INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV bugs and improvements  (Read 2428 times)

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
TV bugs and improvements
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »

I've been using OTA (USA) TV within MC ever since v20.00 and it shows great potential (The theater view UI looks fabulous and audio/video playback quality is excellent).  However, a few bugs persist through v20.27, and I believe there are a few areas for improvement in day to day use.  Thus, suggestions follow that are divided in to two categories: Priority bugs that should addressed ASAP, and recommended improvements that can come as time permits.

All findings based on use via Theater View.

Priority Bugs:
1:  When playing back previously recorded content, 99% of the time video will play at proper speed, but audio plays in slow motion.  I don't know if this next point will help with debugging or not, but I can occasionally get the audio to play at proper speed if I repeatedly stop then attempt replay of the content being recorded (like the electronic equivalent of popping a clutch on a car).  Once recordings finish audio and video always playback properly.  I won't speak for others who use MC, but playback of recording in progress is a very important feature I use all the time, especially for sport events.
2:  When I can get a recording in progress to playback properly, it usually starts at the latest part of the recording instead of the beginning where it should always start (at least when playing back for the first time).  I suggest fixing this in one of two ways:
     A-(best option):  Track how often the user has accessed the recording in progress and for the initial view automatically start from the beginning.  If the recording is stopped by the user after the initial view and then restarted, offer the option to "Watch All" (from the beginning), or "Watch" (from the last stop point).
     B-For any recording in progress before playback begins always offer the user the choice of "Watch All" or "Watch".  Though not quite as easy option A for first time playback of a recording in progress, at least users can ensure they are not forced to watch the potentially spoiler view of the latest point in the recording as is the case now.

Recommended Improvements
1:  MC TV has the very useful FF 30 second, RW 10 second skip feature (very effective for benign (from content provider's perspective) commercial skip), but IMHO the controls are mapped to the wrong remote buttons in WMC emulation mode.  Specifically, the FF and RW skip functions are mapped to the right and left menu navigation buttons.  However, these functions belong in the same location WMC currently has them for TV playback:  The >>| and |<< buttons.  At present when using MC, my remote (Logitech Harmony One in WMC mode) does nothing when >>| or |<< are pressed in TV mode, however >> and << do work well for multi-speed FF or RW.  It simply makes more sense to have TV playback controls that sever similar functions like multi-speed FF/RW and FF/RW skip grouped together and active.  I don't think it is an accident that the Harmony One has these four buttons located adjacent to each other on the remote.  Indeed, I only discovered the FF and RW skip options on the menu navigation buttons by accident.
2:  Develop a new recording icon for series recordings so users can easily distinguish them from one-time recordings when viewing the TV guide.  IMS, WMC uses three recording dots arranged vertically and this would work well for MC, but any easily viewed physical difference will do (differently colored dot, dot with "S" in the center of it, etc.)

Again, I want to thank you for the TV/DVR module.  Overall, it is actually one of the better ones I've used but it does require a few bug fixes and functional improvements to elevate it to it's full potential.    

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV bugs and improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:44:04 am »

Priority Bugs:
1:  When playing back previously recorded content, 99% of the time video will play at proper speed, but audio plays in slow motion.  I don't know if this next point will help with debugging or not, but I can occasionally get the audio to play at proper speed if I repeatedly stop then attempt replay of the content being recorded (like the electronic equivalent of popping a clutch on a car).  Once recordings finish audio and video always playback properly.  I won't speak for others who use MC, but playback of recording in progress is a very important feature I use all the time, especially for sport events.
What recording file format are you using? I've seen mention made that .jtv is the preferred format for time shifting. I work in .ts and generally watch programmes in delayed playback to avoid hassles. If I was a time shifter, I'd opt for .jtv.

Here's some more info from Interact:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68402.0
Over to you to look around and see if you can find more.

Priority Bugs:
2:  When I can get a recording in progress to playback properly, it usually starts at the latest part of the recording instead of the beginning where it should always start (at least when playing back for the first time).

I don't think this is a bug. By default MC sets a playback bookmark based on the EPG's start time for the programme. So, if you've set up a "Start recording early", MC accounts for this and takes a stab at where the recording should start assuming that your system clock is correct and the TV station broadcasts on time.

Recommended Improvements
1:  MC TV has the very useful FF 30 second, RW 10 second skip feature (very effective for benign (from content provider's perspective) commercial skip), but IMHO the controls are mapped to the wrong remote buttons in WMC emulation mode.
Have a look at Tools > Options > Remote Control > Commands
MC gives you the option to configure your remote to suit your needs.

2:  Develop a new recording icon for series recordings so users can easily distinguish them from one-time recordings when viewing the TV guide.
This is a regular improvement request comment. Hopefully another vote in the mix will be the catalyst required for change.

;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV bugs and improvements
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:32 am »

Thanks for reporting bugs and giving suggestions.

1. Slow rate of play when recording in progress - this is a known bug that has been bugging me for a while.  I will continue looking for a solution.
2. The default behavior of playing a recording in progress is it starts to play at the beginning of the show, skipping only the lead-in extra minutes of recording at the beginning.  This is assuming you choose to play "the recording".  If you choose to play a channel, it starts at live time.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up