INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono player not recognized  (Read 37376 times)

boomklever

• Recent member
Pono player not recognized
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:42:23 am »

I am the happy owner of a brandnew Pono player and noticed it uses the JRiver software for music handling. Though it's called Pono Musicworld 20 it actually is JRiver Mediacenter 20.

I connected the Pono player to the USB port of my Windows 7 machine and I remember it was not recognized at once. There has been a moment that the player was recognized and appeared in the "PonoPlayer, Drives & Devices" section, but I don't know how that happened.
Anyway, if I reconnect the Pono player again it will not be recognized by the JRiver software. I also tried to rescan (through the Options menu) but it still is not recognized. Of course I tried a cold boot from both devices, but still no contact...

Anyone with suggestions? There is no way now how I can transfer music :-(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pono player not recognized
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:46:25 am »

We'll try to help a little but your primary contact should be Pono.  They have a forum.

Does it appear in Windows?  If not, it won't show up in MC either.

Wait longer.  The first sync might take a while.

The Pono MW is not the same as MC.  There are a lot of similarities though.

boomklever

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:51:11 am »

Thanks for the quick reply! I have reported the issue to the Pono forum now.

Meanwhile I uninstalled 'everything', even did a System Restore, so that I could start all over without too much history. I started with connecting the Pono player. Yes, it does show up in Windows, there are also two drives reported (Removable disks), probably the system memory and the memory card of the Pono.

I then installed PonoMusic 20, but still no sign of the 'handheld' device there. So I have to wait for support from Pono directly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:06:34 am »

What is the version?  It's under Help.

boomklever

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

Harryoe

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:00:42 pm »

Thanks fort the quick reply! I have reported the issue to the Pono forum now.

Meanwhile I uninstalled 'everything', even did a System Restore, so that I could start all over without too much history. I started with connecting the Pono player. Yes, it does show up in Windows, there are also two drives reported (Removable disks), probably the system memory and the memory card of the Pono.

I then installed PonoMusic 20, but still no sign of the 'handheld' device there. So I have to wait for support from Pono directly.

I received my Pono player today and have the same exact problem. Can you please post a link to your post in the Pono forum? I would like to follow your progress. I sent an email also to support at ponomusic and will let you know if/how they respond...

Thanks. Enjoy the music! - Harry

Harryoe

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 04:32:02 pm »

Ok i called Pono tech support and while I had them on the phone I figured it out. I had to acknowledge on the touchscreen that I wanted to transfer music and then it would mount the drives.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »

Ok i called Pono tech support and while I had them on the phone I figured it out. I had to acknowledge on the touchscreen that I wanted to transfer music and then it would mount the drives.
Thanks for posting the solution.

boomklever

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:36 am »

Thanks for the confirmation as well! And yes, that is the solution. Though I still have the problem that I only see my Pono's internal memory mapped as a drive. The SD memory card is not mapped and Windows wants to format it for me. Which I won't do of course... This means I can now transfer music, but still get no access to the albums on the memory card (can't make a backup of these files).

Harryoe, did you get access to the memory card?

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »

I'm having the same problem and acknowledging that I wanted to transfer music did not resolve the issue.

Harryoe, you said you did a system restore. Did you mean a system restore of the Pono? If yes, how do you do that?

WhiteFang

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:06:54 am »

I'm having a bear of a time as well, seems to be hit or miss.  The only way I have found to do this reliably is to power down the pono, power it up, plug it in.

Sync keeps saying no player detected.

Sometimes one or the other or none of the SD cards mount in the Windows explorer.  Hitting "yes" on question if want to upload music, then waiting (not hitting done) does not seem to work any differently from "yes"+"done".

Worse, I can't get to Pono support forum from their webprofile/customer portal web-page.. 

A link to the pono forum thread covering this sync/connect topic would be appreciated!

bseward

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:47:23 pm »

I am having the same issues, I spoke with Pono support this morning and was able to get it to work, but the issue seems to be getting windows to recognize the device on a consistent basis. Perhaps it is a driver issue for Windows 7... I was able to see both the main memory and my card as separate drives. But now I cannot seem to get it to see it at all, i.e. PonoMusic or Windows....

A link with written instructions would be helpful.

Bob Seward

bseward

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:12 pm »

Here are some instructions for the steps that worked for me to get Windows to recognize my Pono Player.

