INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast Throttling  (Read 3738 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Podcast Throttling
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, does anyone else have issues with large podcasts, killing their network's internet access? I have tried multiple QOS settings on our router but when my Podcast queue starts a download it kills all our employees internet access. Anyone have any ideas? Does Media Center have any throttling options for downloads? I tried digging thru the help/wiki's but didn't see any. I have it limited to 1 download at a time. Thanks.
Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Podcast Throttling
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »

This happens to me all the time. An option to throttle the downloads would be greatly appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:48:39 pm »

Umm... Get a better router or modem?

Not saying anything about getting or not getting the feature, which might be useful for some users with more metered network connections.  But...

If your network dies from a client trying to download a podcast, via any mechanism, your crap is broken.

Probably the router.  But there are good ones for not much money.  It also could be your modem, especially if it is a junker from the cable company or telco.  And, if it is one of those POS all in one jobs, well... That's why.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:08 pm »

Apparently I missed the part where it was taking down the entire network. That sounds really bad, and not the fault of Media Center.

Whatever method Media Center uses to download files does seem to really hog the bandwidth going to my PC though.
I have a 15mb connection and MC seems to take priority over just about anything else when it's downloading podcasts (which should be a low priority item) meaning that I have difficulty streaming video at the same time MC starts a download for example.
If I'm downloading from the same site in a web browser rather than via Media Center, I don't seem to have that issue.
The option to pause and/or throttle downloads would be nice when this happens - especially as cancelling a download typically results in MC trying to download it again 30 seconds later.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:14:13 am »

Doubt it's the router, have a Asus RT-AC66R. The modem is a comcast commercial modem open in bridge mode. I can pump data thru tons of other apps, stream 4-5 hd vids on multiple systems without a hitch.  Start downloading a single podcast and everyone's internet speed comes to a screeching halt. Local traffic on the network seems fine during the bog down. Access to our server remains speedy.  I have a  completely different setup at home and will try setting up a podcast there to download and do some more tests. It could be Comcast doing some funky packet sniffing of the podcasts maybe. They are all from the same location at twit.tv I will try some other sources and report back. Would still be nice for a throttle though I would think for some users with bandwidth limits.
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:20 am »

Sounds like Leo must have said something grumpy about Comcast.

connersw

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:09:17 am »

Is this your router?  http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/16/nsa-bugged-cisco-routers/

They are all from the same location at twit.tv

Or maybe Net Neutrality has been a myth for a few years now...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:14:07 am »

Doubt it's the router, have a Asus RT-AC66R.

You mean this one?  Just saying.  ;)

Sounds like Leo must have said something grumpy about Comcast.

Regularly.

Start downloading a single podcast and everyone's internet speed comes to a screeching halt. Local traffic on the network seems fine during the bog down. Access to our server remains speedy.

That means 6233638 interpreted your comment that it "kills their network's internet access" comment correctly, rather than what I interpreted it as, though.  It could have gone either way.  I thought you meant it brought the modem or router actually down (requiring a reboot of one or both to fix), not just "everyone's access becomes slow", which is probably a different thing.

QOS, properly configured, will solve that.  Effectively, bandwidth limiting on MC's end is a QOS feature.

However, again, I don't think having some sort of option to "download podcasts slowly" would be a bad thing.  But, for the record, that is very likely a problem with the router itself, though. I'm not sure exactly how MC does the downloads, but I bet it isn't anything special.  It probably just opens up a few HTTP requests for the files (however many it does simultaneously) any then comes what may.  The fact that it bogs down the entire network, but not internally, indicates that the problem is on the WAN side of the router (becoming overwhelmed with the traffic and then failing to respond to subsequent WAN requests).

I still maintain that, especially in a corporate environment (even a small one), if one computer on your network can "bring down" (either crashing entirely, or slowing to a crawl) your entire WAN access, then your network is misconfigured or inadequately designed.  At a company, that's the network's fault.

At home... Well, if it happens to other people, then an option to be more gentle would probably be good.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

You mean this one?  Just saying.  ;)

yea, that's the one I got too. Thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:04:32 pm »

QOS, properly configured, will solve that.  Effectively, bandwidth limiting on MC's end is a QOS feature.
QOS on a consumer router is usually... not great. But it should help prevent a system running MC from hogging all the bandwidth in a multi-user situation.

I still maintain that, especially in a corporate environment (even a small one), if one computer on your network can "bring down" (either crashing entirely, or slowing to a crawl) your entire WAN access, then your network is misconfigured or inadequately designed.  At a company, that's the network's fault.
Agreed.

Is this your router?
It should be assumed that any router sold in the US is backdoored.

Of course there's every possibility that any open-source projects have also been infiltrated, but if you can use dd-wrt or better yet, build a pfSense box, you should be a lot better off.
Interestingly, there are a handful of routers now which advertise full dd-wrt support as a selling point.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

As a follow up and conclusion on this thread, I narrowed it down to a weird perfect storm of issues with an install of Carbonite on our server, that for some reason or another it was going nuts trying to update it's database. When combined with the process of downloading a podcast, it was freaking out something within the QOS services on the 2 routers I had a chance to test with. The Asus RT-AC66R and a Dlink 655. Both had similar issues with seemingly different parts of each units QOS engine. Once I disabled & uninstalled Carbonite (required using a tool Carbonite sent me to fully reset part of their service on our server), I was able to reinstall Carbonite and everything once again worked fine and the trigger of downloading a podcast no longer brings the network traffic to a halt. It was really weird a hodgepodge of vectors to make up this issue. Anywho, thanks for the ideas and sorry for the delay in a conclusion to this, been swamped.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up