INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface (Solved)  (Read 42787 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface (Solved)
« on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

Now that Netflix has killed their API that allowed us to watch Netflix in Theater View many of us will be looking for alternative methods.

A few months ago we joined the growing ranks of 'Cord Cutters' and shut down our Cable TV. Since we mostly watched movies Netflix became a wonderful and inexpensive option. Contrary to some here we found using Netflix in Theater View a very workable approach.

So I would like to start a discussion of some different ways that we can watch Netflix on the big screen. The simplest of course is to open it and do movie selection using a browser on our small screen, then drag the movie across to the big screen. This is a very cumbersome way to do it!

I am considering getting a Roku or FireTV. They have very nice interfaces for big screens and offer access to much more than just Neflix of course. We must have our audio go through MC so I would need to figure a way to input audio to MC with a hardware interface.

Perhaps there are other methods I am not aware of so it will be interesting to hear others opinions - Besides being angry at Neflix!

Cheers,
Rod

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »

Here's what we're doing in my house, but a warning: it requires a mouse to work. 

I just replaced the netflix option in theater view with a menu item that launches an external program.  It's set to launch c:/program files/Internet Explorer/iexplorer.exe" with the commandline option "www.netflix.com."  This launches an external browser that hides theater view and goes straight into netflix (you have to tell it to remember your credentials).  You have to use a mouse to select a movie, but otherwise it's pretty seamless (especiallyif you turn up your windows DPI a bit). We have a little wireless keyboard and mouse we keep by the couch, so it's not too inconvenient.     When you're done and you close the browser theater view snaps back into focus and you can resume using the remote. 

I prefer to launch it in the external browser as MC's internal browser doesn't always work perfectly with the WDM driver in theater view, and the internal browser doesn't always do a good job of remembering my credentials for some reason. 

In any event, that's what we're doing at my house. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has a better solution.  Windows 8.1 users could try launching the netflix app instead, but my experience with it is that it doesn't have remote support either (although the UI is larger, and it offers better pciture/sound options than the website in some circumstances).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 02:48:14 pm »

I'd like to see the Netflix experience stay within MC too. Maybe the developers can create a seamless experience using the Netflix app.
In the mean time I got the Amazon FireTV box. My new Harmony Ultimate controller works with both JRiver and FireTV so it's as convenient as it gets. The picture is good and the interface is nice, and a mouse or keyboard is not needed.

NOTE: the FireTV only works with a bluetooth capable remote so most universal remotes won't work. It messes up the WAF when you need to swap remotes to watch/do different things. So if the Roku works with your current remote you may want to keep the choice at the top - or plan to upgrade to a Harmony "smart hub" remote

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:46 pm »

Ive mentioned this numerous times.. something needs to be implemented into jriver rental wise, subscription based that works.

youtube subscriptions was added, but now doesnt work, and when it did, it wasnt possible to view a subscription channel, to view all there vids.

Netflix we'd love to sign up for but no way to get it into theaterview... it's useless. one would think jriver and other media companies would have some pull to email these rental companies and say do you guys even realize the amount of customers you are missing?

Our Family would love a solution to both of these.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:06:28 pm »

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Mwillems: Thanks very much for the idea to have the Netflix Menu item open Netflix in a Browser. I have it working fine in Google Chrome but for some reason it would not work with IE. When selecting Netflix the screen would just flash and return to MC Theater View. It did this on two different Win7/32 boxes. Anyway not a problem as I prefer Chrome to IE anyway. This is certainly a much cleaner method than dragging the browser from the small screen to the big screen.

The downside of using a browser in Theater View is that I either need binoculars or much better glasses. It works fine if you know what movie you want to open, but for reading info about the movies the print is just way too small.

I also truly would like to keep everything within MC but I have a feeling that the cost for JRiver to do this would be prohibitive.

So until that wonderful day comes I think I will need to do something like CountryBumkin has done and that is to purchase a FireTV, or perhaps a Roku. They both have excellent 10 foot interfaces and also allow access to other portals. The FireTV is appealing because it is apparently a very fast system and has an optical analog output that I would like to feed into MC if possible. That is necessary because I need the MC DSP. I will soon have a Steinberg UR824 DAC which has an optical analog input. Mwillems - You have the same DAC - do you know if it can take an analog input and send it to MC while at the same time sending it's analog outputs from MC to my power amps?

xtacbyme: I certainly share your frustrations.

