INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple libraries and Library Server  (Read 3516 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Multiple libraries and Library Server
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »

Hello everyone

I have a Media Server on which I am running JRiver Media Center and have setup two different libraries.

Is it possible to select which Library to open on the client PC without having to load that specific libary on the Media Server first??

I would prefer not to have to combine the libraries.

Regards
Chris

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple libraries and Library Server
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:24:06 am »

Is it possible to select which Library to open on the client PC without having to load that specific library on the Media Server first??

Not that I know of. Since Media Server does the "serving" - the library it's "serving" is the one that the client PCs get. Clients are simply connectors in the layout.

Can I ask why multiple libraries and why you would want that via Media Server?

Now - I have a separate library layout - but only on one of my PCs - which does not participate in the Media Server layout. I use the secondary for my MP3 stuff to sync to the iPod.

Update when you can.

Cheers!

VP

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:54 am »

Now - I have a separate library layout - but only on one of my PCs - which does not participate in the Media Server layout. I use the secondary for my MP3 stuff to sync to the iPod.

Update when you can.

Cheers!

VP

Now that is a brilliant idea....thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:08:36 am »

Now that is a brilliant idea....thanks

Yep - It works perfectly and allows me to do my "library" thing without interrupting the Media Server layout.

I use my office workstation as my "library editor" and in addition to the unique standalone MP3 library that I only use to sync my personal iPod - it has it's own unique version of our main FLAC library as well. I do all the edits, metadata updates, conversions, naming and additions using this instance of MC. And since the actual master storage location is the same for ALL PC's...when I do adds, deletes, updates via my library editor - all changes show up nicely on the HTPC within minutes...with no intervention non my part.

I simply have the Media Server copy of MC (On the HTPC) constantly looking for changes in the SERVER\Music location.

The only real differences are the playlists - the Media Server has a basic set of playlists that the family can use while my own PC has some much deeper lists that only I would care about. If we need to transfer a list - I just export the playlist from my PC and import it on the HTPC.

I find this layout to be much more flexible than having just a typical "client" PC trying to hack away at the main library. Also - I have never been able to get authentication and other "client" only things working right.

VP

arixey

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »

Can I ask why multiple libraries and why you would want that via Media Server?

FWIW, I have the same desire to have multiple libraries loaded up.  From the FAQ and wiki itself, it says a good use for this is multiple users; my fiance and I have pretty different music tastes, but all the music is stored on our main home computer.  We have some different libraries set up with our own playlists, ratings, etc, but can only choose from one at a time.  This also means that if I'm using the computer and listening to music there, she can't connect to the server via JRemote and choose songs from her library -- only my stuff.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:28:22 pm »

FWIW, I have the same desire to have multiple libraries loaded up.  From the FAQ and wiki itself, it says a good use for this is multiple users; my fiance and I have pretty different music tastes, but all the music is stored on our main home computer.  We have some different libraries set up with our own playlists, ratings, etc, but can only choose from one at a time.  This also means that if I'm using the computer and listening to music there, she can't connect to the server via JRemote and choose songs from her library -- only my stuff.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Users

TCube

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:55:56 am »

@ Vocalpoint

That's interesting ! Looks like a very simple configuration to set MC Media Server for different "clients"
May I ask one question ('cause english is not my native language)

- When you mention 2 different libraries is that on the same PC or 1 library each on one different PC ?

I have a totally different frame of mind regarding the scope of web sharing, but, this seems to be the simplest way to do it with the MC configuration and no 3rd party. I would be interested to spread the word (*)

Rgds
T3

(*) Ref . http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90389.msg631295#msg631295

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:16:59 am »

When you mention 2 different libraries is that on the same PC or 1 library each on one different PC ?

Over here - we have the "standard" layout - which is our HTPC that runs the ONLY copy of Media Server (and houses the "official" shared library) to 3 client PCS. These 3 clients have NO local library - and they only act as clients to the Media Server

Then I have my own personal workstation - which has both a connection to the Media Server Library (above) AND it has it's own unique local library (on the PC). It is this local library that I use exclusively on this instance of Media Center. This library is exclusive and not shared.

Another key point to remember is that both libraries (Media Server AND my local one) point to a single media source (Music, Videos and Picture shares - on the home server)

The beauty part of it is that my local PC is the "editor" where I do all my metadata entry etc. It is here that I prep all the rips, add all the tags, test cool playlists and so on. It is also from here where I populate the home server media source folders. So - when I prep, tag and add 5 albums on this local PC - those files then get moved to the server. Over on the HTPC - I have Media Server constantly scanning the server shares for new adds. So a few moments after I complete my stuff over here on my local machine - the new adds appear in the "official" shared library and the clients can access it.

I love the fact that I can do my thing exclusive of all media server activities. There is no syncing changes, no hassles with security and so on.

Plus my local library is the ultimate test grounds for new playlists, views and even new versions of Media Center that can all be tested in a closed environment without wreaking any havoc on the family shared media library.

I would not do it any other way.

Cheers,

VP

connersw

Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 06:45:05 am »

When you do make changes to Views, don't you then have to go to the HTPC and make the changes on that PC too?  Seems like some double work.

Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:35:13 am »

When you do make changes to Views, don't you then have to go to the HTPC and make the changes on that PC too?  Seems like some double work.
Not if you're using a server/clients rather than two "servers" accessing the files off a shared drive.
You may have to restart the client for the changes to apply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up