INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Renderer Not Recognised in Playing Now Window  (Read 4231 times)

keithsonic

• Recent member
DLNA Renderer Not Recognised in Playing Now Window
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:21:17 am »

I have had this problem for about a year and posted before on the topic. It seems I am not alone in finding that my renderer (Chord DSX1000) drops out of the Playing Now window and more recently this has been permanent. I have had a lot of help from various people at Chord and MinimServer and their suggestions eventually led me to a solution. I am running both wired Powerline adapters and a wireless Homegroup network and this seems to generate IP address conflicts e.g. the DSX's own IP address was different to that shown in Windows Media Player devices. It was only when I tried a rather odd suggestion to disable the IGMP setting in my router that everything came good. I can now use Gizmo again.
Now looking forward to wiring up an Oppo 103 for my wife at the weekend - with fingers crossed.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Renderer Not Recognised in Playing Now Window
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:53:15 am »

I am running both wired Powerline adapters and a wireless Homegroup network and this seems to generate IP address conflicts

Yes, IP address conflicts can certainly be a problem. Common causes of IP address conflicts are:

• More than one device being manually assigned the same static IP address
  • Devices getting dynamic IP addresses (via DHCP) when there are more than one DHCP server on the network

The multiple DHCP server problem can often inadvertently arise if you have more than one broadband router, wireless router, powerline router, etc. on your network. Typically all such box manufacturers now implement a DHCP server, and it is usually turned on by default...

It was only when I tried a rather odd suggestion to disable the IGMP setting in my router that everything came good.

That makes sense too. IGMP is a protocol used for managing routing of UDP multicast messages between different segments of a network. And the UPnP device discovery process (NOTIFY alive / NOTIFY bye-bye messages) is engineered using UDP multicast messages. So if IGMP is "messing" with the routing of multicast messages between segments of your network, this could certainly mess up UPnP too. As in the case above, the issue is particularly likely to happen if you have more than one broadband router, wireless router, powerline router, etc. on your network. Because each such box probably represents a different network segment, and so inter segment routing becomes an issue.

For "normal" people who have just one combined broadband plus wireless router, none of the above should be a problem. Because a) you have only one DHCP server, and b) you only have one network segment for multicasting.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »

I have JRiver on 2 PC's on my network and do have 2 routers. I can not get either JRiver to see the other PC as a DLNA device BUT each can see the library on the other PC.  Other DLNA devices are seen

Does this rule out the issue discussed above?

If not, how does on "disable the IGMP setting in my router"?  On which router does one disable?  Are there other consequences to disabling?

Thanks

ddennerline

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:26 pm »

There are two scenarios for duplicate IP addresses. One is printers and other devices that do not use DCHP (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/duplicate-ip-addresses-within-home-network/a82362e9-4ad3-47c2-9c11-9e6413ca76f4). In this case, you will want to create a static DHCP assignment.

The second possibility is that two routers are present on network with the same DHCP assignment range (i.e., 192.168.0.1/255).

For a home network, you will most likely want a single network address space (unless you have VPN or need a DMZ). If you have both a wired and wireless routers in your network, then change the wireless router to a bridge (http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode). I would not disable IGMP as your just hiding a duplicate IP address conflict.

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:41:28 pm »

I have an iPad app that scans the network and show ip addresses for all devices

Each of the pcs I am using has a different ipaddress.  No 2 devices have the same address ( but I don't know what would happen to the software if two did have the same address )

Does this rule our the problem of duplicate addresses or can something happen dynamically  or otherwise that creates an issue?

ddennerline

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:16:07 am »

Yes if the scanner showed the IP addresses of all known devices in your network. When doing an inventory scan, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable all firewalls.

The previous post indicated that you have two different routers. If this is the case, your scan would produce network hosts at two different subnets such as 192.16.1.X and 19.16.0.X (assuming /24 network). You would want to check all the network devices to see if DHCP options is available.  It’s possible a lease could expire and new IP address would collide with a statically configured address.

If you do in fact have two different subnets, it’s better to consolidate them into one network. IGMP bridging and routing can be tricky as every device has to understand how multi-cast packets must be routed back to origination point (http://www.ehow.com/info_8737569_happens-network-igmp-snooping-enabled.html). For a home network, one /255 network segment is sufficient.

If your ISP requires a specialized router (e.g., 2WIRE UVERSE Gateway), then network consolidation might present configuration challenges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up