INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuration of "Generic DNLA" - Video Format  (Read 4257 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Configuration of "Generic DNLA" - Video Format
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:16:50 am »

Hi,

all my videos are converted to MP4-H264. I am streaming the videos to TV from a NAS via a WDTV-Live box.

I recognized that the video format settings for "Generic DLNA" are set to MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream.

Shouldn´t I make the default setting to something like H264 from the menu list? And if yes, no or yes autofps?
Or at least change from NTSC to PAL, as this is what we use here?

So far, video streaming is working fine with the settings, as it is, but maybe there is a lot of converting involved, and it would take away some conversion load from the WDTV Live?

Thx, Alex

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Configuration of "Generic DNLA" - Video Format
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:13:55 am »

Try a few of the options, including changing the mode to "Original" as MC will then try to just stream (no conversion) and if your media is all the same and the client can play it then you are in luck.
JRiver CEO Elect

connersw

Re: Configuration of "Generic DNLA" - Video Format
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:59 am »

MPEG2/DVD NTSC is just the default.  It seems to be chosen since it is probably the most likely to get something just to work.  It does require transcoding though and sacrifices quality.

The conversion quality settings are as follows:
Very high = 1080p
High = 720p
Medium = 480p
Low = 240p
DVD = 480/576

I have been unsuccessful in getting H264-TS to work on the WDTV Live.  However, my video is in all sorts of formats.  If you have everything in MP4 h.264, WDTV Live should play that natively so give jmone's Mode: Original suggestion a try.

With a mix-mash of video formats, I have found MPG2-TS PAL high bandwidth to work best at handling almost all of the files.  Unfortunately, there is no Very High Bandwidth option so I am limited to 720p.  I am hopeful (but loosing hope) that the option will be added:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84313.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up