INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changing library location  (Read 12005 times)

bluemark81

• Recent member
changing library location
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »

I would like to move my music library to a different location, essentially changing my existing path.  Once my music files are moved, is it as simple as going into MC20 Tools>Options>File Location>Audio and change the path of my file location?  Do I have to do anything else?  Do I have to remove or delete my existing library first?  Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: changing library location
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:58:27 pm »

One thing to be clear on, MC calls its internal database the Library.  You're referring, I'm sure, to the more generic concept of your media files on disk.

But, just to be sure you get that concept:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library

Ok... That point cleared up, then onto your actual question.  Before you start anything, make a Library Backup.  This will back up MC's Settings and Library to a ZIP file so you can undo changes there (though not to the media files on disk) if needed.  Just make one.  It is way better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Once you've made your backup, there are a number of choices here:

1. Move the files yourself via the Finder, and then fix MC's Library afterwards.
2. Move the files yourself via the Finder, and then let Auto-Import and Fix Broken Links fix it for you.
3. Move the files yourself via the Finder, remove all of the files from your MC Library, and re-import them.
4. Move the files within MC using the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool.
5. Move the files within MC using Drives & Devices under the Tree.

The "best" option, if you want to ensure that the MC Library remains fully intact is to move the files using MC itself rather than externally (Option #4 or #5).  The Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool is quite powerful and can be used to do exactly what you want.  When moving an existing file/folder structure from one disk to another, the easiest way is usually using it in Find & Replace mode (just search for the existing volume name, and replace it with the new volume name, and it'll move the whole directory structure over).

To use this tool, select the files you'd like to move, and do:
Right-click/Control-click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files

The tool can also move files to new folders and create new filename structures based on the metadata in MC.  As I said, though, to move an existing structure, you might want to use Find & Replace instead.

The one downside to this approach is that it will not move any files MC doesn't "know about".  It does move some MC-created auxiliary files over (subtitle sidecar files, album art, and things like that), but it doesn't move everything from the source folders.  It only moves the assets you select in MC (and those few, specific, matching sidecar files).

You can still move the files within MC and avoid this problem if you use Option #5 above.  However, this only allows you to move a single folder at a time.  This will probably work fine if you keep all of your media files in one "top-level" folder currently, and you just want to move that whole "top-level" folder over to another disk.  If so, then this option should work and will make sure that everything in the source directories gets moved, while also making sure MC's Library is kept up-to-date for files that have been imported into MC.

But, if you have a lot of auxiliary files that weren't created or managed by MC in "with" your media files on disk, you want to ensure these move too, and Option #5 is too troublesome to use, then Option 1 might be better.

Luckily, if you're careful, the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool can do this too.  In this case, move the files first yourself.  But, make sure to do so while preserving the existing filename and folder "structure" on disk (move them as they are, don't re-organize things as you move them).  Then, you can go into MC and select all of the "broken" files and still use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool, in the Update Database to Point to New Location mode, instead of Rename or Copy.

Option 3 above is pretty much a sledgehammer.  It is easy.  That's about all I can say about that.

Lastly, in some cases, the Fix Broken Links feature of Auto-Import can just fix these kinds of problems pretty seamlessly.  If you set up Auto-Import to monitor the new location after moving the files yourself, it should go through and fix all of the broken links.  One caution, though: This does count as "re-importing" the files, as far as the [Date Imported] timestamp is concerned.  If you use the [Date Imported] in any of your views or smartlists to track newly acquired content, then that will get all filled with all of your media files as it "fixes" the Library.  This might not be a big deal to you, though, if you don't use smartlists in this way.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:24 am »

wow!  Thanks for the detailed instructions, but now I'm really hesitant to move my files, except I need to.  I'm not quite sure the distinction between #4 and #5 though, so I'm not entirely sure which one to use. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "the easiest way is usually using it in Find & Replace mode (just search for the existing volume name, and replace it with the new volume name, and it'll move the whole directory structure over)."  And, is this applicable to #4 or #5 or both? 

My music files are located in folders identifying the various types such as Hi Resolution Music, DSD Music, iTunes Library, etc.  These are located in a root folder called "My Media".  So, if I understand you correctly, I can move the root with all subfolders onto a new drive using either #4 or #5? 

I am concerned about your comment:  "The one downside to this approach is that it will not move any files MC doesn't "know about".  It does move some MC-created auxiliary files over (subtitle sidecar files, album art, and things like that), but it doesn't move everything from the source folders.  It only moves the assets you select in MC (and those few, specific, matching sidecar files)."  I'm not sure what sidecar files are, but I do have concern if all my album artwork isn't moved.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't?  Most of my music consists of CD rips using iTunes or downloads from HD Tracks and similar sites.

"Luckily, if you're careful, the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool can do this too.  In this case, move the files first yourself.  But, make sure to do so while preserving the existing filename and folder "structure" on disk (move them as they are, don't re-organize things as you move them)."  Don't you mean copy then?  "Then, you can go into MC and select all of the "broken" files and still use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool, in the Update Database to Point to New Location mode, instead of Rename or Copy." Confused :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:15:37 am »

Sorry.  I wrote that late at night and I could have been more clear.  Those two things are separate, but I kind of mixed them together in my description.

If you use #5 above (by moving the files by moving an entire folder within MC using Drives & Devices in the Tree) then:

* MC's links to the files on disk will not get broken.
* It moves ALL files in the source folder, not just those MC knows about (the move is identical to what you'd get if you did it yourself in the Finder).
* You can only move (or copy) source folders as they are, you can't rename the files based on their metadata properties.