1.) Open Ponomusic
2.) Connect Pono player to USB port
3.) Turn on the player
4.) You should be prompted with music transfer mode - Load Music?
5.) Tap Yes, so that Windows and Ponomusic can see the player and assign the  drive letters to the main memory and SD card if one is installed
6.) If Autoplay prompts pop up from Windows click on the Red X in the upper right hand corner of the pop up to exit and move on.
7.) Then at the top of the Ponomusic player screen , choose Tools, then Options from the dropped down menu, then click on Redetect all devices, then click Yes and wait a bit for Ponomusic to see the player and it's drive letters assigned to it by Windows

If all goes well you should see your Ponoplayer appear on the left hand side under Ponoplayer with drive letters assigned to it.

Good luck,

Bseward

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »

Bseward,
Thanks for posting that.  I may quote you in a new thread.

Welcome to you and other Pono users.

Jim

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:33 am »

Here are some instructions for the steps that worked for me to get Windows to recognize my Pono Player.
7.) Then at the top of the Ponomusic player screen , choose Tools, then Options from the dropped down menu, then click on Redetect all devices, then click Yes and wait a bit for Ponomusic to see the player and it's drive letters assigned to it by Windows
In place of step #7, you can also just click "Sync Handheld" in the lower left Action Window after the drives are recognized in Windows.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

magoo24

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 09:35:19 am »

Hello guys:

I have had the exact same issues.
I discovered the steps that the other poster has outlined by trial and error last weekend.

That said, while my Windows 7 computer now finally recognizes the Pono player......both the internal drive and the added memory card......
I still cannot get the files on the player to "sync with the JRiver software "music library".

The files are detected as residing on the player but will not migrate.

i can download music from the Pono store onto the JRiver player, and rip music from my CD collection but I have to move it manually to the player.

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:10 pm »

The files are detected as residing on the player but will not migrate.
i can download music from the Pono store onto the JRiver player, and rip music from my CD collection but I have to move it manually to the player.
Within the JRiver player, you can drag & drop albums, tracks, or playlists onto the PonoPlayer.  Is that what you mean by moving them "manually to the player"?  You can also go into the "Handheld" options and select playlists to automatically sync to the player when it's connected.

kinch

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »

I use my Pono with Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows has no trouble picking up both the Pono internal memory and the micro SD card.

What I do is the following, with my Windows machine running.

1. Turn on the Ponoplayer. Let scanning etc complete.
2. Insert the USB cable into the computer USB port, and then insert the micro USB plug into the Ponoplayer micro USB port.
3. The Pono will ask "Load Music" Yes or No. Select Yes.
4. Do NOT select "Done" yet.

5. Windows will now open two windows, one for the internal memory and one for the micro SD card.
On the internal memory window, there is a folder called Music (on the LE version of the Pono: I don't know if it is the same on the Yellow and Black Ponos). Open the folder and have a look to see what is in it. On the LEs there's a free track from "Harvest".

You can drag and drop onto the internal memory Music folder and onto the micro SD card Music folder (or whatever you name your Music folder) to your heart's content.

You can also open Ponomusic World and the Pono and micro SD card folders will be available there.

6. When you've finished working with files on the Pono select "Done". That is effectively the same as ejecting the Pono from the computer. It will charge, but it will not be available for transferring files until you re-insert the USB cable.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

I've learned that Windows XP may not be able to read the Micro-SD card because of how it's formatted.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »

spingle

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 05:54:16 pm »

Anyone know how common this issue is? Got mine 24hours ago, still futzing with it & haven't heard note one of that sweet, perfectly defined music I supposedly bought. It's such an ugly out of the box experience that I'm yearning for my much maligned Zune player/software combo. I feel like I'm doing the Pono hokey-pokey. Some of the suggestions in this thread have gotten the player visible to my PC ... once. Do you have to stick your left foot out & shake it all about every time you plug in?
Jeez, it's a USB connected external drive. What's the issue? I thought "plug and pray" days went away long ago.
Sorry. Just venting. I'm using Win 7 Pro on a year old machine with resources to spare. I thought I was well within the software configuration hot spot & of anything I expected, digging out my old DOS 3.0 disks to figure out what's going on wasn't on the list. I imagine I'll work through it ... though I can't figure out why I have to.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 05:10:19 am »

Same as others, struggled initially, but the key is to simply plug in the USB cable and click "Yes" to the question "load music?".  The drives appear, and MC can see then for syncing.  Once you get that, it's simple.

I'm glad I'm a long time MC user as I can imagine newer guys struggling...

