INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those about to rock a FiiO X5, I salute you! But this might help more...  (Read 9383 times)

fauxfreshness

• Recent member

I just got my FiiO X5 and found some interesting quirks that are quite straight forward when dealing with a device that has multiple storage mount points.  So here are two examples of .M3U8 files I'm using, but one is created by MC and the other is a modified one based off of the MC.  When using .M3U8, you may get better (or real) Unicode support, but I didn't see absolute paths.  This is normally fine when working with a single mount, but multiple sources are problematic.

Original "Run the Trap" playlist created by MC for the X5 using the first microSDXC card slot (TF1):

Code: [Select]
\Music\Eliminate\Hyper EP\01 - Eastern Swing (Original Mix).mp3
\Music\Flux Pavilion\All Trap Music 2 [Explicit]\26 - Do or Die (Flosstradamus Remix) [Explicit].mp3
\Music\RL Grime\All Trap Music 2 [Explicit]\33 - Shells [Explicit].mp3
\Music\Apashe\Battle Royale_Black Gold (VIP and Remixes)\01 - Battle Royale (Feat. Panther) (VIP).mp3
\Music\Apashe\Battle Royale_Black Gold (VIP and Remixes)\02 - Battle Royale (Feat. Panther) (Tha Trickaz Remix).mp3
\Music\Apashe\Black Mythology\01 - Black Gold.mp3
\Music\Apashe, Dabin, Kai Wachi\Black Mythology\02 - Forsaken.mp3
\Music\Mantis\Block Rocka\01 - Block Rocka.mp3
\Music\Kai Wachi\Echelon\01 - Echelon (Original Mix).mp3
\Music\Aero Chord\EDM.com Exclusive\01 - Bouzouki [EDM.com Excluisve].mp3
\Music\Aryay\EDM.com Free Downloads\01 - The Lawnmower by Aryay.mp3

Original "Run the Trap" playlist created by MC for the X5 using the first microSDXC card slot (TF1), and then modified to work:

#EXTM3U
TF1:\Music\Eliminate\Hyper EP\01 - Eastern Swing (Original Mix).mp3
TF1:\Music\Flux Pavilion\All Trap Music 2 [Explicit]\26 - Do or Die (Flosstradamus Remix) [Explicit].mp3
TF1:\Music\RL Grime\All Trap Music 2 [Explicit]\33 - Shells [Explicit].mp3
TF1:\Music\Apashe\Battle Royale_Black Gold (VIP and Remixes)\01 - Battle Royale (Feat. Panther) (VIP).mp3
TF1:\Music\Apashe\Battle Royale_Black Gold (VIP and Remixes)\02 - Battle Royale (Feat. Panther) (Tha Trickaz Remix).mp3
TF1:\Music\Apashe\Black Mythology\01 - Black Gold.mp3
TF1:\Music\Apashe, Dabin, Kai Wachi\Black Mythology\02 - Forsaken.mp3
TF1:\Music\Mantis\Block Rocka\01 - Block Rocka.mp3
TF1:\Music\Kai Wachi\Echelon\01 - Echelon (Original Mix).mp3
TF1:\Music\Aero Chord\EDM.com Exclusive\01 - Bouzouki [EDM.com Excluisve].mp3
TF1:\Music\Aryay\EDM.com Free Downloads\01 - The Lawnmower by Aryay.mp3

If using the full path, with drive letter option, in .M3U playlist files then you can just tack on the #EXTM3U at the top of the file, and then the storage mount (in my case, it was TF1 since it was the first transflash slot being used and the device can determine which card slot to use when referencing the file.  Just thought I'd pass this along for those that have devices with more than one storage location.  This might help with other devices being used in the field that have local storage and external storage, and it's necessary to just know the absolute path from the device's perspective.  In addition, the #EXTM3U might be optional depending on the device, but I wonder if it would be possible to add that as an option for playlist creation within MC.

