INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI audio/video input from any unencrypted source  (Read 64051 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
HDMI audio/video input from any unencrypted source
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:21 pm »

For use as preamp, JRiver and the HTPC in general lack the ability to accept an HDMI input. The nanoAVR HD from miniDSP is an external processor with HDMI input. It allows one to add DSP to their existing digital signal chain.

I was using a Hauppauge Colossus in a friend's HTPC and we were having trouble with channels changing, etc. I realized that whatever the STB was sending was being played by JRiver from the HDMI input regardless of whether it was the right channel or not. It seems that the Colossus or similar could be used for HDMI input of unencrypted sources.

Could JRiver have an HDMI input option that would just play "live" whatever was coming in on the Colossus? With an HDMI switch  in front of the Colossus, one could have several sources all routed into JRiver.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: HDMI audio/video input from any unencrypted source
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »

I am not sure I understand what your are trying to achieve.  But to play whatever comes into the HDMI input, you can play the channel called "SerialDigital Hauppauge Colossus..."

This channel shows whatever come into the input.  MC does not fire IR blaster to try changing channel on the STB.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »

I am not sure I understand what your are trying to achieve.
The main thing is to try to play SACD via PCM over HDMI from an Oppo player through JRiver for DSP.

The following might also be connected:
Receiver output
XBox
Video camera

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:12 pm »

I agree with mojave, on the road to a JRiver "digital preamp" an HDMI input block is a big missing part.

I recently acquired a Steinberg UR824 which, while more powerful, in our context can be seen as 8ch DAC + 8ch ADC.  I am already using the 8ch DAC to directly drive 8 amps, eliminating the receiver I used as preamp-processor (through line outs).  The available 8ch ADC could be used as 4 analog stereo inputs for legacy devices (admitedly I am not a vinyl guy).

But HDMI in would round the offering and allow for cable box connection in those parts of the world where CableCard just does not exist, along with other goodies.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »

I had a Colossus at one point while tinkering with this idea. I didn't have much luck due to latency. The buffers used by the stack are very large (maybe 1/2 second). I suppose that would be liveable for something like TV, but TV is usually encrypted and the lag would still be pretty annoying regardless. It was totally unacceptable for feeding in a game console, which was my goal.

I had better luck with a BlackMagic DeckLink Mini (about the same price). I used their API and the latency was around 2-3 frames at 720p. It doesn't support 1080p and 1080i would mean more latency :-\

-tm

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:46:09 am »

I am not sure I understand what your are trying to achieve.  But to play whatever comes into the HDMI input, you can play the channel called "SerialDigital Hauppauge Colossus..."

This channel shows whatever come into the input.  MC does not fire IR blaster to try changing channel on the STB.
I was at a friend's home theater this past weekend and he has the Colossus. He has tried several USB Windows remote IR transmitters, but they never seem to change channels on his DirecTV STB consistently.

We tuned the SerialDigital Hauppauge Colossus channel instead and set it as a playlist. He loves it! He uses JRemote to play the DirecTV "playlist" and then uses the DirecTV app on his iPad to tune channels and play recordings from any other STB in the house. It works great and makes the TV experience standard throughout the house. This makes it easy for other family members to use as well.

AudioBear

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 03:33:49 pm »

Does a work around exist for this, meaning HDMI input?  I would be interested using this with a time warner box.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:35 pm »

What do you mean by a work around? Instead of a TV station, you use JRiver to "tune" the "SerialDigital Hauppauge Colossus" input. It shows up as channel 900 something. JRiver then plays whatever is connected to the HDMI input if it is unencrypted.

Can you link the the actual Timer Warner box that you own?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:15:26 pm »

mojave's solution is sort of a work around. 

However, this solution is sort of like using MC as a display set (TV set) instead of a PVR.  You can not schedule MC to record a particular channel.

if you can play SerialDigital on Colossus, then you should be able to set up set-top box channels, as long as IR blaster works correctly.  That seems to be a separate issue.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 02:31:05 pm »

Keeping with the original title of this thread, HDMI input is also now available using the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle. It has USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connectivity to the HTPC. The Intensity Shuttle supports 8 channels of PCM audio via HDMI. Previous Blackmagic Design devices were limited to two channels on HDMI.

