INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smiling all over the house  (Read 5108 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Smiling all over the house
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »

So last night, I was sitting at home in the media room.

- I was listening to Archive's Londonium album (trip-hop), while working on a website. I was playing this on my HTPC via an Onkyo TX-NR3010 in glorious 11.1 DTS:Neo-X Music, upmixed from a 'Pronounced Surround Field' JRSS 7.1 PCM stream.

- My 4 year old daughter was dancing to the Crazy Frog remixes of Axel-F and the Theme from Dallas in the dining room. This was playing on my Onkyo TX-NR717 in 7.1 (all-channel stereo) via DLNA from my HTPC acting as server.

- In the basement, my Onkyo TX-NR5010 was also acting as a DLNA renderer and playing Selah Sue in 11.1 too.

- Finally, I was using JRemote on my iPad to play a Seal album to 'This Device', but was forwarding that to a 2.1 LG Cube via AirPlay in one of the basement bedrooms.

I could control all aspects of playback from my iPad using ORemote and JRemote and iRule and the LG BlueTooth app to control the Cube. 90% of all the tasks could be achieved with just JRemote. I walked around the house smiling ear to ear. Just a few years ago, this level of control and quality would have cost a huge fortune on top of the basic music playback hardware. We live in a time that was sci-fi when I was a kid.

There's something a lot more satisfying about using MC, DLNA and JRemote over a Sonos system.

Thank you, JRiver and Lespaul. (Honourable mention to Onkyo, author of ORemote, LG, and iRule)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Smiling all over the house
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:49 pm »

I was thinking something similar myself a few days ago when I was sending music all over the house from my chair in the living room.  It really makes me feel like I'm "living in the future," in a way that few other things in day to day life do. 

Living the (audio) dream  ;D 

[P.S.- Archive is amazing!]

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:45:19 pm »

[P.S.- Archive is amazing!]

I've had Londonium for almost a decade now, so this week I got  lot of their other albums. Haven't had a chance for a proper listen yet, but nothing compares to that first album from what I've heard so far.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:52 pm »

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:58:44 pm »

Very cool...

I thought It was amazing to link my "Patio" Zone (onboard analog out to Yamaha) to my "Living Room" Zone (onboard digital out to Yamaha) and control playback from Gizmo on my phone back in the day. MC was the only software I knew that could control both onboard sound devices separately.

Love this software!!

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:47:32 pm »

With a lot of my house automated, I sometimes get a phone call at work from my wife (technophobe) asking me to put on music for her or a show. So I remotely get the AVR on, dim the lights, turn on the subs and get a movie started from a remote library client. Or put on music in the dining room for my daughter's dinner.
So amazing what we can do these days. I love to have all 3 TB of music accessible on a 16 GB iPhone with JRemote when I'm walking or in the car.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:19:45 am »

Thanks for sharing fitbrit.

My family went and visited my parents for Thanksgiving.  My Dad is a really smart guy, but not particularly techie.

He's slowly using Media Center more and more.  On Thanksgiving, he was using a tablet running Gizmo to control music playing from MC in different zones around the house.  Then later we watched a football game time-shifted from the couch using Media Center.

It was neat to me how seamlessly media from a variety of sources was flowing around the house.  It was even neater that it was setup and run by someone that's not a super geek.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »

Thanks for sharing fitbrit.

My family went and visited my parents for Thanksgiving.  My Dad is a really smart guy, but not particularly techie.

He's slowly using Media Center more and more.  On Thanksgiving, he was using a tablet running Gizmo to control music playing from MC in different zones around the house.  Then later we watched a football game time-shifted from the couch using Media Center.

It was neat to me how seamlessly media from a variety of sources was flowing around the house.  It was even neater that it was setup and run by someone that's not a super geek.

Cool! Now if only my wife would be as willing to learn. She's mad that she needs to find her phone to switch on the coffee machine if it's outside the auto on/off hours we've programmed the outlet for. :)

Maybe we should hold an informal competition: Find the longest distance between client and server for playing music/video without hitch using MC. (I wonder whether jmone would give me his library access code?).
A few weeks ago, I streamed HD video from my house to a friend's trial version of MC19. I have a 10 MBit upload, but a sad router currently, so it was a bit stuttery on occasion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up