INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: State of Video Playback on Linux  (Read 15818 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
State of Video Playback on Linux
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:30 am »

Hey guys,

as of Media Center 20.0.13, we offer Video Playback in the Linux version.

Please be aware that the Video support is still under active development, and the experience may be quite rough in the beginning.
Basic features are going to come first, and more advanced features will take a while longer to be available in MC20, however our goal is  to provide a decent video playback experience in the lifetime of MC20.

What does work?
- Importing videos
- Sharing videos over library server
- Playing local videos & videos from other library servers
- Switching audio streams
- Transcoding/Video Conversion

What does NOT work yet?
- Hardware accelerated decoding
- Detached display
- Subtitles
- .... and much more than I could possibly list here

We'll include any new features in the version notes, so keep on the lookout for any video improvements over the next weeks and months.

NB: The list is (usually) up to date to the most recent MC version, and not all features may be available in earlier versions.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: State of Video Playback on Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:50 am »

Great work getting this far.  A big thanks from everyone on the team.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:49:29 am »

Quick hitters...

- Ctrl+s or stop button or changing video while playing causes seg fault
- dual mon support (seems to default FS playback to primary, regardless of which "screen" the MC main window resides)
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:30 am »

Stopping works fine here, and multi-monitor is waaaay down in the list, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:40:42 am »

Hi Hendrik,

Any idea when language / audio track selection will be available?

Cheers,

j.

balky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:32:05 pm »

For me, the main showstopper(s) that is preventing MC from going mainstream for video are 24p, HD audio bitstream and subtitles... but I am not in a hurry at all...

Currently rocking the 2 Channel audio setup... ha... it's freaking awesome...  ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:07 am »

Audio track switching is pretty high up the list, shouldn't be too long.

Bistreaming and subtitles are quite a bit further down the list.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:16 pm »

is BD playback from a windows library server meant to work out of the box?

(NB: I realise this might be a stupid Q as I have never tried to playback a BD on linux before....)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

Blu-ray and DVD is not supported on Linux yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:55 am »

Is serving video over DLNA working from a Linux version yet?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:20 am »

Is serving video over DLNA working from a Linux version yet?
Yes, original format only.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:25 am »

Nice.

Any idea when transcoding will see the day of light?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:38:14 am »

Nice.

Any idea when transcoding will see the day of light?
That's in Hendrik's pipeline!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »

So ... Crack the whip!   8)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

So ... Crack the whip!   8)

Luckily, a whip that reaches that far has not been built yet, so I enjoy a relaxed working environment!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ekpen

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:22 pm »

Hey guys,

as of Media Center 20.0.13, we offer Video Playback in the Linux version.

Please be aware that the Video support is still under active development, and the experience may be quite rough in the beginning.
Basic features are going to come first, and more advanced features will take a while longer to be available in MC20, however our goal is  to provide a decent video playback experience in the lifetime of MC20.

What does work?
- Importing videos
- Sharing videos over library server
- Playing local videos & videos from other library servers
- Switching audio streams
- Transcoding/Video Conversion

What does NOT work yet?
- Hardware accelerated decoding
- Detached display
- Subtitles
- .... and much more than I could possibly list here

We'll include any new features in the version notes, so keep on the lookout for any video improvements over the next weeks and months.

NB: The list is (usually) up to date to the most recent MC version, and not all features may be available in earlier versions.

Greetings:

Any update regarding video support for this platform?

Thanks.
George

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

So I mentioned this over on the Mac board as Hendrik asked if anyone was using Mac or Linux video because he isn't seeing bug reports.  So I thought I'd reoffer mine (originally reported in a build thread).

The main blocker for me using the Linux video engine on my workstations right now is how it handles dual monitor setups.  I mostly get the video stretched across both screens, which is a bummer as my workstations all have two screens, and the only linux box I own that doesn't have two screens is my travel laptop.  So I get the most use out of the engine on my laptop when traveling.  But even then, if I want to plug the laptop into a television in a hotel, the dual-screen issue crops up again in a particularly unusable way (half the image on the tv, half on my little laptop screen, so I have to use VLC (because I don't have windows on my laptop).  

This happens regularly on NVidia hardware (970 and 660)  (probably because twinview simulates one large screen), and sometimes with Intel hardware (HD 3000, and HD 5000) dependning what software is in play.  I've never gotten the NVidia hardware to play nice, but I did manage to get one of my intel graphics setups to work correctly after messing around with xrandr in XFCE. Curiously, GNOME worked out of the box with one intel chipset, but not the other ?, and couldnot be gotten to work correctly on the failing one.  I should emphasize that all other fullscreen software works correctly on these boxes (the application takes full control of one screen or the other, and leaves the second screen alone).