Have to say, it's worth the effort... the Pono sounds astonishing.

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:45 am »

Anyone know how common this issue is? Got mine 24hours ago, still futzing with it & haven't heard note one of that sweet, perfectly defined music I supposedly bought. It's such an ugly out of the box experience that I'm yearning for my much maligned Zune player/software combo. I feel like I'm doing the Pono hokey-pokey. Some of the suggestions in this thread have gotten the player visible to my PC ... once. Do you have to stick your left foot out & shake it all about every time you plug in?
Jeez, it's a USB connected external drive. What's the issue? I thought "plug and pray" days went away long ago.
Sorry. Just venting. I'm using Win 7 Pro on a year old machine with resources to spare. I thought I was well within the software configuration hot spot & of anything I expected, digging out my old DOS 3.0 disks to figure out what's going on wasn't on the list. I imagine I'll work through it ... though I can't figure out why I have to.
Does it show up in Windows Explorer?

Also, which version of PonoMusic World are you running?  There was a fix in build 20.0.43:
1. Fixed: Automatic recognition of PonoPlayer was not always reliable, especially if there was a long delay before user clicked the 'transfer files' button on it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 09:36:08 am »

Same as others, struggled initially, but the key is to simply plug in the USB cable and click "Yes" to the question "load music?". 
... and not to press "Done", which I think ejects the device.

spingle

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »

The instructions here clarified the issue and I'm mostly up and running. (Limited time for this kind of play at the moment increased the problem.) I've never used a USB device that controlled the PC drive recognition from the device itself -- so the interplay seemed alien. Zunes, Samsungs & Creative MP3 players showed up out of the box, latched onto the software & it was off to the races.
Kudos to this forum, however ... I appreciate the help.

F1Turbo

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »

Anyone know the steps you have to take to get a Mac to recognize the Pono?  I'm used to just plugging something in and having it show up.

F1Turbo

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »

I didn't know we could talk to a person.  Can you reveal the phone # for tech support?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 05:37:53 pm »

Anyone know the steps you have to take to get a Mac to recognize the Pono?  I'm used to just plugging something in and having it show up.
When the Pono is connected, follow the instructions on the device, but do not hit "Done".

Download and install this build:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94374.0

tubeMike

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »

This is in response to JimH's problem with Windows-XP.  For Windows-XP to read SDXC cards -- 64 G-bytes & 128 G-bytes -- installed in Pono players, the "exFAT" patch must be installed in Windows-XP:  The patch is at:
          http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364
Since it seems that Pono players ship with a removable 64 G-byte SDXC card pre-installed. without this patch, only the internal 64 G-byte Pono memory will be seen from within JRiver.

F1Turbo

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 06:00:18 pm »

When the Pono is connected, follow the instructions on the device, but do not hit "Done".

Download and install this build:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94374.0

Thanks, JimH--I can see both the Pono and the card in Finder now, but only the Pono in PonoMusicWorld.  Shouldn't be much of a problem, since I should just be able to load files onto my cards through the card reader in the Mac.  Thanks again.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 06:53:49 pm »

I've had some problems with the PonoPlayer not getting recognized when plugged in to a USB port.  I'm using an HP laptop with Windows 8.1.  Plugging in a USB 3.0 port.  Using PonoPlayer firmware 1.0.4.  Sometimes the PonoPlayer is recognized and gets drive letters and sometimes not.  Interesting part though is when I plug the PonoPlayer in a USB port on a powered USB 3.0 hub the PonoPlayer is much more reliably recognized.  I'm using an Anker USB 3.0 4-port powered hub (amazon link).

I don't know what's going on.  Probably an issue with the PonoPlayer.  Hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix it.

The USB 3.0 ports on my laptop have enough power to power a WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 portable hard drive.  The port isn't under-powered.  I don't know why using a powered hub makes a difference to the PonoPlayer.  Weird.  I haven't checked the Pono forums yet to see if there's been discussion of this.

xmarc999

Re: Pono player not recognized - Mac
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:41 pm »

My fix on a Mac was based on the one of the Windows posts (Thanks!). The following is edited for Mac.

1.) Open Ponomusic
2.) Connect Pono player to USB port
3.) Turn on the player
4.) You should be prompted [on the Player] with music transfer mode - Load Music?
5.) Tap Yes, so that Windows the Mac and Ponomusic can see the player.
and assign the  drive letters to the main memory and SD card if one is installed
6.) If Autoplay prompts pop up from Windows click on the Red X in the upper right hand corner of the pop up to exit and move on.