The way you do this is by drag-dropping folders in that Tree-view.  When you do this, it'll ask you if you want to copy or move the folder.  However, you can't multi-select folders, so you have to do one at a time.  If everything is in one top-level "root" directory, and you just want to move the whole thing to another drive, this is probably the simplest method.

If you use #4 above (the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool inside MC) then:

* MC's links to the files on disk will not get broken.
* You can rename the files and move them using a variety of methods including doing a Find & Replace search on the filenames, renaming them based on file metadata, and other powerful methods.  Think of this like a "manual" version of how iTunes automatically organizes your files, except that you can decide which files to organize, and exactly how to name them.
* It does NOT move any files you didn't specifically select and tell it to move, with only a few small exceptions (like I explained above, it will move some sidecar files, but this is pretty limited).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:18:37 am »

Sidecar files is a "nickname" for files that go with your media files, but are really metadata, not the media themselves.  Often they have identical names as the source media files (or perhaps the folder they're in) but different extensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidecar_file

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 09:44:55 am »

Thanks....will tackle that in the coming days.  I'm sure this is not the last you have heard from me though.   ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:56 am »

Thanks....will tackle that in the coming days.  I'm sure this is not the last you have heard from me though.   ?

No problem!

I appreciated that your question was well explained and that you'd obviously taken the time to think it through.

jonpom

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »

I'm looking for the best way to handle the following: I imported all my music files under a single main directory along with several sub-directories on a NAS and created a well-functioning library. The NAS started acting up, so I made 2 copies of my music files with the same directory structure, and put one copy on another NAS. But before I could follow above steps, the original NAS became unreadable. Is there a way I can make use of the original Library w/o having to go through import? BTW, I'm using MC 20.94 for MAC.

Thanks, John

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 03:56:04 pm »

I'm guessing you now have a bunch of files in MC that show broken file paths because MC can't find them any more?  I'm further assuming that you know where those files are now located on the new NAS?  Finally, I'm assuming that you can see the new NAS and it's files in Finder.

Is that all correct, or is something else going on?  What you are seeing in MC and how you have it configured will change the answer a little.  Let us know and we'll try to help you in the right direction.

Brian.

jonpom

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »

I'm guessing you now have a bunch of files in MC that show broken file paths because MC can't find them any more?  I'm further assuming that you know where those files are now located on the new NAS?  Finally, I'm assuming that you can see the new NAS and it's files in Finder.

Is that all correct, or is something else going on?  What you are seeing in MC and how you have it configured will change the answer a little.  Let us know and we'll try to help you in the right direction.

Brian.

The original NAS setup was exactly the way I wanted it. I have NOT yet tried to connect MC to files copied unaltered to new NAS, as I was hoping I could somehow use old Library given the file structure naming of the new NAS is just like old NAS, except for Volume name. I know I could just do auto import, but when I did that on old NAS it took several hours.

Is there a way I could just change file pointer in original Library and port over to new NAS?

Thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:07 pm »

Is there a way I could just change file pointer in original Library and port over to new NAS?

Yes. The Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool can do this when used in Update database to point to new location mode. This page isn't done yet, but it has some good links, and covers the basic concepts:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

It actually has a pointer to this very thread in the More section, so make sure you read my comments above.  ;)

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:11 pm »

Try what Glynor is suggesting using the Move Copy Rename tool in Update Library mode.  Try it on one or two files first.

I'd use the find and replace option at the bottom of the tool.  That lets you replace parts of the PATH to the files with different text.  What's really cool is, as you type, the dialog box will update to show you the new file name that it's going to put in the database.  So you can check to make sure it's exactly right before you press OK to do the changes.

Try it on a few files, see if you can get it right.  When you do, then start doing mass changes and you should be able to get everything back in order pretty quickly.  If you need help, examples of path and file names will help for sure.

Brian.

jonpom

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 07:53:51 pm »

Thanks everyone. Btw, I'm a former Audirvana devotee who has found the functionality of MC a real pleasure. (I'm not sure my 68-yr old ears can discern any audible difference!) That said, I find the complexity a little overwhelming. Some "you tube" tutorials would appreciated, like Ted B has done.

Also, I love high quality audio (which I think my chest can discern!!) and MC's ability to deliver.

All the best, John

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:34:46 pm »

When I try to use the Library tools/Rename, Move & Copy Files and I select Copy and update database (shouldn't that be "Library"?) to point to new location, I find that, if I select more than one file, all the file names get changed to a single name.  Even if I select one at a time, all the file names in an album will have the same name.  When it moves the files it looks like I have moved several files but they all have the same name and they are the same file.  I am using Media Center 20 on Windows 7.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:10 pm »

You're not using it correctly.  Give a specific example of what doesn't work.

Rename moves files if you check the directory option.

MC shows what it will do in the list of files in the tool.  Hover your mouse over one to see what it is going to do.

Here's the wiki topic:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_%26_Copy_Files

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »

Here's the wiki topic:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_%26_Copy_Files

Useful, that, eh?

It'll be better when it is done, but it's pretty good as it is now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »

Useful, that, eh?

Take your pick.

Apologies to vegetarians.

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:00 am »

A timely thread as I've just moved my music library of 16,000 tracks to a new external disc.  I used the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool and it worked flawlessly.  I did create a smartest to allow me to select and move one genre at a time, but the whole process was very straightforward and also tidied things up nicely.  So thanks for the above advice - I'm even more impressed with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up