Another (not quite as significant) video issue: The OSD doesn't appear in fullscreen when I mouse to the top (or it appears and then instantly vanishes).  

All machines described in this thread are running Arch 64-bit with Gnome, but I can reproduce the exact same issues in Debian Jessie 64-bit with Gnome.  A couple other folks had issues with dual-screen as well, see e.g. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91972.0

Ekpen

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »

Hendrik,

I am one of those who had registered MC ( Linux), but had not even installed it yet. I have already built a Linux server with 40TB storage, 24 gig of memory, dual Nvidia gtx 9800 x2 gpus, waiting for the update to the video play back. Just today, I decided to clean up all my work areas to get the Linux box fired up sometime this week. The box has been built since 02/2014, I feel no need to crank it up, because all I am interested in is the Video part of the Linux MC, plus theater view. I already have it on MC for Windows with more than 600 + mkv blu ray rips, why worrying  to set up Linux when no blu ray, and video support is limited.
In April, I wrote to ask about the state of video playback in the Linux platform, I got no reply.
I will try to at least install the Ubuntu OS soon, maybe MC 21 (Linux) will bring good luck.
Please at your convenience, let us know where we are at this time.

Thanks.
George Omoregie

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 02:07:15 am »

MVK rips should play back just fine today. Maybe you should just test it and ask about what you are missing specifically.
Blu-rays from disc or from a untouched folder-rip (BDMV folder, etc) don't play, and I'm not sure when we'll go to that, though. Its a bit of a complex topic to handle, it took months/years to where it is now on Windows, on account of LAV Filters - but you seem to have MKVs anyway!

Regarding Multi-Monitor and the controls, I feel like Linux window managements things have a lot more way to go before being actually good in MC, still can't move or resize MC without using the special System-Modifier (Shift was it?) or MC going bananas. :)
But maybe I can figure out how to make the fullscreen window stick to one screen only by using xrandr extensions or something.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 10:34:47 am »

test system (I use this same system for Windows/madVR testing):  HD6570 with openSUSE Tumbleweed x86-64, Plasma5, FOSS driver, dual-mon (DVI->computer monitor, HDMI->HDTV, both set 1080p60Hz)

I don't have the "screen stretching" issue mentioned above, MC generally obeys sizing and positioning.  I can drag the full screen mc video playback window to my second screen(HDTV) and it will continue playback, with the following issues (I see these issues on the primary DVI as well):

- Tearing
- Hard juddering about every 30 seconds or so

I do so the same issues mentioned above with the OSD controls.

Playback material is SD and HD sources in mkv, 23.976fps.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »

I just signed up for the early upgrade to master license 21, currently run MC 20 on my primary HTPC. I too have a 40+ TB Unraid NAS server that houses all the library and would love to switch to Linux version if possible.I have many DVD and Bluray folders+iso's in my library. Having the capability to read (and mount iso) DVD + Bluray folders is a must for my migration to Linux. Is there a tentative timeline for this to happen?

Thanks!

MVK rips should play back just fine today. Maybe you should just test it and ask about what you are missing specifically.
Blu-rays from disc or from a untouched folder-rip (BDMV folder, etc) don't play, and I'm not sure when we'll go to that, though. Its a bit of a complex topic to handle, it took months/years to where it is now on Windows, on account of LAV Filters - but you seem to have MKVs anyway!

Regarding Multi-Monitor and the controls, I feel like Linux window managements things have a lot more way to go before being actually good in MC, still can't move or resize MC without using the special System-Modifier (Shift was it?) or MC going bananas. :)
But maybe I can figure out how to make the fullscreen window stick to one screen only by using xrandr extensions or something.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

We don't even support mounting ISOs on Windows without the use of external tools, so that storage format for videos is probably less than ideal and may take a long time to work natively with MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ekpen

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

This mkv  play back capability does not seem to include rips with 3D?
Apart from lack of theater view , if the video  is capable of playing 3D movies, I will be happy.
Please make a list of video features that are working or available and also future priorities . At least give us something soon please.
I just want an elegant way to play back my mkv rips, 3D inclusive. I do not really care for sub titles  etc.

The wait is killing me.

George

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 01:56:00 am »

There is no 3D support, not on Windows or on Linux/Mac, and its unlikely to happen anytime soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ekpen

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:11 am »

There is no 3D support, not on Windows or on Linux/Mac, and its unlikely to happen anytime soon.

This means, external player ... vlc  or others. I was hoping by now MC  video playback should have these features being worked on by now, and the worst no theater view yet.

Thanks.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up