Would the Intensity Shuttle already be supported in JRiver? If not, what would it take? I envision JRiver with an Intensity Shuttle to be a viable alternative to the miniDSP nanoAVR HD.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:49 pm »

I find it hard to recommend the Hauppauge as it freezes all the time for me so is now in the drawer.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:14 am »

I find it hard to recommend the Hauppauge as it freezes all the time for me so is now in the drawer.
Which Hauppauge do you have? A friend has the Colossus and his system is on 24/7 with no freezing. I wonder if there was a driver update that fixed the issue. The USB HD PVR's should work the same as the Colossus in JRiver.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:27:14 pm »

hauppauge hd pvr 2

I should pull it back out and see if there is a later firmware for it...
JRiver CEO Elect

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 05:17:41 pm »

I am also interested in capturing an HDMI source to play back through JRiver.   Any more discussion on this?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 09:58:41 am »

I am also interested in capturing an HDMI source to play back through JRiver.   Any more discussion on this?
The Hauppauge Colossus is working great for dlbeck with his Direct TV box. I'm going to try a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder and see if it works. You have to have a decrypted source.

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:15 am »

I bought a HD PVR 2 and it works well.   Got a cheap $18 dollar HDMI splitter and that took care of stripping HDCP.   I used it with a Chromecast and was able to stream Netflix with proper video/audio sync (which was the goal).

Only limitation is Netflix is either 2 channel PCM audio or 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Plus.    Since the HD PVR 2 can only do 2 channel stereo or AC3 Dolby Digital the Chromecast only outputs stereo.

A device that passes full 8 channel audio (either compressed formats or uncompressed PCM) is what I am after now.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:20 am »

Can you post the link to your HDMI splitter?

Are you looking for a device instead of Chromecast for Netflix?

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:02 am »

Can you post the link to your HDMI splitter?

Are you looking for a device instead of Chromecast for Netflix?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B7ARRK/

No Chromecast works for me.  I'm looking for an alternative HDMI input device that can accept 8 CH audio.  

I'd imagine that JRiver would be able to decode any compressed formats coming in.   In my case I would need a device that will pass DD+ and have JRiver decode it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

I just ordered a Blackmagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K which supports up to 2160p30 and 8 channels of PCM audio. Hopefully it will show up in JRiver as a capture device.

If it works with JRiver, I plan to try to connect an Oppo BDP-103 to the Intensity Pro 4K. The Oppo has two HDMI inputs so one can connect a cable box or gaming console.

Here would be the signal chain:
(Cable/Satellite, Chromecast, PS3, etc.) > Oppo BDP-103 > HDMI Splitter to remove HDCP > Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K/HTPC

This would stream the following through JRiver for use with madVR and convolution:
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Youtube
Chromecast
Tidal
Pandora
Vudu
Roku
Gaming (PS4, PS3, XBox) - latency may be an issue
SACD playback from discs
DVD-Audio playback from discs

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:45 pm »

Please follow up with your testing.  

This is exactly what is missing from JRiver.

WTH:  I just ordered the Blackmagic device from Amazon.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 03:26:22 pm »

Please follow up with your testing.  

This is exactly what is missing from JRiver.

WTH:  I just ordered the Blackmagic device from Amazon.
The Blackmagic only works with PCM audio so it won't help with getting multi-channel audio from Chromecast. This is why I'm thinking of using the Oppo. The Oppo is unique in that it has two HDMI inputs and will decode all audio formats and output over HDMI as 8 channels of PCM.

Here is some info on latency for the Intensity Pro 4K from Blackmagic's forum:
The Intensity Pro 4K uses the new architecture of the other Blackmagic Design cards announced in 2014 like SDI 4K and Studio 4K . The family of cards are real time full duplex meaning they can process input and output at same time. They also have much reduced latency. Overall Latencies are always dependent on the system and peripherals involved and measurement methodology.

To answer the question, once the input port has the video frame on the Intensity Pro 4K it should be no more than 1-2 frames latency into the system architecture and back to output if you are using our Blackmagic Design SDK for your development.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:26:48 pm »

HDMI Splitter to remove HDCP

I am not aware of any consumer level device that will remove HDCP and continue to pass the full resolution audio+video signal along.  What are you using for that?

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 03:31:04 pm »

I am not aware of any consumer level device that will remove HDCP and continue to pass the full resolution audio+video signal along.  What are you using for that?

It's linked above.  Here it is again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B7ARRK/

HDCP 1.3 has been broken for a long time now.   Usually a cheap HDMI splitter will tear down the HDCP and pass full audio/video.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »

and one for the EU residents - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C23X7Z8

I await the results of this test with interest as this could let me get rid of my prepro entirely

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 04:22:19 pm »

I just ordered a Blackmagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K which supports up to 2160p30 and 8 channels of PCM audio. Hopefully it will show up in JRiver as a capture device.

If it works with JRiver, I plan to try to connect an Oppo BDP-103 to the Intensity Pro 4K. The Oppo has two HDMI inputs so one can connect a cable box or gaming console.

