INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Library doesn't preserve smartlist operators correctly  (Read 3612 times)

pahunt

• World Citizen

Hi,

I use the Sync Library feature to put media files and playlists on to my work laptop (we have a strict firewall in the office that means I can't use a library server), however I've recently noticed a minor but annoying bug that I'm hoping can be fixed.

If I set up a smartlist in my master library that has a criteria such as : Playlist | is not any | [playlist name] then when it appears in the library on laptop the criteria is Playlist | is any | [playlist name]. Obviously this renders the smartlist fairly useless.

I realise that this is probably treated as a niche feature and not one that gets a lot of attention but if this could be fixed, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync Library doesn't preserve smartlist operators correctly
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:23:24 am »

On a related note, I've noticed that if I edit or make a "Playlists is any" rule while a library client is connected, the rule is lost on the next sync and I am left with a rule that adds all files (i.e., Playlists is any blank).

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:11:41 am »

Sorry to bump this one but even a "we're not going to fix this" would be OK, so I can learn to live with it :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:22:28 am »

On a related note, I've noticed that if I edit or make a "Playlists is any" rule while a library client is connected, the rule is lost on the next sync and I am left with a rule that adds all files (i.e., Playlists is any blank).

Yes, I've seen this repeatedly myself too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:43 am »

Sorry to bump this one but even a "we're not going to fix this" would be OK, so I can learn to live with it :)

Don't be sorry to bump it.  It is fine to do that if you don't get any answer.  People probably just missed it because of poor timing or whatever.  Sometimes it means you didn't provide enough detail for anyone to provide a useful answer, but that isn't the case here.

I can't fix the issue, but...

(we have a strict firewall in the office that means I can't use a library server)

You could run the Library Server at home on Port 80, assuming you don't also run a real web server at home on port 80.  Then the corporate firewall couldn't block it unless they also block all external websites (perhaps with a whitelist or something).  Port 80 is the normal web server port, and MC's Library Server is a web server, so the traffic is just HTTP like a regular website.

Of course, that doesn't help you if they'd also have a policy against using something like this (in which case you could get in trouble).  But, assuming it is just a technical issue and they have in and outbound non-standard ports blocked, you can just switch MC's Library Server at home to use the standard HTTP port and then MC would work.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:05:07 am »

You could run the Library Server at home on Port 80, assuming you don't also run a real web server at home on port 80.  Then the corporate firewall couldn't block it unless they also block all external websites (perhaps with a whitelist or something).  Port 80 is the normal web server port, and MC's Library Server is a web server, so the traffic is just HTTP like a regular website.

Of course, that doesn't help you if they'd also have a policy against using something like this (in which case you could get in trouble).  But, assuming it is just a technical issue and they have in and outbound non-standard ports blocked, you can just switch MC's Library Server at home to use the standard HTTP port and then MC would work.

Unfortunately the bandwidth at the office is pretty stretched already and while I could work around it by using port 80 I wouldn't feel right about doing it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 05:51:46 pm »

Unfortunately the bandwidth at the office is pretty stretched already and while I could work around it by using port 80 I wouldn't feel right about doing it.

That's understandable.  And, the bug you reported seems pretty silly and should probably be fixed.

However... Just so you know...

MC's Library Server system is actually pretty lightweight on network usage, so long as you aren't using it to stream the actual content from your server.  You might not be aware of this, but by default, MC Clients will try to use local copies of content before it asks the server to stream them.  So, if:

1. Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found is enabled on the client copy of MC (as it is by default).

2. The client has local copies of the media files and they are accessible via the exact same drive letter and path (or UNC path) on the Client as they are on the Server.

Then all MC's Server will transfer to the Client when you connect is the compressed Library itself, and then periodic deltas to sync changes back to the Server.

So, one of the ways I use this is with my backup system.  I have an external drive (two actually, and each one is one of those two-disk RAID-in-a-Box USB things) that is large enough to hold copies of my primary Media Library.  I keep one of these two USB drives connected to my main Server at home, and the other one at work, and I have SyncBack SE set to automatically sync most of my Media Library (the stuff I care about, pruned so that it'll fit and cover most of the stuff I'd use) over to the external volume that is at home periodically.

Then, every so often, I swap the two (when I think of it, and actually, I'm due for a swap soon).  I bring the work one home, and plug it in, and bring the home one back to work the next day.

This serves two purposes: I have an offsite backup (key if my house burns down or the washing machine hose breaks and floods my house, or whatever) and I get local access to most of my media without having to stream it all to work.  When I travel, I can easily grab this disk and bring it along and I have all my stuff (even high-quality video) on the road and it can be used with my laptop.

As long as I mount this drive on my computer at work (or on my laptop) using the same drive letter that I use at home, It Just Works, because all the file paths match, and then MC (even in Client mode) uses the local files.  The best thing is that this still lets me access the newest stuff and my "current home Library" from work (since the Library Server will happily stream anything the Client doesn't find and then asks for), and it keeps all my Play Stats in sync nicely.

Works quite well, and I wasn't sure if you were aware that this was possible.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:45:17 am »

However... Just so you know...

Now that you mention it, I was kind of aware of that possibility but I hadn't thought of using it in this context. So I will give it a go and see what I can do, although I'll need to do some re-organisation because my library currently uses UNC paths exclusively. Thanks very much for taking the time to write that up.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:00:08 am »

Next build:
Fixed: Syncing the library could result in a playlist smartlist being reversed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 10:07:15 am »

Next build:

Brilliant, thanks for that Matt and good to see you back too :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:53:10 am »

Next build:

Yes!  This makes me happy in a bunch of ways.

Pages: [1]   Go Up