INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to "Copy files to media folder when adding to library"?  (Read 2732 times)

nsxelent

• Recent member
How to "Copy files to media folder when adding to library"?
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:46 am »

Hello all,

I've recently converted from iTunes to JRiver and am still learning my way around.  First let me say, I'm very impressed with the sound quality, hi rez support, DNLA streaming options, and tons of other features!!  I've just loaded my 400,000 lossless file collection, have 24bit streaming bit-perfect locally to my hi-fi rig and remotely to my headphone DAC/AMP, and have been having fun learning what else it can do.

One thing I've still not been able to figure out how to do is add files from a portable hard drive to the JRiver library and have JRiver copy them into the organized folders on my network drive (like JRiver would do if I used it to rip a disc).   I travel a lot purchasing CD's (and LPs) along the way and rip them (using dBpoweramp) to a portable drive.  In the iTunes world there's an option called "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" which copied the song files from the portable drive into the iTunes media folder on my network drive, all organized into artist/title sub-folders, while it added the songs to the library.

Is there a way to do something similar with JRiver?

Thanks anyone for your helping a newbie.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to "Copy files to media folder when adding to library"?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:06:56 am »

Media Center explicitly (meaning, on purpose) does not have an option like iTunes.  Files are always imported in-place (meaning, without moving them or creating copies).  MC will only move, copy, or rename your files with explicit user permission (meaning, you initiate it yourself).

However...

It does have a very powerful system for moving and copying files.  To use it, you simply select some imported files (this can be just one, or many) and do Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.

This tool can move or copy files to the directories and disks of your choosing and rename them to create new filenames and directories based on the tags in the files.  This is much like how iTunes "automatically moves and renames" your files, except that you get to control when, how, and where they are moved and what filenames they end up with.  If you want some files to be moved with one set of rules, and other files to be moved with another set of rules, you can make presets in the tool and recall them later to use them again and again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nsxelent

• Recent member
Re: How to "Copy files to media folder when adding to library"?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:11 am »

Ah-hah, thanks Glynor.  This was the missing piece to my puzzle... "create new filenames and directories based on the tags in the files".  I saw in the Library tools it had the ability to copy and move files but I didn't notice the option to have JRiver use it's own rules to name and organize the files based on the tag info.  Excellent!

Thanks for your quick reply.  Really having a great time learning all the cool things the program do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up