INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM is set to default  (Read 3546 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
WDM is set to default
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

Where is the option within Media Center where I can set it to not change my default audio device to JRiver WDM when updating to a newer build of MC?

I had disabled the MC WDM device in my Windows sound options and updating MC changed it once again  to your WDM as default.
I do not wish to use this as it had too much lag causing videos to be out of sync with their audio.

I believe I should have the option to set this as I choose and should not need to reset it after each update.
. . . the game is rigged

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
WDM is set to default
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »

Where is the option within Media Center where I can set it to not change my default audio device to JRiver WDM when updating to a newer build of MC?

I had disabled the MC WDM device in my Windows sound options and updating MC changed it once again  to your WDM as default.
I do not wish to use this as it had too much lag causing videos to be out of sync with their audio. I believe I should have the option to set this as I choose.

Humorously I have the opposite problem; I have the WDM driver set as default and want it to remain the default, but every update seems to un-default it.   A few others have reported similar issues; something in the driver install is disturbing the default driver settings in an inconsistent way.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: WDM is set to default
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »

Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to control this. All we tell Windows is to update the driver, and it does whatever it does.
Microsoft intentionally doesn't want applications messing with the default audio device, which means they do not even have functions to change the default device, or tell it not to change, or anything.

In practice, most people won't update audio drivers on a weekly basis, and thus never notice any problems with actual audio devices.
We're kinda in a special place here.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »

So what are the alternatives?
Surely you can't expect your software to make unapproved/unwanted system device changes to all user's machines with every install.

Can't this "Device" be an option in the install process? Or perhaps it can be offered as an optional add-on for separate install for those who desire it.

If neither of these are acceptable then at least get it to work properly . . . the audio lag when watching a video is unacceptable.
. . . the game is rigged

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:49 pm »

Is the driver actually changing after each build? I can understand what Hendrik is saying, about microsoft; but why not just have a driver install when the driver is modified, not on every build. Its when there are multiple clients and multiple users involved, where it gets sticky.

Or have a separate download for it like most drivers? Would that be doable?

@AoXo -- reading the sticky on this, you will find videos that help you. You must sync the video with the audio, then there is no problem

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »

If neither of these are acceptable then at least get it to work properly . . . the audio lag when watching a video is unacceptable.

Latency is not something we can fix, its an inherent drawback of the whole system.
Careful tweaking in your system can reduce the latency, but never eliminate it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:49:40 pm »

@AoXo -- reading the sticky on this, you will find videos that help you. You must sync the video with the audio, then there is no problem

Thank you for the information, however:
I am sure there are a number of users who either cannot, or do not wish to go through such procedures to accommodate unwanted changes to their machines.
If the developer is inclined to make such system changes I feel they should accommodate me rather than the other way around, and if not allow me to opt out of such changes.

Latency is not something we can fix, its an inherent drawback of the whole system.
Careful tweaking in your system can reduce the latency, but never eliminate it.

All the more reason NOT to force this install on users!  If it cannot be installed in a properly working fashion (no latency), or made to be automatically self-adjusting then it needs to be an option.
. . . the game is rigged

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:52:27 pm »

Thank you for the information, however:
I am sure there are a number of users who either cannot, or do not wish to go through such procedures to accommodate unwanted changes to their machines.
If the developer is inclined to make such system changes I feel they should accommodate me rather than the other way around, and if not allow me to opt out of such changes.

All the more reason NOT to force this install on users!

In the last version (.29) there was a change to allow folks to opt out:

2. Changed: The installer can be run with /NoDriver to skip the driver install.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »

In the last version (.29) there was a change to allow folks to opt out:

2. Changed: The installer can be run with /NoDriver to skip the driver install.

I am using .030 and did not see such option offered . . . . I will reinstall and look for it.
Nope not offered, and I did check "Custom Install"
. . . the game is rigged

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:04 pm »

I am using .030 and did not see such option offered . . . . I will reinstall and look for it.
Nope not offered, and I did check "Custom Install"

You have to run the installer from the command line with the text "/NoDriver" after the installer .exe. 

I agree that's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it is an available way to opt out.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:43 pm »

You have to run the installer from the command line with the text "/NoDriver" after the installer .exe.   I agree that's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it is an available way to opt out.

While I am grateful about this option - what happens if I do install a version using the switch now (No driver) and then update to a newer version later - WITHOUT the switch (because I forgot to run it that way). I will assume the driver will just install itself again?

Not good at all.

VP

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:46 pm »

While I am grateful about this option - what happens if I do install a version using the switch now (No driver) and then update to a newer version later - WITHOUT the switch (because I forgot to run it that way). I will assume the driver will just install itself again?

Not good at all.

VP

I thought I suggested a "Stable (No Driver)" update channel in this thread but looks like my post failed or something. That would resolve the issue of subsequent updates installing the driver or not.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:45 pm »

Microsoft intentionally doesn't want applications messing with the default audio device, which means they do not even have functions to change the default device, or tell it not to change, or anything.
https://code.google.com/p/audioswitch/

Someone figured out a way to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up