INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: nMedium Play: Playback from your server to your Windows Phone  (Read 46922 times)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
nMedium Play: Playback from your server to your Windows Phone
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:02 pm »

'nMedium Play' is the latest remote control software for Windows Phone and J River Media Center.
'nMedium Play' is the first Windows Phone app which supports playback of any of your media files on your phone.

nMedium Play: Your media - anywhere you are

You can see the details of nMedium here.

With nMedium Play you can:

• Access (multiple) password protected servers - including multi zone support
  • Control playback / volume on your server
  • Playback audio, images and videos on your phone
  • Rate your current playing file - either playing locally or remotely
  • Browse and search your library - and set results for playback
  • View/Edit/Update current playlist
  • Edit file meta-data (Genre, Artist, Album name etc.) directly on your phone (tagging)
  • Start playback via Play Doctor.

nMedium Play free to try for 20 days!

Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: nMedium Play: Playback from you server to your Windows Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »

Thanks for your work on this and best of luck with it!

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »

Thanks for your work on this and best of luck with it!

Thanks Jim! And thanks to your team for making all the API's available to make this a possibility.

Still hoping for a better video playback experience for my users, but hopefully someone is looking at it...
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »

It is a great piece of software! The new version looks much better (cleaner) than the previous did and it offers the ability to play files from my library on my phone which is really cool 8 ) Phone playback worked VERY well for me! I had no problems with switching between apps while nMedium was playing my files. Resuming the app is fast enough and works reliable. Controlling nMediums Phone Playback using the Windows Phone audio control (in volume adjustment panel) also works.

Controlling MC using the app is as good as it was before. One new thing I like very much: the ability to jump back to Playing View from ANY library view with one tap. The previous version of nMedium required to hit back several times to get to Playing View. Only a small thing but big impact.

@GrantDG:
You perhaps should use the international link for windows phone store in your first post: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=b43ec7af-cc82-4dee-af94-9cf44a4dc8d3. Using the link you provided only works in Australia because it contains the country code www .windowsphone.com/en-au/store/app/nmedium-play/b43ec7af-cc82-4dee-af94-9cf44a4dc8d3. Outside Australia you get the error message that the app is not available and you should look up in your phone. Clicking the link, you'll be guided to the right location, but using the other link would be a few clicks faster.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »

@GrantDG:
You perhaps should use the international link for windows phone store in your first post:

@StFeder: Thanks for the comments - and link updated!

Krunchy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 05:04:53 am »

can't find it in the windows store (France/belgium)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 06:18:13 am »

can't find it in the windows store (France/belgium)

There's a slight setback with the release - will update when we're back on track (a day or 2 I'm hoping - Microsoft are testing it now)!

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

nMedium Play is once again available on the store...

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »

Is it possible to use nmedium or nmedium play as a remote for a client?  I have been able to play content on my phone or on my server pc but I have not been able to configure it to play content to my htpc witch is set up as a client to the pc server.  Is that an option I'm missing?
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:29:16 pm »

Is it possible to use nmedium or nmedium play as a remote for a client?  I have been able to play content on my phone or on my server pc but I have not been able to configure it to play content to my htpc witch is set up as a client to the pc server.  Is that an option I'm missing?

Hi there,

There's 2 possible solutions I can see for your needs, the choice of which which will depend on your client PC setup.
Now, I'm assuming that you have J River on your 'server' and that it is that one that you are connecting to with nMedium? I'm also assuming that my 'remote control' you are only talking about media control...

(1)
If you have J River installed on your 'client' - you can set up your client J River to act as a 'DLNA Renderer' (Options > Media Network > Use Media Network... > Advanced > check 'DLNA Renderer').
If you don't have J River on the client, and you are running Windows 8, you can configure the client as a DLNA renderer through Windows 8.

On your server, you need to configure J River as a DLNA controller (Options > Media Network > Use Media Network... > Advanced > check 'DLNA Controller')
Though the magic of DLNA, your server J River installation should now be able to see your client as a 'Zone' - any zones that appear in J River will appear in nMedium.

I must admit, I have never used this setup, so I'm not sure if the DLNA protocol allows tagging/rating files to a renderer...

(2)
If you do have J River on your client, you can also configure Media Network on that; and then add a second server in nMedium (via the settings screen).

Although nMedium does support multiple servers, it's a little clunky at the moment (currently there's a bug that changing servers requires a restart of nMedium).

