INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering Problem with Blu-ray and DTS-HD HRA  (Read 2280 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Mastering Problem with Blu-ray and DTS-HD HRA
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:52:06 am »

When using either the built-in decoder, or the Arcsoft DTS decoder, the left and right channels are being flipped with DTS-HD HRA tracks - either that or the disc I was watching is not mastered correctly. I think the left and right rear channels are being flipped as well (it looked that way in LAV Audio's status window) but I'm downmixing everything to stereo. I can provide a sample if necessary.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:39 am »

2. When using either the built-in decoder, or the Arcsoft DTS decoder, the left and right channels are being flipped with DTS-HD HRA tracks - either that or the disc I was watching is not mastered correctly. I think the left and right rear channels are being flipped as well (it looked that way in LAV Audio's status window) but I'm downmixing everything to stereo. I can provide a sample if necessary.

Well here's a sample showing the channels being flipped if you need it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j56w92

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:19:10 am »

Well here's a sample showing the channels being flipped if you need it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j56w92

If it happens with both decoders, i would argue your sample is just mastered that way. Unless you can prove the opposite. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:31 am »

If it happens with both decoders, i would argue your sample is just mastered that way. Unless you can prove the opposite. :)
Well it's very obviously flipped, but I would be surprised that a disc managed to be released that way and no-one else has noticed. I had a look at a couple of reviews and didn't see anything mentioning it.

I'll see if I have any other films using DTS-HD HRA, but it might take a while.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:14 am »

OK, I have now gone through most of my Blu-ray collection and have found a total of five films which have DTS-HD HRA tracks.

Two of them basically send all audio except the soundtrack through the center channel, so they were no use for this test.
Two of them have the left and right channels correct.
And one of them has the left and right channels flipped.

So it's not definitive, but it looks like this was probably a mastering error.

I know that I can flip the left and right channels via the Parametric EQ, but is there any way to mark the file in a way that will do this automatically? (similar to the tagging madVR offers)
Pages: [1]   Go Up