INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Fine Points  (Read 2817 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
WDM Fine Points
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:18:23 am »

How does this impact PORTABLE installs/upgrades?

When I attempt at 20.0.25 Custom > Portable > install, the Windows device install dialogue comes up.

Does it create dependencies within the host system Windows relating the files at the portable install location (volatile)?

And vice-versa, does the integrity of the portable install become dependent on the presence of the new WMD device on the host system?

And, what's the impact generally of declining the Windows device install dialog; does this corrupt the .25 install in any way?

Thanks!

P.S. - Totally awesome feature; truly the holy grail!
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM Fine Points
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »

And, what's the impact generally of declining the Windows device install dialog; does this corrupt the .25 install in any way?

I would need to know this as well - as additional audio drivers are not permitted to be installed on our studio DAW machines. We do (and have) enjoyed MC on these machines to playback music as required.

Whilst it may be the holy grail - the real holy grail for me - is flexibility. If you are forcing this driver onto a machine just because you are installing MC20 - that is not flexible at all.

Due to the low level implications (system drivers) this should be offered as a choice to install.

VP

EDIT: Installed the 20.0.25 and I can choose not to install the driver. MC seems fine. Happy camper here.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »

In the Windows Sound Devices setup for JRiver WDM, there is a bit rate/ sample rate setting.  Since my DAC goes up to 24-bit 192khz, I set it to that.

When "IPC" plays in MC20, the Standard View player display lists "192khz" as the sample rate.  But the source is Youtube, so that is clearly not the original sample rate.

The Audio Path is blue, so MC20 is not doing a conversion.

So:

* Is Windows internally converting audio from (whatever the Youtube flash player audio outputs) to 24/192 ?

OR

* Something else ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »

* Is Windows internally converting audio from (whatever the Youtube flash player audio outputs) to 24/192 ?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »

Yes.
So that conversion is being done by Microsoft code, not by JRiver WDM code, is that correct ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:43 pm »

So that conversion is being done by Microsoft code, not by JRiver WDM code, is that correct ?

Yes.  Microsoft code.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »

Unless the application is using an exclusive output, there's no way to bypass the Windows Mixer, so everything will be resampled to whatever you select in the Sound Control Panel.
I'd suggest 24/44 if you use music streaming services, or 24/48 for video.

If you're using a patched-up Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1, Microsoft's resampling code is good.
It's not the best but it is a high quality resampler. There's nothing wrong with letting it upsample to 24/192 - though I do wonder if latency might be lower at lower sample rates. I haven't tested it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up