INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audirvana Plus "Direct Mode" equivalent in MC?  (Read 7735 times)

santakrooz

Audirvana Plus "Direct Mode" equivalent in MC?
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:07:33 am »

Hi, coming from Audirvana Plus - I use Direct Mode (coreaudio bypass) & Integer Mode with my D1 DAC. Is there an equivalent setting to direct mode in MC? I only see options to use CoreAudio.

thx
SK

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audirvana Plus "Direct Mode" equivalent in MC?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:11:28 pm »

If I am not mistaken Direct Mode in Audivrana bypasses other processes to go directly to Core Audio which is the same function served by JRiver CoreAudio function.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

santakrooz

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:59:41 pm »

Audivrana bypasses other processes to go directly to Core Audio which is the same function served by JRiver CoreAudio function.

Audirvana's Description: "Direct Mode shortens further the audio signal by bypassing all CoreAudio, even its lowest level HAL layer."

Maybe it's semantics, but Audirvana seems to tout bypassing CoreAudio altogether.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:59 am »

Media Center uses CoreAudio which is just as "direct" as anything else you could use.  Core Audio is an architecture with several layers, created and thoroughly tested by Apple engineers over many years, and trusted by Pro audio recording systems to deliver bit-perfect audio between application software and external hardware.  Anything that claims to "bypass" CoreAudio is just replacing one or more layers with software they wrote to do the same task.  Which do you trust more?

Here's a detailed article comparing various audiophile players on Mac, including Audirvana.  Audirvana "Direct Mode" brings nothing to the table:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-bit-perfect-audiophile.html
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up