If this option 2 is the best for you, I'll do some work on making multi server support a little more streamlined (I can probably add the multiple servers into the Zone selector which will make it all very simple to switch).

Let me know how you go!

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:17:00 am »

I'm going to play around with option 1 for now.  So far I'm having trouble getting my server to see my htpc as a zone.  I just don't see an option to link to it at all, but I'll keep playing. 

Option 2 sounds like it would work but, correct me if I'm wrong, it would mean I'd be running my htpc as a separate server so that I can connect nmedium to it.  That would make updating the library a real headache... basically negates all the benefits of using a server/client setup. 

And to clarify my setup.  I run JRiver MC 19 on both the server and htpc client.  I use the desktop server to maintain the library, it is connected to my external hard drives where I keep all the media files.  The htpc runs MC19 as a client.  It is running windows 8 and the server windows 7 if that makes any difference.  I use the htpc for movies/tv and the desktop for music. 

I would ideally like to be able to control both from nmedium, I could then use my phone as a remote for either video or music. 

Another separate request.  I just bought a tablet (Dell venue 8) that runs Windows 8 pro.  I was hoping to use it as the htpc remote.  I probably still can using remote desktop or webgizmo, but I was hoping to use nmedium.  I didn't realize it's a phone only app at the time.  Would it be possible for you to make a windows 8 app?
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 04:27:41 pm »

Option 2 sounds like it would work but, correct me if I'm wrong, it would mean I'd be running my htpc as a separate server so that I can connect nmedium to it.  That would make updating the library a real headache... basically negates all the benefits of using a server/client setup.  

How are you connecting your 'client' and your 'server'? If you are going via 'Library Server' - your changes can be automatically synchronised (and are by default), so updates happen auto-magically. Your client can quite happily work as a server in this manner.

Another separate request.  I just bought a tablet (Dell venue 8) that runs Windows 8 pro.  I was hoping to use it as the htpc remote.  I probably still can using remote desktop or webgizmo, but I was hoping to use nmedium.  I didn't realize it's a phone only app at the time.  Would it be possible for you to make a windows 8 app?

I do have a vague long term plan to make a Win 8 App version of nMedium - but it's a massive amount of work, and currently my gains out of nMedium are zilch.

You can always install full J River on your Tablet (since it's a Pro version) and connect to your other computers via Library Server. J River is a bit of a dog to use via touch, but it *can* be done.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: nMedium Play: Playback from your server to your Windows Phone
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 04:37:33 pm »

nMedium Play 2.0.7.0 has been released to the store.

This version add a completely revised first-time start-up process, and completely reworks server setup.

It also adds the ability to connect via a fully qualified domain name (in addition to the previous Access Key and IP address connections)

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:09:17 am »

The latest version crashes consistently when trying to add a server. This happens no matter if I try to setup using an access key, or ip:port. Tried with and without username+password on my server. Sent you an error report using this built-in functionality in your app. I had no problems with the previously released version.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

TCube

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:06 am »

Hello

Très sympa.

Installed few minutes ago  Doing what I can but I sure won't be a serious beta tester.
With MC17.x / Nokia 520 WP8 Release 3 LumiaBlack ,  nMedium Play works for music and MP4 HD720 my main concern - not 100% but works -
nMedium has good connectivity as a Server Playback only testing on Wifi Lan/Home.

TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »

Sent you an error report using this built-in functionality in your app.

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having troubles. I received 2 error reports this morning - not sure which one is yours. Can you send me a PM on here, of via the 'feedback/support' link on the about page of nMedium - I'd like to chat about your issues

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 06:36:11 pm »

Installed few minutes ago  Doing what I can but I sure won't be a serious beta tester.
With MC17.x / Nokia 520 WP8 Black,  nMedium Play works for music and MP4 HD720 my main concern - not 100% but works -
nMedium has good connectivity as a Server Playback only testing on Wifi Lan/Home.

Technically, nMedium only supports MC 18 and above. With 17, most functions will work, but you may experience crashes with nMedium if it tries to access functionality that doesn't exist in 17.

Video playback is generally an issue between J River and Windows Phone, as the 'on demand' video profiles that J River support and the ones that WP can play have an overlap of a single type. It works, but I agree that it's not the best experience.

I'm keeping up my investigations...

