INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UI Bug in Group Headings  (Read 1026 times)

RJC

• Junior Woodchuck
UI Bug in Group Headings
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:30:22 am »

'Various Artists' is being displayed in group headings even when there is a known Album Artist (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29).  Original discussion at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85110.0

I was hoping this would be fixed in 19.0.82.  Any chance of fixing it in the next build?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: UI Bug in Group Headings
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:31:50 am »

I've linked your posts in the beta forum. Developers typically read all the posts but not always give feedback whether something ends up on their TODO list.

Thanks for your patience.

RJC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

Thanks,

It's good to know that it's being looked at.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

hmmm. If this is a bug its been here for awhile at least since version 16. I think its more of a suggestion maybe?

Quote from: linked Wiki page
Here is the logic. A track is a mix if all the files with the same [Album] value in the same directory:
Have more than one [Artist] value among them

I think this by design personally. In RJC's photo this is an easy fix by simply enable a pane edit and select out Music (Soulchild) and on track 15 (not shown)  "featuring Hollywood". After that Beverley Knight will show up instead of Various Artists.

In electronic music, club/dance stuff  and Rap you find this issue all the time. In Jazz they don't even bother most of the time - pretty rare to see a Miles Davis album listing  "feat. John Coltrane" on the same track. What I do is add these people to a "soloist" field. (in allmusic guide they are under credits for eg.) If I have two principal artists in the AlbumArtist field I tag it "Artist A & Artist B". In the artist field it would be in all tracks "Artist A; Artist B"

I can see where this might be really important to know though,  that I can understand too -- when it really is to me, I retag the track name =>  eg. your photo 5 [track] Beautiful Contradiction - feat. Musiq (Soulchild) [Name] Beverley Knight [Artist]

Anyway lots of ways to skin a cat, I'm used to it the way it is. I could live with it if it changes too  :)

RJC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:42 am »

Thanks Arindellle,

I am only talking about the Album Artist tag (not the track Artist tag).  Every CD that I rip has an Album Artist which is usually the person/band/entity that made/produced the album. This person/band/entity may not necessarily be an artist on any of the tracks (see below).  As you mentioned, many Jazz, Soundtrack, Dance, World and Rap albums may not have a single Album Artist but some do (as shown below).  I agree that most of the time, tracks with mixed artists are often set to 'Various Artists' when ripped but this is not always true (as in the Beverley Knight album above).

WMP seems to get it right. See example below.

My point is that an album always has a single album artist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up