6.) Then at the top of the Ponomusic player screen [on the Mac], choose Tools, then Options from the dropped down menu, then click on Redetect all devices, then click Yes and wait a bit for Ponomusic to see the player and it's drive letters assigned to it by Windows on the Mac

JohnT

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:09 am »

Thanks, JimH--I can see both the Pono and the card in Finder now, but only the Pono in PonoMusicWorld.  Shouldn't be much of a problem, since I should just be able to load files onto my cards through the card reader in the Mac.  Thanks again.
Does it recognize the external SD card if you follow xmarc999's instructions above?

If not, if you have the time, could you send me a PMW log file?

1. Help / Logging / Enable logging
2. Plug in the PonoPlayer and wait for the internal card to show up but not the external card.
3. Help / Logging / Report problem
4. Mail to johnt at jriver dot com  (replace "at" and "dot" with punctuation marks)

Thanks,
John

cristofer

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 01:24:32 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but here goes: I am runnng PMW on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.10.1, and PMW 20.0.50. After much experimentation, I have the best luck by opening PMW first, then connecting the PONO player and selecting YES to "Load Music?" 

The problem I am having now is that I sideloaded a playlist from iTunes (it actually copied all the songs, surprisingly) but they ended up scattered all over the place, since the playlist had 48 songs from about 20 different albums. As far as I know, there is no way to create a playlist directly on the player (correct? please tell me if I'm wrong about that) so I synced with PMW and created the playlist there.

I have tried two different ways to then incorporate the playlist onto the player: 1) drag-and-drop from the Playlists in PMW; and 2) syncing with Playlists selected. Both ways sent the software into an endless do-loop, where a progress bar opened up, but after 12 hours it still had acheived 0% progress.

Ideas, suggestions...?

JohnT

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:55 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but here goes: I am runnng PMW on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.10.1, and PMW 20.0.50. After much experimentation, I have the best luck by opening PMW first, then connecting the PONO player and selecting YES to "Load Music?" 

The problem I am having now is that I sideloaded a playlist from iTunes (it actually copied all the songs, surprisingly) but they ended up scattered all over the place, since the playlist had 48 songs from about 20 different albums. As far as I know, there is no way to create a playlist directly on the player (correct? please tell me if I'm wrong about that) so I synced with PMW and created the playlist there.

I have tried two different ways to then incorporate the playlist onto the player: 1) drag-and-drop from the Playlists in PMW; and 2) syncing with Playlists selected. Both ways sent the software into an endless do-loop, where a progress bar opened up, but after 12 hours it still had acheived 0% progress.

Ideas, suggestions...?
Do the playlists play Ok in PMW?

cristofer

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »

Actually, no...when I hover the mouse over one of the files, it displays a directory that says /Volumes/PONOPLAYER/Music/*filename (the name of the playlist)* So it appears that the files have been moved to the player.

But no such playlist exists on the PonoPlayer. All the tracks are there, under the tab for Songs, but they are not grouped together as a coherent playlist.

JohnT

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 09:45:03 am »

Actually, no...when I hover the mouse over one of the files, it displays a directory that says /Volumes/PONOPLAYER/Music/*filename (the name of the playlist)* So it appears that the files have been moved to the player.

But no such playlist exists on the PonoPlayer. All the tracks are there, under the tab for Songs, but they are not grouped together as a coherent playlist.
Try this:
1. create a playlist in PMW (right click on "Playlists" in left-hand tree view, select New Playlist, and give it a name)
2. drag and drop music tracks from the PMW "Music Library" view (NOT from tracks on the PonoPlayer listed under "PonoPlayer, Drive & Devices".
3. double click the playlist to listen to it in PMW
4. connect your PonoPlayer device and press "Yes" for the Load Music? question
5. select "Sync Handheld" in the lower left "action window"
6. drag and drop the playlist onto the PonoPlayer device
7. after the transfer, disconnect the device and test playing the playlist on it

Now try playing t

shieber

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 10:32:48 am »

I suspect some occurrences of the  "not recognized" issue is a pono firmware 1.04 problem since even windows can't recognize the pono when the problem occurs, even if set to Transfer Mode, even if reconnect. Sometimes you just keep restarting, reconnecting until it works. Sometimes pmw recognizes the drive but doesn't show any files on it even though it's loaded.

