INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously impressed with ASIO Line-in!  (Read 5622 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Seriously impressed with ASIO Line-in!
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:20:35 pm »

Just saying!

I've recently bought an Asus Xonar U7 USB soundcard which is the first device I've had that has an ASIO driver. I'm using it to output music in multi-channel surround, feeding it to my amp's multi-channel external decoder inputs, and I think MC does a better job of mixing surround out of 2-channels than my amp's Pro-Logic modes. I've also used Parametric Equaliser to copy L&R to the unsued rear surround channels in the 7.1 mix to send a stereo signal to a second room simultaneously - no need to link zones and have the usual synch issues.

I've tried the Open Live facility to feed external audio through MC's audio engine and it worked first time, sending the output to the card's SPDIF output, which doesn't use the ASIO driver. But I've also found Steinberg's ASIO Multi Client driver and I can now use this to bring external in AND output onto the surround outputs using the same driver, and it's worked wonders for my external audio. All technically impressive!

And a nice bonus is being able to save the Line-In mode from Playing Now as a library item and tag it as I wish so I can just select it as any normal track using JRemote without picking up a mouse and using MC front-end to switch to it.

Thank you!

dvogel1

• Recent member
Re: Seriously impressed with ASIO Line-in!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 07:37:17 am »

Interesting. Is it correct to assume that you are using ASIO4ALL as the Audio Device driver? Is it correct to assume that when you start Open Live you select ASIO Line-in?

csimon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:45:57 am »

Interesting. Is it correct to assume that you are using ASIO4ALL as the Audio Device driver?

No, the Asus device comes with an ASIO driver. If you want to use the same device for input AND output then the Steinberg Multi Client driver is needed, which acts as a sort of router for the driver. Then rather than specifying your output device in the Zone you want to play, and the input device in the Open Live dialog, you set both to be the Multi Client driver, having previously configured the driver on installation with your true ASIO driver.

I guess it might be possible to use ASIO4ALL instad of the Multi Client driver?  i.e. point ASIO4ALL to the input device, and output to the original ASIO driver, would that work??

Is it correct to assume that when you start Open Live you select ASIO Line-in?

Yes, and the dialog then asks you which device (ASIO driver) you want to use. But as mentioned, when you've done it once it gets listed in Playing Now as an item which you can then add to a playlist and incorporate it into views, so from then on you can select it as a track from Playlists or your normal views, wherever you've decided to put it, rather than selecting it from the pull-down menu again and OKing the dialog.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:01 am »

I guess it might be possible to use ASIO4ALL instad of the Multi Client driver?  i.e. point ASIO4ALL to the input device, and output to the original ASIO driver, would that work??

I'm not sure how well it would work to use ASIO4All to take inputs from a driver and output to the same driver (I've had mixed luck with that when I tried it).  The Steinberg multi-client driver looks like a better solution for native ASIO devices in that use case.

However, I have used ASIO4All and JRiver's ASIO line in the past to get sound from non-ASIO inputs (like my USB turntable) into MC.  For that use case, you point ASIO4All to the input device and then open ASIO4All as the ASIO line input, and use your normal output.  It works pretty well for that (although it's a little flaky, which has been my experience of ASIO4All in general).

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:03:31 am »

I have considered getting the DRC program Accourate but it requires a soundcard with both ASIO In and Out. I have the Asus Essence ST & H6 cards. The Asus Driver won't allow this nor will the Unified driver for the board. Would be great if the Steinberg driver would work. May try it later.

Thanks for telling us about this.

Cheers,
Rod

On Edit:  This should also help with REW. I now must use a separate soundcard for the Mic input. Would be great to have all on the same card.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:46 am »

I found the driver via this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77800.0 - it has more instructions and tells you how to get it.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:15:54 am »

I found the driver via this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77800.0 - it has more instructions and tells you how to get it.

Thanks very much - Guess I now know what I'll be messin' with this weekend!

Cheers,
Rod

connersw

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up