Here would be the signal chain:
(Cable/Satellite, Chromecast, PS3, etc.) > Oppo BDP-103 > HDMI Splitter to remove HDCP > Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K/HTPC

This would stream the following through JRiver for use with madVR and convolution:
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Youtube
Chromecast
Tidal
Pandora
Vudu
Roku
Gaming (PS4, PS3, XBox) - latency may be an issue
SACD playback from discs
DVD-Audio playback from discs

how would you handle zone switch in this case? for example, perhaps you want gaming to go down a latency sensitive audio path so need different DSP to apply. It's not clear to me how you would zone switch on this so would it be a manual operation (where manual includes "covered by some macro based universal remote")?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »

how would you handle zone switch in this case? for example, perhaps you want gaming to go down a latency sensitive audio path so need different DSP to apply. It's not clear to me how you would zone switch on this so would it be a manual operation (where manual includes "covered by some macro based universal remote")?
With JRemote or eos it is super easy to switch zones. You can have a ZoneSwitch rule so that all sound coming in on the HDMI capture card goes to a certain zone. Then you can have another zone for low latency that could be manually switched.

All of the above playback stuff (Oppo, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) can all be handled with a few apps on Android or iOS. It is easy enough to switch between apps. For example, my friend uses the Direct TV app to control his satellite DVR for playback through JRiver and the Hauppauge Colossus HDMI capture card. He uses the JRemote app for everything else including multiples zones in the theater and house. He has a dedicated iPad Air for the theater that anyone in the family can use.

Currently a playlist (with one item) is setup that directs JRiver to use the capture card. You are really just selecting a single TV channel for playback. The playlist is easier to select in JRemote than browsing to the TV channel. I've asked for the ability in JRiver to switch inputs so maybe that would be a future feature.

For comprehensive control of all devices and apps, iRule is a great solution and can leverage JRiver's web service interface and Media Center Core Commands.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »

The Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K arrived today. I installed it and the drivers in a work computer and was able to see the device in JRiver. However, I'm getting an error message when trying to setup. I tried the software that came with it and can't see the device. I think I need to connect an HDMI source to it. I'll have to play with it some more this weekend.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 04:18:58 pm »

You might need to make some changes in the control panel, if it's like the DeckLink I have. It has it's own panel where you choose the input and whatnot.

-tm

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:26 pm »

Looking forward to seeing how this goes, my hauppauge hd pvr 2 is still a PITA.  I really need however a "box" format over a PCI-E card.
JRiver CEO Elect

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:45 pm »

I got mine installed.   Drivers from the website installed wtihout issue.  Configure the device to use HD 1080p 59.94 in the control panel.  Use the same profile in Blackmagic Media Express.   I see sound and video there.  No issues.

Go to JRiver and scan for card.   I see the Blackmagic card as an Analog capture device only.   I select it as a camera.   I add a channel for it however when I go to tune it in all I see is a black screen and no audio.   No luck so far.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:16 pm »

Maybe this upcoming change will fix it?

20.0.82 (3/12/2015)
8. Fixed: Some WebCam devices and some other video capture devices that do not have hardware compression did not work in Television.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »

I'm using 20.0.82 or newer.  ;)

I can also get video and audio in using Blackmagic Media express software.

I did the same as dwaleke and don't have any audio or video in JRiver.

Here is the television related filter info:

Code: [Select]
KSCATEGORY_BDA_NETWORK_TUNER filters

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-0
    @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-0
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-1
    @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-1
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

KSCATEGORY_BDA_RECEIVER_COMPONENT filters

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-0
    @device:sw:{FD0A5AF4-B41D-11D2-9C95-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-0
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-1
    @device:sw:{FD0A5AF4-B41D-11D2-9C95-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10163F05-1
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

AM_KSCATEGORY_CAPTURE filters

Blackmagic WDM Capture
    @device:pnp:\\?\decklink#avstream#5&1e677982&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\decklinkcapture1
        Output Pin 'Video Capture'
        Output Pin 'Audio Capture'

Realtek HD Audio Line input
    @device:pnp:\\?\hdaudio#func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0899&subsys_1462d751&rev_1000#4&2ce4a748&0&0001#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\rtlineinwave
        Output Pin 'Recording Control'
        Input Pin 'Input1'

Realtek HD Audio Mic input
    @device:pnp:\\?\hdaudio#func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0899&subsys_1462d751&rev_1000#4&2ce4a748&0&0001#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\rtmicinwave
        Input Pin 'Input1'

Realtek HD Audio Stereo input
    @device:pnp:\\?\hdaudio#func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0899&subsys_1462d751&rev_1000#4&2ce4a748&0&0001#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\rtstereomixwave
        Input Pin 'Input1'

