INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question about JRiver streaming audio -> DLNA renderer  (Read 11867 times)

ikarius

• Recent member
Quick question about JRiver streaming audio -> DLNA renderer
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »

So, I just finally picked up a Marantz SR6007 AVR, which happens to actually be a DLNA renderer.  I noticed that I can (from gizmo) select "play to -> Marantz SR6007", and it works, out of the box.  The one thing I note is that when I do so, the Marantz says it's playing "MP3 320kb" music.  My entire music collection is in FLAC format.  Is JRiver downsampling my music to stream it to the Marantz, or is JRiver streaming bit-perfect audio, and the Marantz unit doesn't really know what format it's playing?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Quick question about JRiver streaming audio -> DLNA renderer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:46 am »

At a guess I would say that it is being converted at the MC end. Check your DLNA settings in MC - I think the audio format should be set to "Original" or "Convert when necessary" if you want to play FLAC natively.

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:37:13 am »

To confirm, the DLNA settings are under Tools->Options->Media Network->Client Options-> Audio Conversion, correct?

I've currently got it set to "never convert", but this isn't entirely making sense. If FLAC is a format the Marantz AVR does not understand, how's it converting it to MP3?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:32:44 am »

To confirm, the DLNA settings are under Tools->Options->Media Network->Client Options-> Audio Conversion, correct?

I've currently got it set to "never convert", but this isn't entirely making sense. If FLAC is a format the Marantz AVR does not understand, how's it converting it to MP3?

Many renderers can only support L16 (lossless PCM) or MP3 (lossy). So if the Marantz won't play your Flacs, you should try setting MC to always convert to L16.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:27:29 pm »

Hmm.  I've tried setting JRiver to "Always convert Audio", and "Encoder: PCM 16", but my Marantz still shows me MP3 (320) as the format it's playing.   Any way I can troubleshoot this further to figure out whether
   a)  This is a display limitation, and the Marantz is actually receiving PCM 16 audio
   b)  JRiver is concluding that the Marantz only supports MP3 and is transcoding to MP3 despite the settings
   c)  JRiver is sending PCM 16 audio, and the Marantz is transcoding it to MP3 ( I'd consider this highly improbable, but it's on the list of possibilities for completeness)

csimon

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

Have you inadvertently got 2 DLNA servers set up in MC? i don't know, try deleting the server completely and add a new one. Also reset it by turning off Media Network, exit MC, then start it again and enable Media Network.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »

Maybe you're not setting it in the right place.  It's under Media Network/DLNA/Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:45:26 am »

Sigh.  You're right, I wasn't setting it in the right place.  I wondered about that earlier and asked- you can see the message earlier in the thread;  I was setting things under Media Network->Client Options, rather than under the server portion.  Anyhow, I reconfigured the server, set it to always send the format specified, and tried both "PCM L16 no header" and "PCM  16 bit", as well as trying "original" format, and when I tell it to send to the Marantz AVR, I see the track show up on the screen, but it then runs a loading spinner for a while, and then gives up. So, it's looking like the Marantz unit doesn't support ANY format besides MP3. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:57:08 am »

Did you try their support forum?  Or an Internet search?

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:53:30 am »

I think next step is to contact marantz, as the manual for the unit claims support for WMA, MP3, WAV, MPEG-4 AAC, FLAC, JPEG, and ALAC.   As far as FLAC goes, it claims it supports pretty much every sampling frequency you could dream up, so it SHOULD be able to play my FLAC files directly.

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »

It WORKS!  I'm going to guess that having recently tried the PCM L16 and no-header options had gotten the Marantz confused, and when I tried "original format", it was still confused.  After poking for a while, and going back to the "original format" option, it's suddenly working, and reporting the type as FLAC along with the sample rate for the track.  Now gizmo  on my tablet lets me control the whole thing from my tablet, which is what I've been missing when using Airplay.  Thank you so much for the pointer to the correct place to configure the DLNA streaming format!

Pages: [1]   Go Up