INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Get well, Matt.  (Read 155768 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Get well, Matt.
« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:25 pm »

Hopefully you put Windows 8.1 on that thing.  ;) ;D

Windows 8 "vanilla" is... Well.  Let's just say I hope it isn't too long before Matt and Jim have a conversation like this one.  ::)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #351 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:29 am »

Hopefully you put Windows 8.1 on that thing.  ;) ;D

Windows 8 "vanilla" is... Well.  Let's just say I hope it isn't too long before Matt and Jim have a conversation like this one.  ::)

Ohh <cue sarcasm>, I feel so sorry for poor old Bill. For myself, I tried the upgrade to 8.1 ... and of course failed. I then trawled the interweb and found a method to download an 8.1 image and a temporary licence key for installation. Too easy, once the hard work is done by others.

Back to more important matters .. Now all Matt needs is an internet connection and he'll be back posting on Interact. Hmm, not sure that's counts as rehabilitation but regardless, that sure is fantastic news that he's got it together enough to be working a PC. Seems like the Docs did a good job putting his head back together.

Keep posting more good news ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2014, 06:42:15 am »

[End Windows 8 discussion]

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2014, 06:47:15 am »

Sorry, sorry.  :-[

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:58 am »

He had tubes in his throat for the first ten days or so.  Then they did the tracheotomy and put a tube into his stomach for feeding, so the tubes in his throat could be removed.  Maybe to prevent infection or other complications?

Matt, first and foremost our love to you and your family from down-under in Oz.

It sounds like you are making some good signs of recovery.

My background is in neurology and esp spine but when I trained as a Rehabilitation Physician I was involved in the rehab of people with traumatic brain injuries also. Recovery is a very individual and variable thing depending on all the circumstances. It is clearly a difficult and frustrating time for Matt,family and friends but then again things can change when progress starts to be made. Every body is elated. I remember someone asking me in a job interview, "don't you find Rehabilitation Medicine depressing?" My answer, "only if you're doing it the wrong way !".

We used to regularly hold information conferences for people to explain what was happening. I hope the following does not sound too clinical, it is not meant to be.

Re Tracheostomy -  is a hole made just below the "adam's apple" and into the trachea (the trachea is the main airway tube or "windpipe" to the lungs. The trachea then branches into smaller airway tubes like the bronchi etc.

A breathing tube (cannula) is inserted into the tracheostomy hole and a cuff around the cannula is blown up (like a bun around a [hollowed out] hot-dog). Thus the cuff  closes the gap between the inside of the tracheal wall and the inserted cannula tube. This allows air to be pushed through the cannula, into the lungs, without it leaking back around the sides, and secondly prevents stuff going down the trachea into the lungs that shouldn’t be there eg excess mucus or food "going down the wrong way" ie aspiration/regurgitation of stomach contents coming up the oesophagus (swallowing tube) and back down the wrong way into the trachea . Stuff into the lungs that shouldn’t be there promotes infection.

The commonest reason to need a tracheostomy is to provide mechanical ventilation (breathing) and/or protect the airway from aspiration for more than a week or so . Lesser time periods of ventilation are provided by an "endotracheal tube" (the thing that goes through the mouth down into the lungs eg when you have a major Op and are anaesthetized and ventilated). It is impractical to have an endotracheal tube for medium or longer term.The tracheostomy also provides access for the nurses to suck out any secretions or material accumulating.

The tracheostomy/cannula bypasses the nose and mouth as the air entry points for breathing. The vocal cords in the larynx are also bypassed so very little speech can occur with insufficient air movement across the vocal cords. A few words might be said. If the cuff is deflated it allows the person to breathe on their own (sucking air around the sides of the cannula and via nose and mouth, and to test their ability to do so. It also makes it easier to move air across the vocal cords and therefore speak more easily.Blocking the opening with a finger will also allow the mechanical possibility of normal breathing and speech. If someone is breathing ok by themselves the tracheostomy can be closed over with a window allowing just suctioning secretions when needed.

Generally people are weaned off ventilators, trache cuffs left deflated for variable periods and speech, breathing and swallowing abilities tested under controlled conditions. Apart from any mechanical considerations explained above, speech communication starts to be tested at higher levels also ie degrees of language comprehension as well as language verbal expression, reading and writing. Motor and sensory capacities are also progressively tested, cognitive and perceptual abilities and visuospatial areas.

