INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagged too many files  (Read 1515 times)

ressie

Tagged too many files
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:42 am »

I was labeling a new file down in the bottom left hand corner when a message came up saying I was about to retag lots of files.   I said no.   But when I tried to continue it came up again.  This time I must have pressed yes.   It then told me it was going to retag thousands of files.   I stopped it but not soon enough.   Everything was tagged with the same name.   Then I discovered files with with a multitude of tracks in them.   Not related to each other.   After much fiddling I decided to delete them all and start again.      Current status is that many files still carry the wrong name and many are a mixture of unrelated tracks.    I'm on MC 19.   What have I done wrong?   Should I just delete the program and reload it.   But then, what about registration?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver meltdown
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:17 am »

You most likely accidentally had multiple files selected (perhaps because you selected an entire grouping of files, or unselected everything) when you made the change in the tag window.

Uninstalling MC itself won't help.

What you want to do is restore your Library from a backup.  MC automatically makes backups for you and saves them (by default) to your My Documents folder.  You can use the Library Manager to restore the most recent backup from before the calamity and you should be all set.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hilton

Re: JRiver meltdown
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 06:52:13 am »

If you've already shutdown MC19 you cant undo the actions but you could try restoring a library backup. Reinstalling wont achieve anything.

Click File>Library>Restore Library>click on down arrow on the dropbox to show your latest backups and pick one from a day or so ago.

Restore the library.

It should show all the files with the tags you had before you updated the library.

ressie

Re: Tagged too many files
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:31 am »

Thank you for that advice.   I still have some misnamed files but things are much improved.    Your help is very appreciated.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:20 am »

In addition to the above advice...

this...
After much fiddling I decided to delete them all and start again.      Current status is that many files still carry the wrong name and many are a mixture of unrelated tracks.    I'm on MC 19.   What have I done wrong?   Should I just delete the program and reload it.

suggests to me that the embedded tags have been updated with the erroneous data. To correct this, once you have restored your backup, and are happy that the library looks to be OK, you would look to select all tracks the "right click > Library Tools > Update tags from library" which should correct any errors in the file tags.

It will only update files that actually need it, but could still take some time.

Also,
Your registration is stored in the system registry and will be picked up by the program if you remove and reinstall it. In this case though, I don't believe that is necessary. Follow the advice offered above and you should be OK.

-marko

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:40 pm »

In future, you can simply use Edit → Undo if you make a mistake like this.

If you've already shutdown MC19 you cant undo the actions but you could try restoring a library backup.
It would be nice if Media Center had a persistent history of maybe the last 100 actions (or more) rather than discarding them when closing the application.

I'm so used to it in most other applications that I use these days, that it's very annoying when this happens - especially when certain changes, such as creating views for Gizmo, require that you restart MC for your changes to apply.

ressie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »

Thank you for all the responses.   Things have basically returned to normal and I've learnt a lot in the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up