INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Mark as watched option  (Read 3390 times)

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
Request: Mark as watched option
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:24:48 pm »

Is it possible to add a Mark As Watched option under the Library tools menu for videos? I have a number of episodes & movies that have been watched to the end that don't have the watched mark appearing in Theater View.

CountryBumkin

Re: Request: Mark as watched option
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »

The Watched mark is working on all my Movies and TV Shows.
Perhaps you should (if not already) add the "Watched field' to your Standard View and see what might be different about those Movies that are not displaying the checkmark.

connersw

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »

My mistake.

dean70

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 06:05:18 pm »

Yes I have a custom field in standard view to show watched status. Issue is the last played remains as never watched in some cases. Most of the time it is updated, but I have a few shows/movies that have not been updated corrctly for whatever reason.

It would be nice to have some user control to set or toggle the watched status from the menus.

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:29:36 pm »

Perhaps you should (if not already) add the "Watched field' to your Standard View and see what might be different about those Movies that are not displaying the checkmark.

Apologies if I'm just being blind, but is there really a field called "Watched"?  I'm trying to mark my SageTV recordings as watched (as appropriate), but for me the metadata fields go from "Volume Name" to "Web Media Info". (right-clicking to get the list of fields).

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »

There are at least two fields that would be useful for determining watched status:

Last Played
Number of Plays

Both of which would let you know that you've watched whatever.

-Chris

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:40 am »

True, but what I thought the below quote meant was "I can manually indicate which shows were watched from outside MC". AKA, a "mark as watched" indicator.  I believe what you're listing is only an indicator of what has been played via MC.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:46:17 am »

True, but what I thought the below quote meant was "I can manually indicate which shows were watched from outside MC". AKA, a "mark as watched" indicator.  I believe what you're listing is only an indicator of what has been played via MC.

Yes, what I'm listing is as you surmised. But wouldn't the field have to be something that MC as well as other programs could access, such as a tag, and therefore it would be listed in among the choices I mentioned? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole question.

Chris

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:50:15 am »

A) I'm on cold medication, should be asleep but it hasn't taken yet, so away I surf.
B) Those fields are read-only, but the post I quoted makes it sound like there's a field I can manually update.

dean70

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:11:46 am »

That's the issue - you cant control or change what has been set, regards to watched. It seems you have to watch all the ending credits to get watched flag set. Who does that?

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 11:31:04 am »

oh, I thought the post I quoted indicated there was manual control.

Hmmm. I'll have to play with this. If you have to watch to the last second thats a pretty huge strike against WAF, like you said, nobody does that.

connersw

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 11:52:57 am »

The watched tag in Theater View is actually controlled by the expression: TVInfo(WatchedDisplay)

To check what it is calculating in Standard View, you need to right click on the header -> Add Expression Column and put it in. 

The threshold is set at 95%, so no, you don't necessarily have to sit through all the credits.  There are other ways that a show may not appear as watched though.  There are some examples in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84964.0

The part I am not exactly clear on, and maybe Matt or MrC could shed more light, is how the Bookmark tag works.  From what I've read, the Watched function works off of Bookmark vs Duration, but it does not give a simple Yes/No answer.  It can also provide Date.  So is it looking at the Number of Plays or Last Played tags at all or is all the information carried in the Bookmark number?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

The part I am not exactly clear on, and maybe Matt or MrC could shed more light, is how the Bookmark tag works.  From what I've read, the Watched function works off of Bookmark vs Duration, but it does not give a simple Yes/No answer.  It can also provide Date.  So is it looking at the Number of Plays or Last Played tags at all or is all the information carried in the Bookmark number?

If I recall correctly, a video is considered watched at 90%.  [Last Played] is used in the human-readable Watched(0) output string.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dean70

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »

If I recall correctly, a video is considered watched at 90%.

That might be the issue - if you switch off at the start of the credits, you may come just under the 90%. The other scenario is when you skip through the opening sequence in a TV episode - these could go for 5+ mins. I usually skip if I watching multiple episodes. It gets a bit tedious watching the same sequence over and over  :-\

I noticed a similar request in the other thread here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84964.msg580774#msg580774

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »

The 90% is triggered when the playback marker passes 90% of the video's duration.  It isn't affected by seeking.  In other words, it is a simple Where Am I Now test - once the playback position hits 90% duration, Watched is TRUE.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

connersw

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 07:55:41 am »

Thanks for the correction MrC.  I got that number from looking at old threads with questions about how to change it; I must have been looking at one that was too old.

What's remarkable is the number of threads going back a number of MC versions requesting the same thing: changing a video to be shown as watched.  Whether that is accomplished by a mark as watched option or making Number of Plays editable, the intent is the same.  It would be nice to see a simple solution implemented rather than the current work-arounds (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up