INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overlooked Features -- JRiver Newsletter, January 2014  (Read 22425 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Overlooked Features -- JRiver Newsletter, January 2014
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:54 am »

Good Day,

If you'd like to know more about JRiver Media Center, here are a few important features that are sometimes overlooked.  All features are available on Windows.  Mac and Linux are audio only at this time.

THEATER VIEW
MC has a "ten foot" interface so you can use it from across the room.  Here's a picture:

You can customize this view -- see "CUSTOM VIEWS" below.

You can set the "zoom" to 150% to get a bigger image:

You can switch to Theater View several ways: From the View Menu, F11, Ctrl-4.  Return with Escape twice, or use the menu.  When in Theater View, use the four arrow keys and the enter key for navigation.  See also the OSD topic on our wiki.

NETFLIX  -- At your fingertips
MC's Theater View has Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube.  This is best when used with a television or projector and controlled with a Media Center Remote or phone remote.

SIZING -- Easier to see
In Standard View, if you're using a television or a high resolution small screen, you may find it useful to increase the size of the graphics.  Here is the default view:

and here's one at 150%

Set "size" in the View menu.

PLAY DOCTOR -- Better than shuffle
Select any album, artist, or track and right click to get "More Play Options", then select "Play with Play Doctor".

This uses your selection as the "seed" for a custom playlist.  It will play your selection and add other similar tracks.  If you skip a track, MC learns to use this as a hint about what else to play.

CAR RADIO -- Save your playlist to a button

On the Playing Now screen, you will see numbered buttons in the middle.  

They work like a car radio.  Start something playing, press and hold a button, and it is saved.  This works for all types of playlists, including Play Doctor and other smart lists.

PHONE REMOTES -- Never leave the couch
On Android, MC can be used with JRiver's free app, Gizmo.  

Gizmo can control your computer remotely, or it can play from your computer to the phone itself.  When combined with a BlueTooth speaker, this gives you a nice way to play music in a garage or patio.  It also has the added benefit of allowing you to leave the monitor or TV off, since the user interface is on the phone.

Press and Hold to get options that might normally be found in a right click menu

Play Doctor by pressing and holding.

Playing Now by pressing and holding the Home icon in the upper left corner

On iOS, JRemote offers similar features.

JRemote Site       JRemote Support on  Interact    

CUSTOM VIEWS -- See only what you want
You can customize the views you see in Gizmo, WebGizmo, and JRemote under MC's Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced.

Views in Theater View can be customized in MC's Tools > Options > Theater View.

IMAGES -- Works with your smartphone

In the Action Window in the lower left corner, you can "Acquire" images from your smart phone.  Select the phone, then edit the options, telling MC whether or not to also delete the files you are acquiring from the phone itself.

Tag the images to add a Genre label or keyword.  Then right click and choose "Move, copy, rename" if you want MC to move them to a different folder.

Delete the photos you don't want from MC.  Read carefully when you do.  Use a shift delete to also remove them from disk.  MC will remember your settings.

Right click on any photo to edit it.  Crop, adjust color, fix artifacts, etc.

Select images and press the play button to play a slideshow.  Use the spacebar to toggle it on and off.

UPGRADE TO MC19
If you've already done so, thank you!  We appreciate your support.  You can always get the latest build of MC19 from the forum and install it without additional charge.

Upgrade to MC19 for Windows

Upgrade to MC19 for Mac

NOT ALL FEATURES are available on all versions.  Mac and Linux have no video or images at this time.

Best Regards,

JRiver

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: Next newsletter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:17:40 pm »

Do we need a comment about the availability of these features in the alternate OS versions?
Perhaps move the Windows specific stuff to the bottom of the list?

We've had some complaints about this in the past, and it seems a little wrong to send a newsletter to Mac/ Linux users highlighting what they haven't got.

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Next newsletter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:38 pm »

Good idea.  It's tough to know where to draw the line since Mac users sometimes buy Windows versions and vice versa.

I've added this at the top and bottom.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRiver Newsletter, January 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:56:46 pm »

Would be nice to add nMedium for Windows Phone since you have mentioned JRemote for iOS.

Grant is actively developing this so would be good to support him.

Richard

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:57:52 am »

Useful stuff Jim. Always something new to learn.

Thanks.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Re: Overlooked Features -- JRiver Newsletter, January 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »

I love the idea of a newsletter.

While I have been using MC for several years now, I am sure that are a plethora of features that I have never even looked at.  Please keep these newsletters coming

Dave

Andyd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »

Thanks for the post... I learned some things!

Any chance of Amazon Prime being added in the future?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »

Amazon doesn't make their services available to us.  We'd love to add it.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:14 pm »

Would love the 'sizing' feature for Purity skin.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

rknox

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:13 pm »

Jim,
Yes newsletter is a great idea.  I have a couple questions aimed at the JRiver Media Center as a HTPC question, which I think you are speaking to here.

