INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I have to make a choice or is there a way..... [solved]  (Read 1978 times)

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Do I have to make a choice or is there a way..... [solved]
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »

not to?

With files/tracks that have multiple artists, it seems I have one of two choices.

To see all the artists in the Standard View, I created a library view which shows all artists who appear in my collection, even if they are only the secondary artist on one track.  Simple enough using the semi-colon between each artist in the file tag.

However, when using the Theater View slideshow, only photo's of the lead artist will appear.  If I go and change the file tag using the "&" or the word "featuring", I get photos of each artist as well as photos of artists together.  But, using this method, I can't use my "All Artists" library view.

As an example the album "Trio" by Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris.  If I want to just play Emmylou Harris songs, the files/tracks will come up in my view by using the semi-colon in the tag (Dolly Parton; Linda Ronstadt; Emmylou Harris) if I go to where "Emmylou Harris" is in the view, along with all other songs she appears on.    However if I go to Theater View and watch the slideshow while playing Trio songs, the only photos I get are of Dolly Parton because she is the first person listed on the artist tag.

If I go back and change the tag using "&" (Dolly Parton & Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris), I get all three artists while the song is playing,  In theater view, that's what I want.  However I will lose the individual artists in my Library View list when I go back to Standard View.

Is there a way to tag the "Artists" field where Media Center recognizes each artist for both the listing in my Library View and the slideshow in Theater View?  It seems what's good for the goose should be good for the gander in this manner.  

Sorry if long-winded.  Any help appreciated.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Do I have to make a choice or is there a way.....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »

For tracks / albums where you want duos, trios, etc., use & and then in views where you want the individual artists listed, use expressions to replace the & with ; in the view (and set the expression type to list).  Example:

replace([Artist], &, ;)&datatype=[list]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »

Where do I put this expression??  And how do I get there?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:12 pm »

Where do I put this expression??  And how do I get there?

Type it into the artist field when you in-place edit.  Or type it into the Tag Action Window.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:43:28 pm »

Got it.  Thanks very much!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »

Got it.  Thanks very much!!

Glad.  And because it's not noted earlier, you need to start with an equal sign when you enter an expression.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 04:37:52 pm »

I was actually thinking Dawgincontrol would work the other way around.  The Artist would be:

Dolly Parton & Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris

and instead of using Album Artist (auto) or Artist is a view, the expression would be used, which would result in:

Dolly Parton; Linda Ronstadt; Emmylou Harris

so that the album would be listed under all three artists.

Whatever works...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
Re: Do I have to make a choice or is there a way..... [solved]
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:04 pm »

That's how I ended up doing it Mr.C. only I used a new view I had created for all artists, then used the expression there.  

Now it works in both the standard view and in the slideshow on Theater view.  Appreciate it guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up