The_Traced

Pono player not recognized by windows
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »

Hello, I had recently purchased a Pono player on eBay advertised as brand new, unopened and in working condition and it appears to be so.

Everything is functional except for my ability to sync music to it through Pono music world due to the lack of connectivity with the computer. Upon connecting the device it will charge, but will not prompt me with a "load music" option or even be picked up as a device on windows (using windows 8 by the way). I was reading around here prior to posting and noticed others were also having this issue so I'm left wondering, is there is a firmware bug? Also considering PMW is in the beta phase, may this just be a waiting situation or am I dealing with a damaged/defective device? Or better yet has anyone in a similar situation found a fix?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Pono player not recognized by windows
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:09 am »

When you connect, don't press "Done" on the device.

Updating the firmware should improve the process.  This should happen automatically, but you may need to leave it connected for a while, then restart the device.

The_Traced

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 11:22:21 am »

One of the other threads here addresses this topic.

When you connect, don't press "Done" on the device.

Updating the firmware should improve the process.  This should happen automatically, but you may need to leave it connected for a while, then restart the device.
That's the thing, I don't even get an option to press done, absolutely nothing happens. It will only charge when connected to my computer and absolutely nothing more, it doesn't even show up as a connected drive in windows.

I tried restarting while connected and leaving it for a while too, but I figured something was weird when I initially connect the device and windows doesn't install any drivers. I already have the latest PMW version and as for the Pono firmware I believe 1.0.3 is the latest?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 11:22:09 pm »

That's the thing, I don't even get an option to press done, absolutely nothing happens. It will only charge when connected to my computer and absolutely nothing more, it doesn't even show up as a connected drive in windows.

I tried restarting while connected and leaving it for a while too, but I figured something was weird when I initially connect the device and windows doesn't install any drivers. I already have the latest PMW version and as for the Pono firmware I believe 1.0.3 is the latest?

Latest firmware is 1.0.4
The firmware version is in "Settings" on the PonoPlayer
Scroll down to the bottom of the settings menu, down to "PonoPlayer Info"
Open PonoPlayer Info and the firmware version on the player will be listed

Getting the player connected when using 1.0.3 was a bit more tricky than with 1.0.4, at least in my experience.
Try unplugging the player from the USB port and plugging it back in.  Try different USB ports.  Eventually it will get recognized.

Make sure you've got a reliable USB connection before doing the firmware update.  Make sure the player is able to stay connected without experiencing strange disconnects.  If the connection is stable and reliable then do the firmware update.

snowys4

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »

Hi,
I have a kickstarter pono & run PMW 20.0.50
My computer runs Windows 7
I have managed to connect to PMW only once when I downloaded the 1.04 firmware.

I have followed the guidance above & have the pono & sd card recognised as separate drives by the the computer.

However, PMW does not recognise the device, even after redetecting.

Is there anything else I can do to get the pono detected in PMW?

Thanks,
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 05:44:00 pm »

When you connect it, follow the instructions on the device, but don't press "Done".

Does it show up in Explorer?

enso

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

upgraded to PMW 20.0.100 (because old version would not open).  Its been awhile since Ive tried to manage my music on my pono and its  running 1.0.4 firmware.  I've tried everything to get it to enter transfer mode.  Im running a Mac at 10.10.4. I can't upgrade player firmware because the software wont even see the player.
tried all the esoteric methods in this thread, started a support ticket with Pono... generally feeling sad about it all.

Tunedelicious

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:01 pm »

I think this has something to do with how the Player is connected to a PC. I get no results when I connect to a hub built into my Dell monitor, and I think it might not have enough power to carry the signal to my laptop. I sometimes have more success connecting the Pono directly to the laptop. This seems stupid, because laptop owners have only a few USB ports and we often have them filled with peripherals, but there it is. That's my guess, anyway.

JohnT

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 07:48:54 am »

upgraded to PMW 20.0.100 (because old version would not open).  Its been awhile since I've tried to manage my music on my pono and its  running 1.0.4 firmware.  I've tried everything to get it to enter transfer mode.  I'm running a Mac at 10.10.4. I can't upgrade player firmware because the software wont even see the player.
tried all the esoteric methods in this thread, started a support ticket with Pono... generally feeling sad about it all.
Mac or Windows?  Do you see the PonoPlayer show up in the OS (Finder on Mac, Explorer on Windows)?  Have you tried a different USB cable and different USB ports on your computer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up