INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping together related tracks when shuffling  (Read 1545 times)

tom9920

• Recent member
Keeping together related tracks when shuffling
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:36:50 am »

I have found earlier posts on this issue but no solution.  So starting a new thread to see if there is now an answer.

There are musical works that may be presented on CD as multiple tracks that are intended to listened to as a whole.  The easiest example is multi-movement classical works.  But this is also true for live Grateful Dead performances where the end of one song and the beginning of the next is somewhat arbitrary and shown as such on the track listing with an open bracket "[" and closing bracket "]" on the included group of tracks.

There are times when I don't want to pick specific pieces but want to listen to music at random (i.e., shuffle).  But I don't want to hear excerpts (i.e., a single track) from multi-movement works-it leaves me hanging when the work breaks off suddenly.

One possible solution would be to create a playlist of playlists, but have a setting that enables the shuffle property of the child playlists to be set independently of the shuffle property of the parent playlist.  So if all multi-movement works were added each through its own (child) playlist with shuffle "off" and single tracks were all in another (child) playlist with shuffle "on", and a "shuffle off" child playlist played completely in sequence before calling the next track in a playlist, this would achieve the desired result.

Or better yet, maybe there is a solution that currently works :-)

Tom

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Keeping together related tracks when shuffling
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »

There isn't really a good solution for this.  Each file is independent, and the randomization works on a file-by-file basis.

If you want tracks linked, you'll need to combine them into a single track.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up