INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What "topology" to use for a client, server and controller?  (Read 2080 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
What "topology" to use for a client, server and controller?
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:36:13 am »

Imagine that there is one MC server machine (S1), one MC client (C1), and also a third machine running MC as a controller only (L1), i.e. it will do no serving or rendering of its own.

So presumably S1 should be set up as a library server, and C1 should be set up as a client which connects to S1.

But what should L1 be set up as and, if a library client, what machine should it load the library from?  It will mainly need to control C1, but should C1 therefore be set up as a library server as well as S1?

If I then want to send music to S1, does the same connection strategy work or does S1 need to be a library client too, and of which machine?  Does L1 need to swap its library between C1 and S1?  Would it be better using the clients as DLNA renderers rather than MC clients?

csimon

Re: What "topology" to use for a client, server and controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:08 am »

<bump>

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:15 am »

^

I am answering this from memory as I don't have MC open in front of me at the moment...

I think basically the MC remote library server function and the MC remote renderer (player) function are to all intents and purposes identical to the equivalent UPnP / DLNA functions. And also as I recall it, MC has three network settings check boxes: i) share the MC library on this PC with others, ii) allow others to control MC on this PC, and iii) enable MC on this PC to control others (or words to that effect). So you just check whichever combination of those boxes you want to apply to each PC...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

csimon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:26:41 am »

Theoretically then, I should set:

1. S1 to share its library
2. S1 to be controlled by others
3. C1 as a client of S1 to get the library
4. C1 to be controlled by others
5. L1 as a client of S1 to get the library
6. L1 to act as controller

Now then, what server do I connect the controller (or even JRemote in lieu of L1) to?  Logically, it should be S1 to get the library, but I remember discussion that you have to connect to the machine that you want to control. So does C1 need to be set up as a library server too?

csimon

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »

There are no remote control options as far as I can see, only the DLNA roles.  Enabling Media Network automatically shares the library, i.e. turns it into a library server. Does Media Network have to be enabled for a client to be remotely controlled? I guess it does, in which case the client becomes a server too and shares its library too over the network.  This is what's confusing me, there is a proliferation of clients and servers and I can't get my head around what I'm supposed to be enabling or connecting to.

Can someone map out the precise steps needed to have S1 as library server and renderer, C1 as library client and renderer, and L1 as controller?  Is it:

1. Enable Media Network on S1, turning it into a library server.
2. Enable Media Network on C1, turning it into a second library server.
3. Connnect C1 to S1's library.
4. Enable Media Network on L1, turning it into a third library server.
5. Connect L1 to C1's library.

Or is it:

1. Enable Media Network on S1, turning it into a library server.
2. Enable Media Network on C1, turning it into a second library server.
3. Enable Media Network on L1, turning it into a third library server.
4. Connect L1 to S1's library.

I would need to be able to see all S1's and C1's zones on L1 so that I can select and send music to any of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up