INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export a playlist as an album?  (Read 1924 times)

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
Export a playlist as an album?
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »

There is a process I go through fairly often and currently I do this manually and I am wondering if there is any wizardry within MC that might help me streamline this process.

I like to assemble a playlist and then turn it into an album- this involves creating a copy of each file and changing the album tag to match the name of the playlist and set the track number for each track so this new "album" plays in order as set in the playlist.

Ideally if I could get MC to create the copy of the files, adjust the tags and track numbering automatically (perhaps involving the use of a virtual handheld device?) I would be a happy camper.

Any thoughts as to how this might be done?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Export a playlist as an album?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:28 pm »

You'll have to do this in four steps using a folder-based HH sync (or Convert)

1. Add a sequence index for the tracks into an MC field of your choice
2. Perform an HH sync to a destination folder (be sure to allow MC to add the files to its Library)
2. Filter and select those converted files within a view and Rename them based on the properties of your choosing
4. Use Fill Properties from Filename to pull values from the file names.

For (1), you can add a sequence to a field by select those tracks, editing a field, and entering:

=counter()

For (2), you need the files to be in the Library so that you can filter/select them all for Rename, Move & Copy.  You'll want to set up your folder-based HH configuration such that the Files, Paths, & More > Audio Path places the files in a unique folder for easy filtering.

For (3), use the field you selected for the sequence number as part of your rename rule.  You'll also want to add a playlist name (MC doesn't make playlists available by names in the expression language).  Hint: you could simultaneously add the sequence number and a playlist name in your field edit in (1), and let your Rename rule split them apart (you can save this rule as a preset for future use).  Example, assuming you used the field named Sequence-Playlist:

=counter; MySuperPlaylistBaseAlbum

and in the Rename rule, use these expressions as part of your rename:

listitem([Sequence-Playlist], 0)       <-- this is the virtual album's track #s
   listitem([Sequence-Playlist], 1)       <-- this is the virtual album's name

For (4), you'll want to ensure in (3) you named files such that you can grab any tags you want changed (e.g. [Track #], [Disc #], [Album], ...)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »

Now, that said...

An alternative for steps 2-4, which automates this more.  Create auto-import rules that monitor your conversion folder and pull tags from the [Sequence-Playlist] tag.  These can also rename files by setting the Filename field.  So the steps become:

1. Add a sequence index for the tracks into an MC field of your choice; add any additional tag values here needed for later (see above)
2. Perform that HH sync, but don't include in the library

Auto-import and your Auto-import rules will take care of the rest.

jaxtherogue

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »

ok thanks! I will see what I can do with your suggestions.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:58 pm »

@jaxtherogue

In case you are still listening, I wrote a pscriptor scriplet this weekend that allows you to copy a selection of files and create its accompanying playlist, and allows flexible file renaming / sequencing.  Here's the current pre-release we're testing:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85990.msg611361#msg611361

The description there, and in subsequent threads provides additional info.  In your case, you'd select the files you wanted copied, perhaps from one or more playlists, and use the tool to do the copy, naming the sub-folders and files in the manner you want.  If you have these files go into an MC auto-import directory, you could use Tag on Import rules to pull the tags from the filename or folder paths of the copied files.  So operation becomes little more than selecting the files, and running the external tool with the options you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up