INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hangs -- What to look for in the log file? [Solved]  (Read 5509 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Hangs -- What to look for in the log file? [Solved]
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »

Perhaps this can be an extra credit class.  :)

I help some friends with their JRiver installations. They don't post on Interact much if at all. One is currently having JRiver become unresponsive on a daily basis. He has to restart JRiver to continue using it. He sent me a 6 MB log file last night.

Are there any tips for what to look for in the log files? I've always just e-mailed mine to Matt, but the more self diagnosis, the better. I can send the log file to anyone who would like to take a look.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: What to look for in the log file
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »

Look for the last line that the main thread output.

The thread id is the second number in each line.

Is it dangling in a function?  That's the most likely on a hang.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:22:00 pm »

For a crash, not a hang, search for "crash" near the bottom of the previous log.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »

Look for the last line that the main thread output.

The thread id is the second number in each line.

Is it dangling in a function?  That's the most likely on a hang.
Is the last line usually in the Log.txt or Previous Log.txt? I'm not sure when the log resets. How do I know which thread ID corresponds to the main thread?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »

It would depend on whether the program was still running.  Then it would be in the current log. 

If you killed the program and restarted it, then the problem log would be the previous one.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »

This is the last line on the main thread:
14704498: 5168: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Stopping current auto-import processing

I've seen other machines that hang stopping auto-import.  I have no idea why though.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

For those following along, the first line that says
0000000: 5168: General: Starting logging: Date: 11/10/2014 5:28 pm
contains the main thread ID. In this case, it is 5168.

I then went to the end of the log file and inserted the cursor. I pressed Ctrl+F for Find and entered " 5168". Notice the space before the ID. This made sure I was just just searching for the ID and not 5168 embedded in another number such as 15168976 (real example from the log). I am using Notepad to open the text file so I also selected "Up" as the direction to search.

By using this method, you get to the last instance of the main thread which is:
14704498: 5168: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Stopping current auto-import processing
This is what Matt referenced in the previous post.

I've had JRiver hang for me when an external hard drive spins down and then JRiver tries to access the drive. Perhaps that is what is happening here. My friend has two or three Synology NAS enclosures plus a local disc for media storage.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:31 pm »

Thanks for sharing that information! I hope I'll remember that thread if I once again try to deal with MCs Logs.

I often tried to do some self diagnosis, but never with great success. Only once I found podcasts causing my trouble. Logs are for the Pros :)

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 10:37:14 am »

I tend to reset the log all the time so the size stays small. Does this delete the previous log?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:49 am »

I tend to reset the log all the time so the size stays small. Does this delete the previous log?
It deletes all prior logging, but the "previous log" file will still be created from when the last log was cleared until JRiver crashed.

JRiver is still hanging on Import. From another log:
19075912: 6432: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Stopping current auto-import processing

mojave

• MC Beta Team
Hangs
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:43:57 pm »

I think I finally figured out what was happening in from my What to look for in the log file thread. JRiver kept hanging on import. I finally visited my friend's house in December and spent some time trying to figure out the hang. He had updated to MC20 and hadn't changed anything on MC19. I think somehow MC19 was still running auto import and it was causing MC20 to hang. I uninstalled MC19 and it hasn't hung since.

There are several things that need to be turned off/changed when a new version is installed. Even though I always choose file associations when installing a new version of MC, I still need to manually change the associations in Windows every time. Auto import and media server should also be turned off. I think there are a couple of other things that would make upgrading smoother, but I can't think of them right now.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up