INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip CD from Client to Server  (Read 4325 times)

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Rip CD from Client to Server
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:16:51 pm »

I have a MC-Media Server as main library and want like to ripp CD´s from the Client into this library - is this somehow possible - I faild now for several hours - maybe I´m not reading very well English.
Any help is warmly welcome
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

Castius

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripp CD from Client to Server
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:48:17 am »

You can rip with jriver. But it's up to you to get it to the server.
I keep my subsonic server running. So I can upload to my server. It takes a zip and uncompress to a location.
Is not get but it works.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:13:51 am »

I have a MC-Media Server as main library and want like to ripp CD´s from the Client into this library - is this somehow possible - I faild now for several hours

It is currently not possible. There are three work-arounds:

1. Detach the client from the server and make it standalone (i.e. load its local library).  Rip the CD into the local library (consider the local library as temporary, or "scratch"). Move the ripped files to the server or a central location if they haven't gone there automatically (use File Rename/Move/Copy - although since the local library is scratch then this isn't really necessary and you could use Windows Explorer to move the files).  Reload the server's library on the client. If auto import is running on the server, wait for it to complete and import the new files. If auto import isn't running, log onto the server and run an import manually. Tag the files on the server, or wait for them to appear on the client and tag them on the client.

2. Rip the CD in an external program outside MC. Move the ripped files to the server or a central location if they haven't gone there automatically.  If auto import is running on the server, wait for it to complete and import the new files. If auto import isn't running, log onto the server and run an import manually. Tag the files on the server, or wait for them to appear on the client and tag them on the client.

3. Forget about using client/server and make your two instances of MC standalone with independent libraries. In 1 above, you are going to have to rip your CD into a local library and then import them on the server anyway, so if you didn't have to detach and re-attach the client each time you want to rip a CD then it makes the process more straightforward. Of course, you won't have synched changes between between client and server - you would have to make changes on one and then run an import on the other (or update library from tags).

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:01:11 am »

Dear all many thanks for your good ideas.
I made now the following:

Moving all files to the Server
Creating a new local library
Coping the library from local Computer to the Server
Opening this library locally and ripping a CD into it
Starting Mediacenter on the Server with this library.

When the library is used by the Server it’s just open in read only. To see the changes now it would be good to reload the library automatically. Is this possible?

Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

csimon

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:22:41 am »

<bump>
Request to allow ripping of CDs on a client.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:29:41 am »

<bump>

csimon

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:06 am »

<bump>

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:36:33 pm »

<bump>
Request to allow ripping of CDs on a client.

+1

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »

1. Detach the client from the server and make it standalone (i.e. load its local library).  Rip the CD into the local library (consider the local library as temporary, or "scratch"). Move the ripped files to the server or a central location if they haven't gone there automatically (use File Rename/Move/Copy - although since the local library is scratch then this isn't really necessary and you could use Windows Explorer to move the files).  Reload the server's library on the client. If auto import is running on the server, wait for it to complete and import the new files. If auto import isn't running, log onto the server and run an import manually. Tag the files on the server, or wait for them to appear on the client and tag them on the client.

Personally I prefer a modified version of your first work around.
a. On the client, open the local library.
b. RIP the CDs you want to RIP into that library.
c. Tag and collect Cover Art on the client.
d. When all is done and I'm happy, copy the whole directory the CD was ripped into to the server.
e. Auto-import imports the new album all in one go, so no progressive import as files are ripped. Tags and Cover Art which are stored in the ripped files are picked up by the server library. Cover Art in the directory is also found.
f. When I am happy with it all, delete the music from the client library, and reload the server library.

I like to get the tags and so forth correct on the client before I add them to the server, and this way I don't have to correct anything on the server, it just picks up the new media and makes it available. As I do this on my workstation PC with a 30" screen, this sort of work is far easier to do, rather than on the 1080p TV screen.

Of course I could just remote into the server and share the optical drive on my workstation PC with it, but I don't like to be ripping files over the network. Plus I don't want to lock people out of using the server HTPC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dogs......because people suck
Re: Rip CD from Client to Server
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 02:42:32 pm »

RoderickGI - I've used a similar method for the past six years now.

At the risk of resurrecting this horse and beating it yet again, has there been any movement towards ripping discs from clients?  While I do have a workaround that has served me well since  I read this post nearly six years ago; my hope is something new has changed?  I recall reading related posts offering commentary why it was not implemented but cannot recall details.  Each week I acquire discs to my collection and ripping them would be a lot more straight forward and intuitive if it could be done within the JRiver environment
Pages: [1]   Go Up