INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newby audio question  (Read 1975 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Newby audio question
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:04 am »

Ok so I have taken the plunge and bought MC19 and so far I am very impressed with the video quality (my main reason for switching from XBMC), but I am still having some problems with audio, probably because I do not understand how things work. I had a good look at the audio advice page and I understand how that may be relevant to people using a computer to watch MC19 on but I am using a MacMini with bootcamp, linked to a Denon AVR-X3000 and I want to by=pass the sound card on the Mini completely and send all audio directly to the receiver. However, whatever I try the receiver keeps on telling me it is in simulated Dolby surround mode, even if I play films with DTS, 5.1 etc. multichannel sound. What am I doing wrong? I tried setting audio to Digital Audio HDMI Direct sound, but it makes no difference. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newby audio question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:10:52 am »

Go back to the default (WASAPI) since that will allow exclusive mode and bypass Windows sound processing.

If you want the Denon to decode the audio (which is what it sounds like) you need to enable bitstreaming under settings in the audio options. This isn't the preferred method, however, since you negate the benefits of using a computer to decode the audio, namely videoclock, sound leveling, enhancements, timing, etc.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:16 am »

When I switch bit streaming on I get an error message "Playback could not be started on the selected audio output". What output is required for bit streaming.

Also, I am quite happy to let the computer do the job if it does a good job. I checked the windows audio options and noticed that although the HDMI driver is set as the default it only supports stereo at CD bit rates.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:35 am »

The wiki has a topic on bit streaming.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:28:31 am »

I checked the windows audio options and noticed that although the HDMI driver is set as the default it only supports stereo at CD bit rates.

You need to fix this problem first. Try updating your A/V drivers. Test surround sound using the Windows speaker configuration.

What output is required for bit streaming.

Your output should match the device you are using to send the audio.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »

I guess you are right about getting things to work in Windows first, but this is easier said than done on a MacMini running bootcamp. When running XBMC on the Mini the Mac sound settings are 2 channel CD quality too, but XBMC still manages to output whatever format the video sound is in. I guess that means they use some sort of bitstream too? I don't actually get it, why does MC or any other package want to mess with the sound. Surely we want to hear it exactly as it has been recorded? So why not bypass sound cards altogether? After all, nobody in his right mind would want to convert the video to another format first either (unless there is a real need)?

I would love to hear from anyone who also has a MacMini with bootcamp running MC19/18 and does manage to get real surround sound.

I do not understand what is meant by "the output should match the device you are using to send the audio". Isn't bitstream the same as pass-through and if so why does the device matter if I am using an HDMI connection. In fact, I don't understand why my HDMI connection in Windows is limited to anything at all. Doesn't the sound and video go straight through without any interference from drivers?

I tried the wiki on bitstreaming but no luck; at least not on http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions where the topic does not appear. I read http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes but again the topic does not appear there either. This is the bit that surprised me: all the talk here is about different ways of communicating with the sound card.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:07:54 pm »

It is Windows Direct Sound that 'interferes' with the Audio path, hence BryanC advising you to use WASAPI instead.
Have you loaded a driver for your GPU yet or are you still using the default driver that was provided when you installed Windows?
What is your graphics card listed as under Device Manager?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Connection_Type

There is a difference between decoding and processing.

Your HDMI is 'limited' by the hardware it is connected to. Your Denon is exposed to the OS.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 05:23:18 pm »

I am glad I can report some progress. After some searching for comments by others running bootcamp with W7 on a MacMini I learned that installing legacy AMD Catalyst drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx might solve the problem in Windows at least ... and it did. All of a sudden the HDMI option showed not just stereo but everything up to 7.1 surround. Back in MC19 bitstream suddenly worked as well. What doesn't work is the HDMI Wasabi driver which just gives me stereo. Any ideas?

Could someone like BryanC explain why having the sound processed by MC19 and the mini is better than sending it straight to my surround receiver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up