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having troubles. I received 2 error reports this morning - not sure which one is yours. Can you send me a PM on here, of via the 'feedback/support' link on the about page of nMedium - I'd like to chat about your issues

Sure thing, I received an email from you and just replied :) I actually sent you 2 error reports, from 2 different phones (from my Nokia Lumia 920, and Nokia Lumia 1520) so I suppose they could both be from me.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 09:30:33 am »

First of all, big thanks to Grant for this AP. It is really awesome to finally have this for my Windows phone. Grant has been extremely responsive and helpful to get some issues that I was having resolved.

One of the problems that I was having involved the application not launching correctly, which we figured was an IP problem. After some careful analysis, I am pretty sure that my JRiver access key was given to more than one computer. Here's what I wrote in another post:

"OK, the key itself was definitely the problem. Now that I reset the key and got a new one, the problem is gone. When the problem did occur, the access key reported a specific internal and external IP address that wasn't mine. Because the problem happened intermittently, my guess is the other owner of that key started and stopped his server at different times. I also would guess that he didn't have an open port on his router which is why I would just get an error message and not a request for credentials."

I really hope that someone address this problem, I am sure that I am not the only one that this has happened to.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:35:05 am »

I till now only use nMedium inside "my" (W)LAN using just the access key to log in. May the described problem apply to this setup, too or is this only true for the usage over the internet?

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:01 pm »

Actually it would affect both. My access key was sporadically grabbing a different internal and external IP address, but it was always the same wrong address which is why I believe it was owned by someone else too.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »

First of all, big thanks to Grant for this AP. It is really awesome to finally have this for my Windows phone. Grant has been extremely responsive and helpful to get some issues that I was having resolved.

One of the problems that I was having involved the application not launching correctly, which we figured was an IP problem. After some careful analysis, I am pretty sure that my JRiver access key was given to more than one computer.

Thanks for the compliments and feedback - and thank you for being willing to do this investigation with myself and J River! It's been most helpful in troubleshooting a problem which I just never saw.

I'll add this detail into the help pages I'm building on my website - I'm sure it will help others too!

TCube

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:27 am »

Hello,

Nmedium Play is worth the buy and upgrading MC to the latest too.
Tested on 2 different laptops : MC17 with NMedium (couch potato use) and MC19 trial version with NMedium Play (upward mobile user). Fantastic !
Thks 4 the support by the way.

TC

(*) Music only, but that's all I need, I don't want my bills sky rocketing.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »

Version 2.1 of nMedium Play has been released to the store... lots of updates and enhancements in this release

Local playback
  • Added support for all of the 'track add' options as when playing back on the server (play now, play next, etc)
  • Added support for all of the 'current playlist edit' options as when playing back on the server (skip to here, remove, etc)

Images
  • Full screen preview now supports multiple images, flick gestures, more zoom and a 'photo list' view
  • Updates to the image thumbnails view (including full support for video thumbnails, single click full screen view and the ability to launch the full screen view with multiple images)

General
  • Changing to a new server immediately updates nMedium to point to the new server (used to require a restart)
  • Updates to the Search screen
  • You can now 'Mute' server playback
  • When tagging a file, you don't need to move away from a field to save it's changes
  • Library views now show thumbnails

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 03:40:16 am »

This was the update I was waiting for :)
Local playback
  • Added support for all of the 'track add' options as when playing back on the server (play now, play next, etc)
  • Added support for all of the 'current playlist edit' options as when playing back on the server (skip to here, remove, etc)
Now I bought it! I hadn't the time to test all the new things but what I can say after playing around with the interface a bit: it is getting better in every respect. All the last updates raised the fun and ease of using nMedium (Play) and brought very useful features.

Thanks GrantDG for this one!

TCube

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 04:43:17 am »

Hello,

I wonder - this may be stupid from my beginner's experience.
Knowing my configuration (multiple PC servers) I thought it would be nice to have the Port mentioned while trying to connect. Users may know instantly their WAN/LAN/DLNA "Current Server" and then try to change the "Current Server" instead of "Server Inaccessible" ---> "Go to Setup".
Otherwise (much later) it's my intention to use NO-IP redirect for different servers (*)

TC

* Names + no-ip.org/info

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 02:47:06 pm »

Knowing my configuration (multiple PC servers) I thought it would be nice to have the Port mentioned while trying to connect. Users may know instantly their WAN/LAN/DLNA "Current Server" and then try to change the "Current Server" instead of "Server Inaccessible" ---> "Go to Setup".
Otherwise (much later) it's my intention to use NO-IP redirect for different servers.

