INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running MC's DLNA Server as a Service  (Read 5202 times)

talkinghead

• Recent member
Running MC's DLNA Server as a Service
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:56 am »

Hello,

I am waiting on my JRiver Id to arrive and was going prepare my NAS with the right DLNA software for it. I am running several Squeezebox Touch:es with Logitech Media Server today but I am unsure what DLNA software to use on my NAS/server. I have an 20TB Windows Server 2008 R2 that is running Hyper-V, I am running an VortexBox (virtually) with LMS & MinimServer today.

What DLNA software should I use together with the JRiver Id, It seems that JRiver Media Center would be the best one but as I understand it it can't run as a service on the NAS, you must be logged in to run it. I am running a headless NAS/server so it would be best if it was possible to run the DLNA software as a service. Can I use JRemote together with other DLNA server software or does it work best together with JRiver Media Center on the NAS?

One of my main reasons for the JRiver Id is to be able to stream my SACD ISO:s or/and DSD files.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:31:47 am »

If I understood your config correctly, you should be able to run JRiver Media Center 19 or 20 Server on your Windows 2008 NAS server in headless mode after you setup up MC19 or 20 the first time.

You can also login to your NAS server via RDP to make Media Center changes or check on it, and you shouldn't need to be logged in for it work.

If you follow this same process here to set it up as a service it might work. I'm just about to try it now on one of my machines.
http://www.jrdata.se/2011/03/11/installing-dropbox-as-a-service-on-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-x64/

Keep in mind that you will have to do your multi-channel SACD transcoding to 24bit PCM from the NAS to the Id. Hopefully your NAS has the processing power because the Id will only handle decoding of 2ch SACD locally.

talkinghead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:42:50 am »

That sounds great, it's exactly the "choose to start Media Server at Windows startup" I was looking for.

I am a 2ch guy but I have built my NAS with a Xeon Quad core CPU that is really good at number crunching ;D so I think it would be no problems for it to transcode to 24bit PCM if I want to try it out.

talkinghead

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:30 am »

Yes I will give that a try, I have created services like that at work and it sometime works sometimes not (I am working with servers as my profession).

Does the function "choose to start Media Server at Windows startup" that you first mentioning works if creating a service fails?

Hilton

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:27:13 am »

That sounds great, it's exactly the "choose to start Media Server at Windows startup" I was looking for.

This will only work if you have auto login setup.

talkinghead

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:18 am »

OK so the function is really start Media Server at Windows login not startup.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:33 am »

OK so the function is really start Media Server at Windows login not startup.

I couldn't get it working with srvany.exe but I downloaded the trial of firedaemon-pro and it worked first time.
http://www.firedaemon.com/product/firedaemon-pro

Pages: [1]   Go Up