INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving files from my hard drive to network drive  (Read 2510 times)

paulx

• Recent member
Moving files from my hard drive to network drive
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »

I am using windows 7. I want to move all my jriver media files on  Hard drive E to network drive. How do i do this?  I want to do so because in future if i want to move the files form E to F,  I will have to redo the complete move manually or is there a way to easily move all the files form E to F. I know that with network drive this easy as network drive can be linked to any drive.  My network drive is an external storage device hooked to my computer  that can be easily be replaced with bigger hard drive as my data grows. An answer to my query will be greatly appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving files from my hard drive to network drive
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »

Select the files.  Right click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.  Use the Find and Replace mode to replace E:\ with F:\ and apply the change.  This will preserve the exact current directory and filename structure, but move them from one drive to the other.

If you prefer, you can also use this tool to re-organize the files into a new structure of Directories and Filenames based on their current metadata fields.

Check the Preview pane carefully before you apply the changes, and do a few and make sure you get what you want before you do them all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

shAf

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »

Select the files.  Right click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.  Use the Find and Replace mode to replace E:\ with F:\ and apply the change.  This will preserve the exact current directory and filename structure, but move them from one drive to the other.

If you prefer, you can also use this tool to re-organize the files into a new structure of Directories and Filenames based on their current metadata fields.

Check the Preview pane carefully before you apply the changes, and do a few and make sure you get what you want before you do them all.

Using a program, other than using the OS, makes me a bit nervous when moving files.  IE, I'd rather copy, then verify, then delete the originals.  However, using this method would tag all the files with new import dates, as well as "never played", ..., etc.

Many cataloging programs will allow for 'finding the file(s)' when the file(s) are missing.  How can I move files "my way"??

Tia, and Happy Holidays!!   ;D
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

You can do it your way in MC.  

Step 1- turn off auto-import in MC
Step 2- move the files "your way"
Step 3- Follow Glynor's exact steps, except change the option box in the upper left hand corner of the "Rename, Move, Copy" dialog so that "Update database to point to new location" is selected instead of "Rename"
Step 4- Once you've got all the database entries updated, turn auto-import back on.

shAf

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:35:05 pm »

You can do it your way in MC.  

Step 1- turn off auto-import in MC
Step 2- move the files "your way"
Step 3- Follow Glynor's exact steps, except change the option box in the upper left hand corner of the "Rename, Move, Copy" dialog so that "Update database to point to new location" is selected instead of "Rename"
Step 4- Once you've got all the database entries updated, turn auto-import back on.

Perfect! ... thank you Mwillems!!

.... Hmmmm(?) that method does seem correct, but I would have expected that selecting "Update database ..." would have grayed out all dialog fields except "Base Path" ... yet "Rule" and "File name" still appear relevant(?)

... and, how do you turn off auto-import?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:41 pm »

Perfect! ... thank you Mwillems!!

.... Hmmmm(?) that method does seem correct, but I would have expected that selecting "Update database ..." would have grayed out all dialog fields except "Base Path" ... yet "Rule" and "File name" still appear relevant(?)

If you're just trying to change the drive, you should uncheck both "Directories" and "Filename" and instead check only "Find and Replace"

... and, how do you turn off auto-import?

Tools-->Options-->Library & Folders --> Uncheck the box "Run auto-import in background."  By the way, the options box has search box at the bottom; it took me a while to spot it, but once I did it became my best friend  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »

glynor's advice is good.  Just try a few.
Pages: [1]   Go Up