TC

Hi TC,

I think I get the gist of what you're asking - when nMedium starts up, and it cannot connect to the current server - if the user has more than 1 server set up, allow the user to select another server to connect to, rather than going to the server setup page?

I can certainly show the port number during connection.

G

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:06 pm »

Hi all,

Just had someone (username: Bruce) review nMedium Play on the store saying they could not connect to their J River instance. This is a pretty fundamental issue, and may be related to duplicate access key...

I'd be happy to work through the issue with them, but the store provides no way to contact a user.

If Bruce sees this message, please send me a PM on here!

TCube

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 04:52:43 am »

Hello,

I'm sorry Grant but I'm getting frantic with this, all is left is one more week to test.
Some questions to make on multiple Server connections.

- So as to the above : Yes, unless the use of no-IP redirect, port N# would be fine,
- Related : please check if Server N#1 does not respond we'll go to "General Settings" and be able to switch and connect with a Server N#2,
- It will be nice after adding a Server upon the "Settings" menu, NMedium Play wouldn't try to "Save changes" and "Connecting to Server" in an single operation (this is painful if the added Server is off-line, "Save" is made impossible).
- Hum ... I don't really understand "Access Key" versus "IP:Port" ... is "Access Key" mandatory is some cases ? (i.e : "using MC access keys, there is no requirement for an internet DNS entry").

TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 05:44:18 pm »

Hi TC,

I'll start with the last point first

- Hum ... I don't really understand "Access Key" versus "IP:Port" ... is "Access Key" mandatory is some cases ? (i.e : "using MC access keys, there is no requirement for an internet DNS entry").

An Access key is a way for  J River to track a dynamic IP address. When you have set up your MC with an access key, your MC instance/s will regularly send information to the J River servers to let them know your current IP addresses (both internet and LAN)

When you start up nMedium, and you have set up your server with an Access key, nMedium will contact J River ("Getting addresses for access key...") and will get back your current IP addresses. Once it has these, it tries to connect to the IP's all at the same time ("Attempting connection to: ..."). The address that responds the fastest is set up as the IP address that nMedium will continue to use until it is shut down.

Access keys always resolve to an IP address - and using an access key makes the need to a dynamic IP address system like No-IP redundant (as a matter of fact, Access keys are better as they also track a LAN IP address).

Access keys are the recommended (but not required) method of using nMedium, as they can respond to changes in your server's IP address/es without having to change your server setup.
Using a IP:port / FQDN:port setup is only recommended if you have fully static internet and LAN IP addresses - as it does away with the step of going to J RIver to get your current IP addresses. This will speed up start-up, but after this, all operation is the same.

- Related : please check if Server N#1 does not respond we'll go to "General Settings" and be able to switch and connect with a Server N#2,

I'll actually add a button to the "Could not connect" screen, which will ask if you want to try another server. This will be in the version after next (2.3.1) - 2.3 is going for certification today

- It will be nice after adding a Server upon the "Settings" menu, NMedium Play wouldn't try to "Save changes" and "Connecting to Server" in an single operation (this is painful if the added Server is off-line, "Save" is made impossible).

I'll have a look at this - not quite sure what you mean but I'll go over the code...

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:57 pm »

nMedium Play version 2.2. has been released to the store.

Changes in this version:

- Library browsing speed has been increased
- Add some extra helper buttons/actions to track and image view screens
- Server setup / connection provides more details about the server you are connecting to
- In a multi-server setup, if connecting to a server fails, you will be asked to connect to another server

TCube

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 04:22:13 am »

Hello Grant,

Would You please check if the upgrade is available in Europe (France) . Did get an update this morning through WP8 store on Wifi : didn't work with new "server" screens.
So I tried "re install" through Laptop and WP8 connected on USB but it won't dl at all this time  - very strange but situation is similar with any other apps too has something to do with available memory I guess my WP .
Thus I had to try a "fresh" free NMedium install  : it looks very good with multiple servers !