Matt, keep up the good work !

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2014, 03:17:53 am »

Matt's progress is excellent, it will not be long before he can handle a flock of Chickens!

Well done to all those supporting him, it makes all the difference  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #356 on: February 15, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »

I was playing music today.. playing music and having a drink.
I couldn't help but think about you Matt.

I drink and pray to your quick and full recovery. A très bientôt Matt!

Jim, thanks for the good news.

Christian.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: February 15, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

Sorry we can't be there to buy you a drink, Christian.

I saw Matt this afternoon.  He's making physical progress, though with a few setbacks.  His speech is coming back well.  We could carry on a simple conversation today.  

He is able, with some effort, to speak in complete sentences.  He remembered that John and Bob visited him yesterday and that we all work together at JRiver.

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #358 on: February 15, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »

Wow this is pretty intense. Sending my best wishes.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2014, 07:29:24 pm »

It's great to get good news about Matt here. :)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »

He remembered that John and Bob visited him yesterday

that's great and suggests PTA (post traumatic amesia - specifically anterograde amnesia) is resolving/resolved. While not without some controversy, the return of laying down new memories and shorter durations of PTA are generally held as good prognostic signs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2014, 06:46:55 am »

I received this today in e-mail from Brooke:

"I thought you might like to know that Matt played with my phone and Gizmo yesterday. When I started the program, he went through the screens so quickly it might have been muscle memory. He went to home/playing here, then to audio/genre and scrolled down the list before handing it back to me. Then I showed him that under video he could find our home movies. He navigated that a while and played two movies we took of the kids around Christmas.

"It was neat to see him navigate it so well and to see his interest in the content."

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:26 am »

That's good news Jim.

Glad he is on the mend.

Best wishes to him and his family.

John from Scotland

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2014, 10:25:33 am »

I received this today in e-mail from Brooke:

"I thought you might like to know that Matt played with my phone and Gizmo yesterday. When I started the program, he went through the screens so quickly it might have been muscle memory. He went to home/playing here, then to audio/genre and scrolled down the list before handing it back to me. Then I showed him that under video he could find our home movies. He navigated that a while and played two movies we took of the kids around Christmas.

"It was neat to see him navigate it so well and to see his interest in the content."

Of course, Matt may start generating requests for changes to Gizmo.

Very positive signs.

Bill

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2014, 11:08:20 am »

So pleased to hear about Matt's progress. I check this thread at least once a day and while I have no medical expertise, it sounds like he's doing really well.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

... I took him a notebook PC today and set it on his lap.  ....
...He got the password on his second attempt, without any prompting from me.

He's coming back.  I'm so happy for him and for his family.
That is GREAT!  Nothing like a little more familiar stimuli!

Chico
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

dgilgonzalez

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »

Nice to read that Matt is getting better day by day.

Daniel

chewie

« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2014, 07:24:45 am »

Hi

Just want to send my best wishes and praying for Matt's speedy recovery

BR from Denamrk

Michael

hifidr

« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:20 am »

I just heard about Matt's accident yesterday and have read through all the good wishes. I can only add my happiness that Matt is on the road to recovery. Matt, even though our communications have been brief, I could see immediately what a good person you are the first time we met. I thank you for what you have done for me and I am thankful that you have such a loving wife, parents who did right by you, a daughter who loves her father, and an employer with soul. Keep up your spirits Matt throughout your recovery.

Charles Zeilig, Denver

Archimago

• Recent member
« Reply #369 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:36 am »

Thanks for the updates and it's great to see the trajectory in recovery.

Keep up the great work, Matt!

gappie

« Reply #370 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »

im just really happy that matt is making such a progress.  8)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:00 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:22 pm »

Lots of good news today.  I visited Matt this morning.  He had been to physical therapy, so he was tired, but alert.  At PT, he was nearly standing on his own.

He recognized me right away and began to talk.  He is occasionally a little foggy, but he is often very coherent.  When I saw him a week ago, he was able to speak a sentence.  Today he could carry on a simple conversation.  His memory is much better.  He remembered a password I told him a week ago, without any prompting.  He still remembers nothing about the accident or even about the 5 weeks he spent in the previous hospital, most of it in intensive care.

