INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Scheme Question - album thumbnail stacks by composer  (Read 3185 times)

mirdle

• World Citizen
View Scheme Question - album thumbnail stacks by composer
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:02:22 am »

I am trying to create an audio view scheme that shows album thumbnail stacks by composer, and then when an individual composer is clicked on, separated album thumbnails for that composer.

Also, I would like to exclude those composers who have fewer than 5 albums in the library.

Thanks for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: View Scheme Question - album thumbnail stacks by composer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:26:39 am »

The wiki topic might be a starting point:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Classical_Music

Listener has written about this, so try a search here. 

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:33 am »

Thanks for the references, but those all seem to point to pane views only.  I'm more interested in a graphical display.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:18 am »

I've got to run out right now but the first part is pretty easy. Just set up a new view. In wizard, Choose the Categories to show and add Composer then Album. If this is for just one type of music eg Classical. Set up a rule for it using genre or whatever you use (I use Grouping in the example) below

As for the exclusion to only show composers with more than 5 albums, need to use an expression. Thats more complicated. I'll give it a thought, or maybe someone else will chime in.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »

Thanks for the references, but those all seem to point to pane views only.  I'm more interested in a graphical display.

I wrote about this yesterday in the last post in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90999.msg625900#msg625900

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:58 pm »

Thank you all for the replies.  I have slowly but surely made progress into learning more about setting up view schemes.

Listener, I went through your Classical music example.  When you limit the Composers to those from a list, is there anyway instead to limit the Composers to those who are attributed with a large (say 50 or 100) number of works?  In essence, I'd like to create a dynamic list of composers, instead of a static, pre-typed list.

Thanks for any help.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 07:05:40 am »

Thank you all for the replies.  I have slowly but surely made progress into learning more about setting up view schemes.

Listener, I went through your Classical music example.  When you limit the Composers to those from a list, is there anyway instead to limit the Composers to those who are attributed with a large (say 50 or 100) number of works?  In essence, I'd like to create a dynamic list of composers, instead of a static, pre-typed list.

I'm on vacation far away from my MusicPC. 

Two suggestions:

- Explore the possibilities for rules in the set rules for file display dialog.

- Define a category based on an expression which separates composers into those with more than some # of recordings and those that have fewer.  You would usually select the more than # value at the beginning of browsing.

For help with expressions, Marko and others are a deeper resource than I am.

One idea for you.  You may want to define several tabs and leave a frequently used view in several of them.  For example, I have tabs for the major composers, for ripping and for importing.  When the start in last location setting, MC comes up with the views I want in place.

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:27:38 am »

- Define a category based on an expression which separates composers into those with more than some # of recordings and those that have fewer.  

Therein lies the rub.  I can't figure out any way to do this, particularly counting number of recordings.  Although I'm starting to wonder about the Save() function.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:41:02 am »

Morning Mirdle,

I got your PM, and you know, without it, I would never have looked in here as classical music is a minefield for me and from previous threads, I get the impression it's a bit of a 'square peg in a round hole' kind of scenario. Now, when it comes to using expressions to key off 'how many of x is attributed to y' the stock reply was always, sorry, can't be done....

Although I'm starting to wonder about the Save() function.
That's the one. I think. I do not have a lot of experience with global variables so am not sure of their limitations. With some quick messing around, trial and error and forum searching, I got as far as an album count per artist that only worked when the list was filtered by artist, otherwise, it returned the number of albums in the full list which is not quite there. mark_h and MrC are names that spring to mind when anyone mentions global variables...

in the meantime, I'll give some more thought...

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:09:34 pm »

Thanksfor any ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up