TC

TCube

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 04:28:20 am »

.../... error can't delete. Sorry.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 04:48:01 pm »

With the latest Update nMedium is completely broken. It doesn't connect to my server. If I try to verify my user name and password (by hitting the small arrow in the password field) nMedium shows a message to send an eMail after encountering a problem but after yes the screen where I should select my eMail-Account freezes.

Re-Installing didn't help.

edit: I learned to wait. After a short time the eMail appears. After waiting some more time there appears an message which tells me "Server inaccessible" and that I have not configured any server to connect to.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »

edit: I learned to wait. After a short time the eMail appears. After waiting some more time there appears an message which tells me "Server inaccessible" and that I have not configured any server to connect to.

And yet you got past the address stage? hmmm...

Some ideas:

Are you sure your password is correct (tho nMedium should handle it if it's not)?
Maybe try to turn of authentication on the server for a test?
Can you maybe try to generate a new Access Key or go via an IP address?

A thought: when you enter your address and nMedium validates it, does it present the name of your server?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:05 pm »

Are you sure your password is correct (tho nMedium should handle it if it's not)?
I am :)

Maybe try to turn of authentication on the server for a test?
I did, nothing changes.

Can you maybe try to generate a new Access Key
I did, no changes.

go via an IP address?
I'm not absolutly sure if I did it right (where do I find the IP-Adress needed here?), but what I tried didn't work.

A thought: when you enter your address and nMedium validates it, does it present the name of your server?
No.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »

I just tried it again and it worked like nothing ever happened. I don't know what could have been changed since my last try because I didn't touch anything... Thanks for listening!

TCube

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 04:16:46 am »

Hello,

I'm being candid. Why is there a need to process video files ?
Context :
- I'm not using any vid readers from the Store I'm just being careful to have vid files compatible with the basic phone (WMP / but mostly MP4) and that from various software I use (Camtasia/Digital camera/Dl/ etc.)

I check this WE from outside Wifi both through JRiver versus my Home Server on my Nokia and it just doesn't make it with NMedium.

Thks.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »

Hello,

I'm being candid. Why is there a need to process video files ?
Context :
- I'm not using any vid readers from the Store I'm just being careful to have vid files compatible with the basic phone (WMP / but mostly MP4) and that from various software I use (Camtasia/Digital camera/Dl/ etc.)

I check this WE from outside Wifi both through JRiver versus my Home Server on my Nokia and it just doesn't make it with NMedium.

Thks.

I understand your pain...

Windows Phone only supports one video format which can be output by JRiver - and that is MP4 (currently).

There are 3 'qualities' of MP4 which JRiver can output (Low, Medium, High). When nMedium requests a video file (the quality is selectable in nMedium settings), JRiver will look in its video cache for a file which meets the requested quality, if it doesn't exist, JRiver will re-encode the requested file, put it in the cache and then serve it up.

Once a file has been encoded, it should not need to be re-encoded again (given the same requested quality) and playback will start quickly

You can find your video re-encoding cache by going (in JRiver) to: Tools > Options > File location > Conversion Cache > Video

You may have a look in the cache to see the profile of the re-encoded video, and see if you can match that in your base files? Thos I'm not sure if JRiver will not still want to re-encode the file.

I've been trying to get traction on this issue with JRiver for months (see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84308.0)

I am investigating other options, but there is a certain amount of disconnect between WP and JRiver on this one...

TCube

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:37 am »

Hello Grant,

Thks for your explanations !  

I won't be much support for you requesting better implementation of MP4 within JRiver specs. As I wrote, for vids,  I'll be connecting my WP8 through my home server.

Nonetheless JRiver have to seriously look HOW they are handling these MP4 vid files. I did make some "experiments" as you gave clues from where to go.

Seems to me as a brilliant mess ... a "Cathedral's Bazaar" ... a "chick wouldn't find her rubberduckies"   ... and some questions did pop-out.

- Why using a ISOM codec ? a compatible ? (MPEG-4 Part 12 compatible versus MP42 standard),
- Isom Codec isn't even readable by the most spread out free software  (I tried digging "viewing" within JRiver's cache),
- How will the user with two different smart phones (for instance a 520/1020) will choose to handle between Low/Medium/High definitions ? not knowing if the  right file is stacked ?
- Even so the above point it would mean stacking 3 times the same vid file : 1 original, 2 copies and as you said it's ridiculous regarding the process time taken from one CPU (re-encode is an hungry beast,  convert one all JRiver vid. library x2 times per file it's unthinkable),
- Even so if you did anyway for a few, how would the end user be able to choose the right file on Wifi or on Phone Network ? As you wrote NMedium+ provides for this, where you can set up the quality required directly from WP8, thus whether or Wifi or Phone Network the user will have to wait until JRiver accepts the request = basically the user configures the distant server and waits for the answer, easy does it with PhP but just nuts with JRiver MC)
- .../...