His parents were there and his dad said he's doing well on cognitive testing.  They showed him a map with a compass on it, with pictures of a house and objects around it.  They asked him which direction (N, S, E,  or W) each object was from the house.  He got them all right.

He's there.  His fine mind is coming back.

For the first time, he displayed significant emotions.  Things that make him happy make him cry a little.  He has his sense of humor again.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #373 on: February 22, 2014, 05:50:19 pm »

Thanks for the uplifting update Jim, it made my day. Matt will be back to WDM in no time that is Wonderfully Dynamic Mind, it is obvious he is building momentum.
Sean

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2014, 08:29:51 pm »

^^^^^^

Well said.  The updates since he moved to the new hospital have all been very positive, uplifting and showing momentum.   Just wonderful to hear.

FastKayak / Larry

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:31 pm »

we take for granted many things, Life is very fragile.

thanks for the update.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Thanks for the update.

The dude is smiling and his eyes are shining. The picture tells a lot. Excellent stuff.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2014, 10:37:43 pm »

Great news!  It also appears that when the US is asleep he logs into Interact to see what is happening!
JRiver CEO Elect

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2014, 03:06:58 am »

Really good news! :)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2014, 03:07:13 am »

Great news!

He's probably sneaking out of his room at night to find a pc to hack :P.

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2014, 05:19:22 am »

Just heard today about Matt.
Happy to listen that recovery is going well.
Wish Matt all the best !!!
A strong hug from Italy,
Massimo

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:59 pm »

Matt called me today.  I had asked Brooke to see if he would do it.  I think she gave him the phone and he probably pressed the call icon next to my name. 

Me:  "Hello."
"Hi, Jim"

"Matt!  How are you?
"I'm OK."

"Matt, you're good now.  I'm so happy to hear from you."
"Yeah, I thought it would be interesting to call you."

"Well, now you can order pizza.  Call me anytime if you need something."
"OK.  Well, I better go now."

"Bye."
"Bye."

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »

Very good news. 
Keeping Matt and his family in my prayers and thoughts. 

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »

Hey Matt -

I'm not around here a lot, but just learned of what happened to you.  Please know that there are a lot of us out here wishing the best for you.

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:16 pm »

Every time I log into the forum I check on Matt's progress. There now appears to be a clear pathway that Matt is travelling and each time I log in the news gets better and confirms the improvement in his condition. When I listen to music with MC I think of Matt and his family. I think it is inevitable that we all do the same. Perhaps the collective of forum members are sending collective healing wishes to Matt. It seems to be working and that is great. Matt's family and colleagues have been a wonderful support and they will continue to be instrumental in his full recovery.

Please know that we are all thinking about you Matt and sending good wishes and positive thoughts from all around the globe. Please maintain your progress and get back to full health as soon as you are able.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2014, 11:35:53 pm »

I am so happy to hear Matt is doing much better. Thinking of him and his family each time I load up JRiver MC. Wonderful to hear continuing good news!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:48 pm »

I don't comment in this thread often, but I wanted Matt and his family to know that I've been following his progress with rapt attention (and my wife asks regularly).  Basically since this thread first went up on Interact, I've had it and the CaringBridge page open in tabs on my phone.  It is usually the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last thing I look at before I go to bed.

We're all pulling for you.  Even friends I have here who aren't JRiver customers directly, but know about "the Dog", are pulling for you.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »

Turns out Matt is good with keyboards of all types! 
JRiver CEO Elect

Deanna

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2014, 09:07:27 am »

Good Morning Matt.  I just have to tell you that I was thinking of you this morning while I was sitting in traffic on the Hennepin Avenue bridge, thinking, "why don't I listen to Matt?  Why do I take this route?"  The line of cars stretched from one end of the bridge clear to the other end.  Hopefully, I will get smarter by tomorrow.  I think of you often and always in a good way.  I pray often for you and your family, and am ecstatic at your progress.  Take care of you and try not to get frustrated.  That's what old age is for.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

I'm visiting Matt today.  Here he is:

Hello world.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #390 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »

I don't comment in this thread often, but I wanted Matt and his family to know that I've been following his progress with rapt attention (and my wife asks regularly).  Basically since this thread first went up on Interact, I've had it and the CaringBridge page open in tabs on my phone.  It is usually the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last thing I look at before I go to bed.

