INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist in MC 19 (Linux)  (Read 1912 times)

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Smartlist in MC 19 (Linux)
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:32 am »

Assistance, please. I have been running Media Jukebox 8 since it was MJ7 and have accumulated over 10+k of songs (files) which are categorized in MJ8 by genre. Generally by multiple genres. Having had it with Windows, I was just waiting for JRiver to come up with a Linux version. I have copied into Linux MC 19 my music files.  I've read the "smartlist" info, but it doesn't seem to cover imported files already labeled by multiple genres.

Example: I have "What's New" by Julie London with the genres  Romance, Mood, Female Vocal, Torch,

My questions:
1) How can I set up smartlists using these already "genred" files?
2) How can I set up the "do not play this genre" since I wish to not play Christmas music before Thanksgiving or after New Years?

Do I need to download a "trial" of MC 19 onto Windows, set up smartlists there with my existing files  and then copy these files to Linux MC 19?

Thanks,
tlcmd

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Smartlist in MC 19 (Linux)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »

I haven't used the Linux versions of MC yet, but smartlists would be the same on all platforms.

Create the smartlist, and use the Edit Smartlist editor to select Genre is any and select your genres from the pick list.

In that smarlist, add another Rule to say Genre is not any and select Christmas.  If you're asking about how to ensure the smartlist only excludes this genre during a certain period of time, this will require some slightly more custom rules.  Ask for more help if this is the case.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:32:40 pm »

Thanks for the reply. This lack of the ability to exclude any genre from playing is a pain. It is present in the old MJ8 and I (mistakenly assumed) that this feature would be carried forward into future JRiver Media Centre editions. The main reason I am upgrading to MC 19 is because I'm tired of dealing with all the trials and tribulations of Windows.

My wife, over the past week has been constantly on the phone with Microsoft (for hours, literally) who cannot square away her old XP so she can get Turbotax to run on it, and guess what; the 2013 Turbotax will not run on Windows 8.1 (although it runs on XP, Vista, 7, & 8.) Turbotax support finally told her that after several hours of trying to get it up and running on 8.1 She just passed by and told me that Microsoft cannot fix it and gave up.

I can run MJ8 on Linux (Mint Debian Edition), but the chief drawback is that it doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive, so I have to download my cd's through another program into my music file, import them into MJ8 on Linux, and then convert to a compressed music format with MJ8. Back to the drawing board.

Again, thanks for your help.
tlcmd aka Dick)

MrC

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:26 am »

This lack of the ability to exclude any genre from playing is a pain.

Sorry, what do you mean by this?

You CAN selectively include or exclude by any variety of criteria, including genres.  I didn't give an exact rule for creating the particular smartlist whose contents depends on dates simply because I wanted to be sure that's what you wanted.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:17:08 am »

I can run MJ8 on Linux (Mint Debian Edition), but the chief drawback is that it doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive, so I have to download my cd's through another program into my music file, import them into MJ8 on Linux, and then convert to a compressed music format with MJ8. Back to the drawing board.

MC19 for Linux will eventually support CD/DVD drives to rip and convert, but this will take time. MC19 is currently considered alpha or pre-release. There are other options to rip under Linux although I haven't personally looked into it. Conversion should work with MC19 after ripping.

You could also install VirtualBox (free virtualization for Linux) and run your choice of Windows in a Vm and rip that way.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
MrC Smartlist in MC 19 (Linux)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

MrC,
Sorry about this very wordy answer, but I hope it clarifies my problems and the options I hope will eventually be incorporated into the Linux Version of MC 19.

If you will download the old version of Media Jukebox 8.0.400 and create several "smartlists," you will find those smartlists also listed when you go to the buttons beneath the "play time" indicator (bar) on the lower left corner of the screeen. The furthest one to the right will open "Playback Options," "Playback Filter," and "DSP Studio." Left clicking that  leftmost button will allow you to then left click "Playback Options." Your choices are "Do Not Filter,"  "Play Only." and "Skip." Skip allows you the option to skip (not play) any specific "smartlist." I use genres (frequently multiple genres) as my "smartlists's labels" and so any smartlists'  can include one or more genres. By electing to "skip" Christmas," I can play any smartlist, albume, artist, or the whole library and MJ8 will not play any songs which have "Christmas" as one of the genres in the genre properties of that song.

I am hoping that MJ19 will have that same set of options within it. (I bet $25 on it when I purchased the license.)

And MJ8 will download to Linux Mint Debian Edition via WINE, but when downloaded into this Linux distro, it will not recognize my dvd/cd drive(s) and also not allow the "equalizer to be used. Otherwise it runs as it does in Windows 98 through XP. Thus I have to download my songs into the Music file via another method (from emails to importing via the dvd/cd drive into another program which recognizes the dvd/cd drive) then import those "new" songs into MJ8 and convert them into a compressed mode such as mp3 or ogg.

Since Linux can "see" into my Windows  partition, I can also copy and paste these songs from the Windows Partition into the music folder on my LMDE one. However, I plan to switch completely to LMDE in the near future as Microsoft is withdrawing support from XP on 8 April 2014.

Did I clarify my situation and problems and hopes for the Linux version of MC 19 (I hope)?

Have a Harmmmmmmoniously Happy Christmas,
tlcmd (aka Dick)

MrC

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »

See if this works for you.  Go to your playlist or smartlist under Playlists.  You'll see a list of files.  In the Search box in the upper right of MC, type -g=christmas, and then cilck the Play button.  This Search specified to cull Genre=Christmas, and Play will act on the files in the list, playing no Christmas music.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:15:30 am »

MrC,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot. Hope that MC 19 (Linux version) will incorporate and improve on the smartlist options  there are on the older versions, especially MJ8. Are these present int the Windows version of MC 19?
tlcmd (AKA Dick)
Pages: [1]   Go Up