Well, JRiver was never my best option for Vid. and I'll stick by my opinion.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »

Henri,

The 'quality' is more about the size of the file being sent across the network, which may be especially important in metered (Telco) situations.

I just realised/remembered this morning that JRiver does support an option to send the file without re-encoding (that relies on a file being in a supported format - which it sound like you have).

I'll add that option into the next release

TCube

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:16 am »

Hello Grant,

I just realised/remembered this morning that JRiver does support an option to send the file without re-encoding (that relies on a file being in a supported format - which it sound like you have).
I'll add that option into the next release

Now you are talking.
If you release this, do U 've any idea how this may boost the Windows 8 Tablets dongle with JRiver MC for home use ?
Heh, why not for me... not really kidding here, this would mean "instant vid. replay" while over Wifi !!!
TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »

If you release this, do U 've any idea how this may boost the Windows 8 Tablets dongle with JRiver MC for home use ?
Heh, why not for me... not really kidding here, this would mean "instant vid. replay" while over Wifi !!!

Hi again,

I think something has gotten lost in translation - I'm not sure what your question means...

TCube

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 12:35:59 am »

Forget it  ;)

Sorry I was thinking about something else at the same time.

I received a new offer from an Internet provider to switch from FTTLA to FTTH with a 3 month at no charge and a 100 euros coupon purchase thus my post about Windows 8 tablets.
It was never in my intention to stream a 2h movie to a smart phone but now "instant streaming" from JRiver with a Tablet ... Do I get it all wrong or not ?  :P   anyway, I could get along with that.

Anyway "send the file without re-encoding" is cool and really opens up streaming WMV/MP4 short vids to WP8.
TC

EDIT : there is a simple way to find out about a supported Vid format by using Windows Phone on PC. If you want to stack some Vid on a SD Card for instance it will ask for the user to accept a re-encode process if ever the vid file isn't supported by the phone.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

nMedium Play version 2.2.1 has been released to the store

• Fixes for issues with selecting 'Replace playing now' from Search and Track listings
  • Initiating playback from search would fail if the search value contained special characters
  • Search values/results will be maintained if you go to tag a search result track
  • Added 'No conversion' option to playback settings

TCube

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 05:34:08 am »

Hello Grant,

Thks for your dedication and for Option N° 4  setting - with a reasonable Wifi Dl speed (33 Mbps home ATM) on Wp8 vid viewing is VERY enjoyable : start is instantaneous, forward / backward with no delay whatever the size of the file. Awesome !

TC

Edit : Set your DLNA on port 80 or 8080 so U won't suffer from U'r ISP limitation caps from diff. / restricted unusual "ports" use.

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »

Sure thing, I received an email from you and just replied :) I actually sent you 2 error reports, from 2 different phones (from my Nokia Lumia 920, and Nokia Lumia 1520) so I suppose they could both be from me.

Purchased yet another smartphone (what can I say, I love gadgets), got playing around with it for a while and forgot to post how your update fared. I'm happy to say that at this point, I have no problems with your app. Great work! :)

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

Hey Grant, I am still getting a lot of drop out as I am driving around. Wasn't sure if this might be a buffering issue or not.
Thanks,
Steve

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:04 pm »

I am still getting a lot of drop out as I am driving around.

nMedium only queues tracks to the Windows Phone Audio API. After being queued, the phone handles getting the tracks for playback. I (or any WP developer) have little control over the the way the phone downloads the tracks - but I will say that it does require a reasonably stable internet connection.

If you're looking for software that can download playback files in a batch to your phone, check out the "MC Partner" app; it's a little clunky (and I have not been able to have it connect to my server when I'm outside my LAN), but may be a solution for you...

TCube

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 02:22:27 am »

Hello,

Just a "ease of use" question. When I want SD Card reading only i have the choice between the standard WP player & Nokia Mix for music only when I'm "off line".
Would it be tricky/impossible to also use NMedium Play off-line just for SDCards ?
Thks
TC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up