As an aside, I edited the files on my PC, but pretty much any text editor in Android or Windows should work with it, but you might have to check for / versus \ characters in the paths as it appears there were comments about changing these.  Not 100% sure on that, but I've also seen alternate carriage returns used in Linux that get mutilated in Notepad and cause the file to be useless.  I can't think of the specific character name right now, but in a *nix editor you'll see a square icon where you would have just had a normal carriage return.  WordPad doesn't have this issue, so when I edit *nix files in Windows without access to something like Notepad++ I just use that.

HTH

fauxfreshness

• Recent member

Here's another way to attack it if you plan on just keeping the playlist(s) limited to the same storage location.  Rather than having absolute paths, including "drive letters," you can still use the normal M3U or M3U8 (which I'm using in my examples because of the Unicode characters) playlists.  However, you still need the #EXTM3U at the top, and the playlist would be a the root of the storage device, sharing the same location as your "Music" or whatever parent folder you have all your artists/albums in.  So...

Before:
Music\Matt Cellitti\Free Download from Soundcloud (Kind of)\01 - Refractory (Instrumental).mp3
Music\Fauxfreshness\The Character\01 - The Beckoning of Wood and Steel.mp3
Music\Emily Browning\Sucker Punch_ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [+Digital Booklet]\01 - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This).mp3
Music\M‡яc▲ll▲\Għøsŧs of Λnŧįquįŧұ Remixed\01 - Şpєcŧr▲l [HELLO, MIRCALLA mix by BLVCK CEILING].mp3

After:
#EXTM3U
Music\Matt Cellitti\Free Download from Soundcloud (Kind of)\01 - Refractory (Instrumental).mp3
Music\Fauxfreshness\The Character\01 - The Beckoning of Wood and Steel.mp3
Music\Emily Browning\Sucker Punch_ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [+Digital Booklet]\01 - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This).mp3
Music\M‡яc▲ll▲\Għøsŧs of Λnŧįquįŧұ Remixed\01 - Şpєcŧr▲l [HELLO, MIRCALLA mix by BLVCK CEILING].mp3

So, going from the playlist's relative location, the player will look for the "Music" directory and follow the chain onward.  The first example shows absolute paths, which work regardless of where the playlist itself is.  Keep this in mind when MC creates a "Playlists" directory on the root mount point and puts all the playlists in it.  If it did that, and you were still using relative paths, it would need to read as:

#EXTM3U
..\Music\Matt Cellitti\Free Download from Soundcloud (Kind of)\01 - Refractory (Instrumental).mp3
..\Music\Fauxfreshness\The Character\01 - The Beckoning of Wood and Steel.mp3
..\Music\Emily Browning\Sucker Punch_ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [+Digital Booklet]\01 - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This).mp3
..\Music\M‡яc▲ll▲\Għøsŧs of Λnŧįquįŧұ Remixed\01 - Şpєcŧr▲l [HELLO, MIRCALLA mix by BLVCK CEILING].mp3

This would allow it to "escape" the current Playlists directory and get down to the common root, where the Music directory is and follow the path from there.  In my case, just having all the playlists on the root easier for now and the .M3U8 playlists don't have drive letters to swap out with the TF1 or whatever physical storage device being used.

CriticalTodd

Any ideas why my playlist doesn't show up under playlists in the X5? If I go into the folder view, I can open it and it plays fine. However, if I try to use Play by Category > Playlists, it doesn't show up on the list.

fauxfreshness

• Recent member

I haven't been here in a while and didn't see this, but the reason why is because the device doesn't search for playlists on the file system and add them to the "Playlists" entry in the media menu.  Those playlists are actually in a separate database maintained by the X5, that I'm not sure is externally accessible via any API at the moment.  Hence, those playlists have to be created on the device in order for them to show up on there.  It's like the dynamic "Favorites" list that gets new tracks added when you select the heart icon while playing them.  You don't see any of those playlists when you connect the device to a system, since the X5 just passes through the microSDXC cards to the host OS initializing the connection and keeps the playlists created on the device within the device's own internal storage.

gonoszpatrik

Hi!

I just wanted to thank you your effort to write down this information about fiio. I've just wasted my time for five hours before I found this topic. Even the official website's description about external playlists was totally unusable to me. This method works fine and now I am capable of making playlists on my PC. Once again Thank You.

Patrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up