INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Audio From Internet  (Read 3957 times)

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
Recording Audio From Internet
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »

Does anyone know if this feature is under consideration.  I don't see any mention of it in MC19 new features and this would be very useful.

Is there a legal issue here and that's why MC doesn't have this feature?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Recording Audio From Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »

Does anyone know if this feature is under consideration.  I don't see any mention of it in MC19 new features and this would be very useful.

Is there a legal issue here and that's why MC doesn't have this feature?

MC used to have a record function that would record sound coming in through ASIO, but it was disabled sometime in version 18 I think.  My recollection is that some of the software changes needed to make JRiver work cross-platform broke the record function.  A few months before Matt's accident (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86462.0), he said it was likely to be gone for a while.  So I wouldn't expect it back in JR19.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:00 pm »

Like the Record Stream task in Services & Plug-ins > Scheduler?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:57:16 pm »

Like the Record Stream task in Services & Plug-ins > Scheduler?

Isn't that limited in the categories of internet audio it will pull?  I haven't used it in a little bit, but I thought it wouldn't (for example) record sound from spotify or similar services.  If it does work for those kinds of services, that's exciting news.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »

Yup (limited), I wasn't sure what the OP was asking.  I think you had the better handle on this.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

Yup (limited), I wasn't sure what the OP was asking.  I think you had the better handle on this.

Got it.  I'm glad you brought up the record stream because I had forgotten it existed (I don't listen to much internet radio). That might be what OP is looking for.  

I mainly mentioned the old record functionality because I miss it.  If it ever returns and can be paired with the new loopback/ASIO features in MC it would potentially allow for universal recording of all system audio in MC, which would be sweet (I'd love to be able to use MC instead of audacity to record voice chats or record rips, for example).

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »

I've made a Diskwriter zone (using diskwriter as a device). You can link it to a "listening" zone such as headphones. Note that if you link while recording, there will be a gap in the recording. It's not as practical, but it works very well

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »

I supposed I should be more specific. If your Diskwriter zone is created, you can listen to internet music on any other zone and instead of clicking a "record" button, you simply link the zone you are listening from to the Diskwriter zone. The recording will continue until one goes to that zone and presses the stop button (preferably after unlinking the zones).

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:30:53 pm »

Thanks for all the responses.  

I pretty much a newbie with this issue.  I've been trying to obtain some digital copies of some songs that are no longer available from Grooveshark.  This has involved recording to Minidisc and converting to CD and then ripping to MC.  I was hoping that there was some way to do this directly from MC.

The Diskwriter Zone concept is entirely new to me so I'd need some place where I could get an overview of what I'd need to do.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »

Diskwriter is an audio device you can choose when you create a zone, like choosing ASIO or Direct Sound. You can create such a zone and call it "Recorder" if you want. In the device settings for the zone, you choose the path of where the recording is stored. The problem is, when you choose this zone, there is no audio output to listen to, it does it all "silently". Therefore, let's say you are listening to internet radio using your "Laptop" zone; you would right-clock that zone while listening, choose "Link", and choose the "Recorder" zone. When you do this, the audio stream goes to both zones at the same time and you can therefore listen to what you are recording. To stop the recording, first unlink the zones (by right clicking again) go to the "Recorder" zone and press the stop button. The recording will be as a .wav in the path specified in the device settings.

Hope that helps!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »

If you want to do it from within MC, then refer to the stuff above.  However, if you're not married to that idea, I can make a couple recommendations:

Windows: http://www.totalrecorder.com/index.htm
OSX: https://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will investigate them.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »

If you want to do it from within MC, then refer to the stuff above.  However, if you're not married to that idea, I can make a couple recommendations:

Windows: http://www.totalrecorder.com/index.htm

Not as slickly packaged as glynor's suggestion but a capable freeware offering is this piece of kit:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up