INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old iPads and JRemote  (Read 3235 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Old iPads and JRemote
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:14:13 am »

Oh dear, was hoping to get full hi Rez playback in before you moved to ios7...I haven't been bombarding this thread as you'd said previously it was an easy add...  :(

I don't know if there are any fixes going to made to the current version now, but now it seems I will be leaving this forum as I won't be able to offer support to people for the new version, seeing as there is apparently overwhelming demand to drop iOS5.1 and there won't be anyone using that version anyway.  I'm not paying £400 for a bug-fixed version of JRemote.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
Old iPads and JRemote
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:01:09 pm »

I don't know if there are any fixes going to made to the current version now, but now it seems I will be leaving this forum as I won't be able to offer support to people for the new version, seeing as there is apparently overwhelming demand to drop iOS5.1 and there won't be anyone using that version anyway.  I'm not paying £400 for a bug-fixed version of JRemote.

I hear you.  I did cave in and bought an iPad air, however, I also have an ipad1 that I was going to dedicate to JRemote fro around the house...oh well.

csimon

Old iPads and JRemote
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:19:21 am »

The advantage of 1st gen iPads not receiving any more iOS updates is that they're very cheap second-hand so would have been ideal to pick up a few to run as remotes around the house (although still expensive for remotes!) and JRemote could have picked up loads more users if that point was made. Used iOS7 iPads are still a lot more expensive, never mind new ones, so I think my dream of multi-room installation has now been dashed! I can't see what new facilities of iOS7 there are that are so vital for the operation of JRemote.

pcstockton

Old iPads and JRemote
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:46:46 am »

why not get them now then never update?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

csimon

Old iPads and JRemote
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »

why not get them now then never update?

They don't update anyway.

The issue is that there are still bugs and usability issues in the current version. I've lived with the annoyances up to now and have repeated requests every so often for them to be fixed, therefore I guess it's my decision as to whether I can live with them forever and nopt have any further enhancements, or move over to Android, where new up-to-date tablets are as cheap as obsolete iPads, and support the development of Gizmo. But I still don't know whether the outstanding bugs are going to be fixed in the current version before the release of the new one.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
Re: Old iPads and JRemote
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:24:35 pm »

^^^^^

Exactly.  My personal opinion is it would have made more sense to fix bugs first, get the bugs to the bugs sorted out and only then move on to a new IOS 7 version. 

This would simplify whether bugs in the IOS 7 version are carry over (and we have to report them the second or third time....)  And would have provided a good clean final IOS 6- version.

Just my $.02

FastKayak / Larry

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »

Just curious what the most pressing bugs are?  Maybe you guys could list them here for LesPaul?

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »

They don't update anyway.

The issue is that there are still bugs and usability issues in the current version. I've lived with the annoyances up to now and have repeated requests every so often for them to be fixed, therefore I guess it's my decision as to whether I can live with them forever and nopt have any further enhancements, or move over to Android, where new up-to-date tablets are as cheap as obsolete iPads, and support the development of Gizmo. But I still don't know whether the outstanding bugs are going to be fixed in the current version before the release of the new one.

EXACTLY!
(And now we've been annexed into a separate thread, my hopes for even getting an answer now from LesPaul are sinking rapidly!  Anyone else feel like they've been sat on the "naughty chair" ?! )

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »

I don't see what is SO horrible about the current version.  There are a few minor bugs, but I seriously never run into them.

It is such an amazing app and I know you will use it as long as you can until you find something better (or get a modern iOS device).

-p

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:44 pm »

I'm interested in what bugs are still present as I run JRemote on many iOS devices that will not be upgraded as Apple stops rolling out upgrades. These include iTouch and iPads. In the next year I fully expect my iPad 2's to go the same way.

For my main "Remote Control" I have finally had to upgrade from a iPad1 to a iPad Mini, however that was not due to JRemote, that was due to the additional functionality in RoomieRemote that was only available on later versions.

From my perspective, when compared to custom remote of the past, an iPad is actually still cheap compared to those $1000 proprietary ones.
OK, not as cheap as the Android tablets, yet I have been unable to get the same functionality on a Nexus 7 compared to apps available for iOS

csimon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:45 am »

Just curious what the most pressing bugs are?  Maybe you guys could list them here for LesPaul?

-patrick

Already done, several times!  Panic mode set in in January and I brought together a list of bugs that I had reported before that I was finding most pressing, some dating back to 2012:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79104.650

Also a request a few posts further down to make volume control slider larger as it's not practical to use with movies atm and at best difficult to use with 3-minute audio tracks.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

As I suspected - annexed to a dead thread!  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up