INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Set Top Box Support  (Read 2767 times)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Multiple Set Top Box Support
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

9. NEW: MC's TV supports multiple Set Top Boxes (STB).  Instructions

I started setting this up this weekend.  It appears that the port numbers are different on my REALLY old MCE IR blaster/ receiver.  The one I have is from an old HP, but when I configured the first box for port 1, I had to plug the ir blaster into the port labeled 2 on the back of the MCE in order for it to work.  I have not set up the second box yet, so I am not sure if the ports are switched or if there is some other problem.

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:02 am »

I started setting this up this weekend.  It appears that the port numbers are different on my REALLY old MCE IR blaster/ receiver.  The one I have is from an old HP, but when I configured the first box for port 1, I had to plug the ir blaster into the port labeled 2 on the back of the MCE in order for it to work.  I have not set up the second box yet, so I am not sure if the ports are switched or if there is some other problem.

Alex

When you set up, how many ports are listed in the drop-down list?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

When you set up, how many ports are listed in the drop-down list?

Two ports are listed - 1 and 2

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Multiple Set Top Box Support
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:16:33 pm »

Well, you will just have another port to try.  Maybe they are just switched around?

When I worked on this, I found Microsoft's documentation completely lacking details.  It does not say what values correspond to which ports.  I had to find the info by searching the internet.  The info I found was a bit of a surprise for me:

For a three-port system, the binary value 100 corresponds to port 1, 010 to 2, 001 to 3.  Opposite of what one would normally expect.

And it works for the MCE remote on my computer.  I have an HP MCE remote too, with two ports on the back of it.  Inside MC, however, three ports are listed, 1, 2, 3.  It works for me with both ports 1 and 2.  And of course I can not try 3.

Maybe in your case the driver switched the two ports around?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:39:32 pm »

That seems to be how it is working.  I will try to get my second STB set up next weekend and see if the second port works and report back.

Thanks,

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »

It appears that the labels on the back of my MCE are backwards.  It doesn't seem to be a problem, just something to try if you are having problems getting your IR blasters to work.  I have two STBs, the one that is configured to MCE port 1 in MC is using the port labeled 2 on the back of my old HP MCE and the MCE port 2 in MC is using the port labeled 1.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up