INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Format date in BE  (Read 2621 times)

NNTK

• World Citizen
Format date in BE
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

Hi,

My format date system is BE (dd/mm/yyyy). I have some situation to confuse.

- When I try create smartlist or view, Searching about date only use AD format (mm/dd/yyyy).
- If picture create pic form paint or Screenshot from windows (win+print scr), JRiver will get date from file but read in AD and change to BE example if date's file (show on system) is "11/10/2557" in BE is "11 October 2557", JRiver change to "10/11/3100" (10 November 2014) when imported.
- If 'date' has only year, 'date' and 'year' is equal example if date is "2014", year is "2014" but if date is "11/10/2557", year is "2014".
- If I click tag from Action Windows and click 'date' for edit (don't edit) then press Enter, Value don't change. But if I Press F2 at Date column in main Windows for edit (don't edit) then Enter date will change by day swap with month and year+543.

I think 'date' and 'year' should same format too. Please use same format all in JRiver.
And fix tag edit at main windows that swap with month and year+543.

Best Regards

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Format date in BE
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:58 pm »

Hi

Is this only for images or do you get this for other media types too?

My OS is also in DD/MM/YYYY format. In creating a view or smartlist based on dates I have to type in the date in that format, however JRiver does switch it to a mm/dd/yyyy on entry. The view is still functional however. It would be nice to correct this, its been doing that for as long as I remember

Tagging with dates does not seem to be a problem - but I have no images with date fields (other than cover art). I also don't use F2 to edit much, but can't seem to reproduce anything adding numbers to the year like you have shown in your screenshot.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »

Dates are a mine field when programming or even simply using computers in an environment with multiple language and cultures.

Personally, I switched my computers to ISO format (YYYY-MM-DD) a long time ago.  This has no ambiguity and posess the added advantage that an alphabetical sort is also a chronological sort.

Consider the short date 10/11/12.  Which is which ?  It depends on who you are and who you talk to...

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »

Dates are a mine field when programming or even simply using computers in an environment with multiple language and cultures.

Personally, I switched my computers to ISO format (YYYY-MM-DD) a long time ago.  This has no ambiguity and posess the added advantage that an alphabetical sort is also a chronological sort.

Consider the short date 10/11/12.  Which is which ?  It depends on who you are and who you talk to...
Yes you've got some good points there. I just thought that the chosen format of the OS would carry through to the application. Like in excel. Doesn't help the OPs problem though.  Never thought of switching to the ISO format .. good suggestion. Thanks  :)

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:17 am »

Hi

Is this only for images or do you get this for other media types too?

My OS is also in DD/MM/YYYY format. In creating a view or smartlist based on dates I have to type in the date in that format, however JRiver does switch it to a mm/dd/yyyy on entry. The view is still functional however. It would be nice to correct this, its been doing that for as long as I remember

Tagging with dates does not seem to be a problem - but I have no images with date fields (other than cover art). I also don't use F2 to edit much, but can't seem to reproduce anything adding numbers to the year like you have shown in your screenshot.

Only image (I think they don't have tag date) will auto fill 'date' from date system in file when imported. And about field 'date' happen to all media type.
Editing with F2 have same my result, you must set system year format to BE.  If year format is AD, don't change.
However, I think field 'year' should same system format (AD or BE).

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:05 am »

Please, MC show year format depend on system year format.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:29 am »

just thought you might be interested in this work around by Marko; see if it might apply for you. Of course "date imported" can be replaced by any date field

I see the same. It's grouping by the raw 'import date' data.

The work around here is to create a new, expression based library field using the expression: formatdate([date imported,0],date)

and then group by that new field.

Now, here in the UK, we use dd/mm/yyyy, which does not sort properly, so I set a field using: formatdate([date imported,0],yyyy/MM/dd) which is better for sorting purposes.

-marko
original post for context==> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92490.0

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:36:03 am »

Thank.

I think all my problem is my system use year format in BE.
So now I solve my problem by change my year format system to AD for consistency with 7 click on my windows 8.1. ;D

I test with using "formatdate()" is same result if year format system is BE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up