Lynx AES16e 01+02
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave1
        Input Pin 'Play 01+02'
        Input Pin 'Digital Audio Interface'
        Output Pin 'Record 01+02'
        Output Pin 'Play 01+02'
        Output Pin 'Digital Audio Interface'
        Input Pin 'Record 01+02'

Lynx AES16e 03+04
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave2
        Input Pin 'Play 03+04'
        Output Pin 'Record 03+04'
        Output Pin 'Play 03+04'
        Input Pin 'Record 03+04'

Lynx AES16e 05+06
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave3
        Input Pin 'Play 05+06'
        Output Pin 'Record 05+06'
        Output Pin 'Play 05+06'
        Input Pin 'Record 05+06'

Lynx AES16e 07+08
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave4
        Input Pin 'Play 07+08'
        Output Pin 'Record 07+08'
        Output Pin 'Play 07+08'
        Input Pin 'Record 07+08'

Lynx AES16e 09+10
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave5
        Input Pin 'Play 09+10'
        Output Pin 'Record 09+10'
        Output Pin 'Play 09+10'
        Input Pin 'Record 09+10'

Lynx AES16e 11+12
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave6
        Input Pin 'Play 11+12'
        Output Pin 'Record 11+12'
        Output Pin 'Play 11+12'
        Input Pin 'Record 11+12'

Lynx AES16e 13+14
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave7
        Input Pin 'Play 13+14'
        Output Pin 'Record 13+14'
        Output Pin 'Play 13+14'
        Input Pin 'Record 13+14'

Lynx AES16e 15+16
    @device:pnp:\\?\pci#ven_1621&dev_0028&subsys_00281621&rev_00#4&771b5c2&0&00e5#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave8
        Input Pin 'Play 15+16'
        Output Pin 'Record 15+16'
        Output Pin 'Play 15+16'
        Input Pin 'Record 15+16'

JRVAD Wave
    @device:pnp:\\?\root#unknown#0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave
        Input Pin 'DAC'
        Output Pin 'DAC'

JRVAD Wave (1)
    @device:pnp:\\?\root#unknown#0001#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\wave
        Input Pin 'DAC'
        Output Pin 'DAC'

KSCATEGORY_ENCODER filters

KSCATEGORY_MULTIPLEXER filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_CROSSBAR filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_TVTUNER filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_TVAUDIO filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_VBICODEC filters

MPEG2 Multiplexer filters

This is the pertinent part and is what I have selected as the capture device:
Blackmagic WDM Capture
    @device:pnp:\\?\decklink#avstream#5&1e677982&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\decklinkcapture1

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »

Here is a copy of the filters during attempted playback.

Filter Graph Info (TV graph):

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Capture' of filter 'Blackmagic WDM Capture 460DF079B7A2B9CB'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {B87BEB7B-8D29-423F-AE4D-6582C10175AC}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'VMR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Capture' of filter 'Blackmagic WDM Capture 460DF079B7A2B9CB'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_UYVY, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'Blackmagic WDM Capture 460DF079B7A2B9CB'
        CLSID: {17CCA71B-ECD7-11D0-B908-00A0C9223196}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\ksproxy.ax
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input0' of filter 'Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_UYVY, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 09:23:07 pm »

While MC tries to play (and you get black screen and silence) can you right-click, and check DirectShow Filters, and click the BlackMagic device?  If the name is not greyed out, you should get a property sheet with one or more tabs.  Is there anything that you can do there (if you get one)?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 10:22:35 am »

While MC tries to play (and you get black screen and silence) can you right-click, and check DirectShow Filters, and click the BlackMagic device?  If the name is not greyed out, you should get a property sheet with one or more tabs.  Is there anything that you can do there (if you get one)?
I had tried this yesterday before your post so I didn't take any screen shots. One can pick from various video inputs such as 1080p23.97, 1080p24, 1080p30, etc. I was using a camera with 1080i59.94. I used that setting with the Blackmagic Media Express software and it worked, but did not work with JRiver. Neither did any of the other settings.

Just for reference, there is software called PtBi that is used for video console playback (X-Box, PS3, etc.) through a Blackmagic Intensity capture card. It has a latency of only 2ms with 720p conent!

Blackmagic Design has a Developer SDK which can be downloaded here:  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/download/6a6da481b14e481a867dd5f05c7e5069/Windows

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 01:50:57 pm »

Attached are some screen shots of the DirectShow filter properties.

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:52 pm »

Hey guys, just to verify functionality here....I've got a UR824 as my primary output device with fairly complex convolution filters.  I also have Verizon Fios TV with a DVR.