First, regarding Netflix, does the JRiver app provide full HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 functionality for streaming Netflix.  You may be aware that the current Netflix app in Windows Media Center does not provide the latest 5.1 capability that is available to Netflix users through Roku and other non-PC based apps.   It is in fact also available in Windows 8/8.1 but unfortunately not as a plugin to WMC.

Second, in general I am most interested in a legitimate HTPC replacement app for WMC.  It would be useful to get an update on progress around cable card tuner support etc.   I believe I saw something indicating the Ceton cards were now being supported.

Thanks,
    Ralph

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »

Useful stuff Jim. Always something new to learn.

Thanks.

So that this good info is not lost, I would suggest that the key content be used to update the relevant Wiki entries.

I've noted here some recent learning about the functionality of Gizmo and recommended it be Wiki'ified:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86903.msg594812#msg594812

One example among many where MC has so much power through flexibility and the trick is a little knowledge to unleash it.

Please continue with the newsletter that includes this format. I think it's a winner. You could think about setting up a separate board dedicated to newsletters ... just thinking ...   :)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »

Ceton and Silicondust are both supported.  Check the TV board here.

Netflix is played via browser in MC, so multichannel sound isn't available.

rknox

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52:50 pm »

Posted by: JimH

Ceton and Silicondust are both supported.  Check the TV board here.

Netflix is played via browser in MC, so multichannel sound isn't available.

Any plans to provide a more robust Netflix experience?   I confess I don't know what is going on with Netflix.  Supposedly the reason for not providing multichannel on PCs is that people using PCs didn't like the sound of 5.1 through stereo speakers - yet the more recent Netflix apps (Windows 8.1) for example provides a language (stereo or 5.1) option so that you can choose.

It is not hard to understand why the Netflix plugin in WMC is out of date, as Microsoft isn't doing anything to WMC period (a big mistake in my opinion not just because they are turning their back on their 5 million or so loyal WMC users, but also because they are losing mindshare in the digital living room / digital convergence space ... ).   JRiver, on the other hand, is actively evolving and enhancing their product - so why not bolster it with the best Netflix experience available?

Ralph

poova

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »

Would it be possible to use an XBox 360 controller (they sell them for PCs as well) to control the 10 foot interface?  Many folks that I know have combined a home theater PC with a gaming PC and using the XBox controller would be easy and ideal.

Thanks,

Scott

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »

Would it be possible to use an XBox 360 controller (they sell them for PCs as well) to control the 10 foot interface?  Many folks that I know have combined a home theater PC with a gaming PC and using the XBox controller would be easy and ideal.
Yes - I use a wireless controller to do this.

You will need a remapping tool - I use Xpadder, as it supports advanced features such as being able to automatically switch profiles on a per-application basis. (so that mapping controls for Media Center does not affect games)

I've attached the profile that I use to my post, if you want to try it.

Left Stick/Dpad: Navigation
    Right Stick up/down: Zoom in/out (video)
    Start: Play/Pause
    Back: Stop
    Lb/Rb: Previous/Next
    Lt/Rt: Seek Backwards/Forwards
    X: Now Playing View
    Y: Toggle Theater View
    A: Accept
    B: Back

One thing I will say is that it's a nuisance when the controller goes to sleep after ~15 minutes, and the triggers are easy to knock accidentally so you may want to disable them or change their function in the profile.

I have similar complaints about using a tablet as a remote - you have to unlock the device and look at the screen in order to control MC.

I think I would prefer a regular "TV Style" remote, where you just pick it up to use it and it works, but those require an IR receiver (ugly) and I have yet to find one for an HTPC that I like. They all have a million buttons and look like they're built to cost 20c.

Hilton

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 05:54:22 pm »

Yes - I use a wireless controller to do this.

You will need a remapping tool - I use Xpadder, as it supports advanced features such as being able to automatically switch profiles on a per-application basis. (so that mapping controls for Media Center does not affect games)

I've attached the profile that I use to my post, if you want to try it.

Left Stick/Dpad: Navigation
    Right Stick up/down: Zoom in/out (video)
    Start: Play/Pause
    Back: Stop
    Lb/Rb: Previous/Next
    Lt/Rt: Seek Backwards/Forwards
    X: Now Playing View
    Y: Toggle Theater View
    A: Accept
    B: Back

One thing I will say is that it's a nuisance when the controller goes to sleep after ~15 minutes, and the triggers are easy to knock accidentally so you may want to disable them or change their function in the profile.

I have similar complaints about using a tablet as a remote - you have to unlock the device and look at the screen in order to control MC.

I think I would prefer a regular "TV Style" remote, where you just pick it up to use it and it works, but those require an IR receiver (ugly) and I have yet to find one for an HTPC that I like. They all have a million buttons and look like they're built to cost 20c.

I have a couple of old Logitech DiNovo Keyboards and the media pad is perfect for MC19 control with Bluetooth. (a separate number pad keyboard)
It has dedicated media controls that work perfectly for play/stop/fwd/rwd/vol and the number pad has a navigation mode so the arrow keys can be used as well as back, close, open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up