This is my morning ritual too. As soon as I wake up, I reach for my phone and check my email for CaringBridge updates or Interact posts in this thread. I read about Matt's progress, and during the last few weeks I inevitbaly smile a little before getting out of bed. Keep up the great work, Matt. And a huge thanks to everyone who is giving us frequent updates so that we can all keep Matt in our thoughts and hopes.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #391 on: February 26, 2014, 03:42:14 pm »

I'd be lucky to bash out chopsticks. I'm betting Matt's doing a much better job:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »

Hi, everyone.

This is Matt's wife Brooke writing. You probably realized that when "Matt" has appeared active on the forum in the past couple of months, it was just me or his dad using Matt's computer and checking the activity on this or other threads.

I have waited too long to tell you this, but I want to say now how very much the JRiver MC community's support has meant to me and to Matt's parents. It touches my heart that so many of you are following Matt's progress and cheering him on. Who knew there were so many good people in the world and that so many of them knew Matt! Your support is unbelievable. Thank you.

As you might have guessed, Jim has been steadfast in his love and support for our family. You are one in a million, Jim. Thank you.

Bob and John continue their Friday lunches with Matt wherever he may be and have helped make him comfortable at the hospital. Deanna has visited and shared a book for Elise to read to her dad. All of this means so much to us.

From the first days after Matt's accident, when he was in a coma, I have been reading your posts aloud to Matt. Now, he occasionally reads them himself. He is overwhelmed, as am I, by your comments and the empathy and caring that comes through them. We hope it won't be long before Matt writes to tell you about it himself.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to each of you.
Brooke Ashland
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2014, 11:20:44 pm »

Ok, Matt.  You've had a long enough rest.  Back to work buddy.

Best wishes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:55 pm »

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to each of you.
Brooke Ashland

Speaking for myself, you're more than welcome. I'd expect that that sentiment is shared by everyone here.

It's warming to read that the support voiced here is being received so well and, even better, Matt can read about it rather than hear of it through the cloud of a coma.

Recovery will obviously take time and it sounds like it will be a little quicker with the encouragement coming from us here. Please keep the good news coming..  ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:33 am »

Hi Brooke,  It is a clear character of the Man to be surrounded by such a strong support group -- hats off to the you, Jim and the rest... you have all done a terrific Job in very difficult circumstances.

For some reason, it reminds me of this Beer add we ran in Australia (for Matt esp the "Men punching above their weight" part).  I was also trying to spread the rumour that it was Matt logging in each night when no one was looking (eg like the "Blokes Chucking a Sickie" part of the ad)..... I hope Jim does not have any Cows....  ;D

Tell him he needs to get back as the Intercom stuff wont get coded by itself!
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2014, 05:12:12 am »

I was also trying to spread the rumour that it was Matt logging in each night when no one was looking (eg like the "Blocks Chucking a Sickie" part of the ad)..... I hope Jim does not have any Cows....  ;D

Brooke, the bloke means "bloke" not "blocks" but I'm sure you get the idea.

Loved that one jmone. I obviously spend too much time watching the ABC. Never saw that piece of Oz culture. Gold mate. I'm sure Matt will have a chuckle when he gets the chance. He certainly isn't in the "dreams of chucking it all in" category, that's for sure... cheers, big ears ...   ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2014, 01:51:31 pm »

Woops fixed my typo!  Also the ads on commercial TV can sometimes be their best content  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »

Hi, everyone.

This is Matt's wife Brooke writing.

Brooke,

I check the hospital site daily... your reports are part of my day.

Having gone through a motorcycleAccident/Concussion... no where near as bad as Matt has experienced...  I really can relate to coming back to full strength.

My first question on waking up in ER with a compound wrist injury and concussion was ... "can I still type?" ...  (well and "where is my chap-stik" ? )

I was so anxious to come back NOW... of course that wasn't gonna happen.

I'm sure Matt wants to be back NOW... I get it....  He has to take his time, hard as it might be.

Having interfaced on-line with Matt for almost a decade now... it's hard to watch his recovery.   But I get it... hang in there Matt !!!

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:12 pm »

Brooke, It was nice of you to post and great to hear of Matt's progress.  I also include this thread as part of my daily ritual when online.
Keep strong and Matt will follow suit.  He has been in our thoughts and prayers since the first post of this thread.
Thank you and Jim for the constant updates and all those who have expressed their concerns and well wishes.

GO MATT!
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up