With a Hauppauge Colossus, I'll be able to feed the output of my DVR (hdmi) to my computer via the Colossus and then watch tv in JRiver with compensated (lip-sync corrected) audio as processed with JRiver DSP (including my convolution filters)?  And use my existing verizon remote control?

Is that correct?

Thanks all.

Jim

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:23 pm »

Hey guys, just to verify functionality here....I've got a UR824 as my primary output device with fairly complex convolution filters.  I also have Verizon Fios TV with a DVR.

With a Hauppauge Colossus, I'll be able to feed the output of my DVR (hdmi) to my computer via the Colossus and then watch tv in JRiver with compensated (lip-sync corrected) audio as processed with JRiver DSP (including my convolution filters)?  And use my existing verizon remote control?

Is that correct?

Thanks all.

Jim
That is correct if your Verizon sends out unencrypted HDMI. If it doesn't, then it may still work with the HDMI splitter previously mentioned. Yes, you can use your existing Verion remote control. If you setup the Colossus as an input only, it will just show what is playing from the DVR.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 11:01:13 am »

Any update on getting the Blackmagic cards to work with JRiver? Anything you need dwaleke or myself to test?

I received an HDMI Matrix card last week, but it wasn't programmed correctly. They are sending another out this week. It will allow me to route 4 HDMI inputs to the HDMI capture card.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:55 am »

I just received my Blackmagic device and am installing it.

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:34 am »

I just received my Blackmagic device and am installing it.

Good news.   Let me know if you need anything tested.    I'm very impressed with this capture card compared to the Hauppauge HD PVR that I was using.   

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 02:28:43 pm »

I can't set this up correctly.  I am not getting any video in the Blackmagic Media Express program.  Any clues?

I use composite video from a camcorder as input (not having a proper HDMI video source).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »

Test the composite video output with a TV just make sure the camcorder is set correctly for playback. I borrowed my dad's camera with HDMI out for testing and needed to figure out the output first using a monitor with HDMI input.

In Media Express > Device does it show the device is connected/installed?
The default tab in the bottom right is the Playback tab. You need to click on the Log and Capture tab.
In Edit > Preferences you may need to change the Project Video Format.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »

Test the composite video output with a TV just make sure the camcorder is set correctly for playback. I borrowed my dad's camera with HDMI out for testing and needed to figure out the output first using a monitor with HDMI input.

The camcorder definitely is outputting video as I can capture its output using Hauppauge devices.

In Media Express > Device does it show the device is connected/installed?

Yes.  It shows only one device - "Intensity Pro 4k", with a check mark on it.

The default tab in the bottom right is the Playback tab. You need to click on the Log and Capture tab.
Yeah.  Tried all tabs.

In Edit > Preferences you may need to change the Project Video Format.

Tried NTSC, 720p 59.97, 1080i 59.97 etc.  No difference.

I tried a work around, by connecting camcorder composite to Hauppauge HDPVR2, and then the HDMI output of HDPVR2's to HDMI in on the Intensity Pro 4k.  The result is slightly better.  I get audio, as I do capture I see green bars on the audio channels, but still no video.

Maybe my on board Intel video is not enough for this device, but at least it should show me some video! 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:34 pm »

In the Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sound there is now an entry called BlackMagic Design Control Panel. Open this and set your input and outputs.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:20 pm »

I did that. 

I made some progress.  With HDMI output from HDPVR2, I was actually able to get video.  Strangely though, I have to select "NTSC" from Media Express > Edit > Preferences. 

Still no luck with composite video input.

In MC, I can play the video.  Time-shifting (and thus recording) does not work.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »

Did you have to set the Directshow filter setting in JRiver to get it to work or something behind the scenes?

For what I envision using the HDMI input for, low latency playback is the priority and time-shifting and recording might not even be necessary at first.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 05:22:30 pm »

I did not have to make any settings change in MC.  As soon as I found Media Express worked, I tried MC.  It just worked (other than time-shifting). 

I am not sure how well we achieve low latency playback.  There seems to be always some delay in DirectShow.  In my test, I can hear a fraction of a second's delay.  Not sure if the delay is caused by routing through the Hauppauge device.

Oh boy, this device seems to be so fragile.  After a reboot, and a few attempts at using Composite video, I lost video again.  Now I can only get audio inside MC (as well as Media Express).  Video consists of a number of static rainbow colored bars.

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »

You might have a bad card.  Mine is pretty consistent with the built in software using HDMI only though.

Although still no luck getting video in MC.  Any tips?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:54 am »

I had my Blackmagic card sitting by the front door so I could play with it a little at work today - and I forgot it!  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up