Will be interesting to hear from others as to possibly more approaches to this dilemma.

Thanks,
Rod

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »

Upstairs, I use one of: XBox One, PS3, XBox 360.
Downstairs, I use an AppleTV.

Pretty much any device that has an updated Netflix app works fine.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:58 am »

Is it even possible for create 3'rd party plugins to access Netflix anymore? Or is it only the big ones that have access to Netflix's api?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:56:19 am »

Is it even possible for create 3'rd party plugins to access Netflix anymore? Or is it only the big ones that have access to Netflix's api?

Only the "Chosen" ones...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:08 am »

So until that wonderful day comes I think I will need to do something like CountryBumkin has done and that is to purchase a FireTV, or perhaps a Roku. They both have excellent 10 foot interfaces and also allow access to other portals. The FireTV is appealing because it is apparently a very fast system and has an optical analog output that I would like to feed into MC if possible. That is necessary because I need the MC DSP. I will soon have a Steinberg UR824 DAC which has an optical analog input. Mwillems - You have the same DAC - do you know if it can take an analog input and send it to MC while at the same time sending it's analog outputs from MC to my power amps?

The hardware can do it just fine, but you'll need some software in the middle to route the input into JRiver (JRiver's record function is deceased, and I know of no way to just grab a random input directly into JRiver, although you might be able to work something out with ASIO line in).  Some folks use the ASIO bridge software that mojave recommends, and that may be the best solution.  That said, if you're just looking for a proof of concept, with the WDM driver you really only need software capable of playing an input stream, which will get sent to the WDM driver, etc.  You could open up audacity and use it to play the input stream, etc.  But you probably want something more seamless over the long term, and I don't have much experience with this as I found routing non-PC inputs into JRiver to be fiddly enough that I just gave up on doing it except for the occasional needledrop.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:36:04 am »

The hardware can do it just fine, but you'll need some software in the middle to route the input into JRiver (JRiver's record function is deceased, and I know of no way to just grab a random input directly into JRiver, although you might be able to work something out with ASIO line in).  Some folks use the ASIO bridge software that mojave recommends, and that may be the best solution.  That said, if you're just looking for a proof of concept, with the WDM driver you really only need software capable of playing an input stream, which will get sent to the WDM driver, etc.  You could open up audacity and use it to play the input stream, etc.  But you probably want something more seamless over the long term, and I don't have much experience with this as I found routing non-PC inputs into JRiver to be fiddly enough that I just gave up on doing it except for the occasional needledrop.

Thanks very much for your explanation. It doesn't sound real promising unfortunately. I'm glad to know that the Steinberg is at least capable of what I need. So when it arrives I'll do some playing around. And yes we do need something seamless and not fiddly. Good WAF is very important here!

Cheers,
Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 08:49:51 am »

I will soon have a Steinberg UR824 DAC which has an optical analog input. Mwillems - You have the same DAC - do you know if it can take an analog input and send it to MC while at the same time sending it's analog outputs from MC to my power amps?
The ASIO driver on the UR824 is not multi-client (even though Steinberg developed ASIO). This means one program can't be using the inputs while another uses the outputs. I think WASAPI is the same way. It may work with the DirectSound input/output.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:58:58 am »

The ASIO driver on the UR824 is not multi-client (even though Steinberg developed ASIO). This means one program can't be using the inputs while another uses the outputs. I think WASAPI is the same way. It may work with the DirectSound input/output.

Thanks for that info, although it is a little discouraging. Looks like I will have lots of experimenting to do once it arrives. Will certainly see if I can do anything using Direct Sound.

Cheers,
Rod

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 09:11:02 am »

I'm pretty sure I've managed to get separate programs using inputs and outputs with WASAPI in non-exclusive mode in the past (doing some RTA), but, Rod, you can test for yourself once it arrives.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:31:32 am »

I'm pretty sure I've managed to get separate programs using inputs and outputs with WASAPI in non-exclusive mode in the past (doing some RTA), but, Rod, you can test for yourself once it arrives.

Thanks, will do for sure!

Cheers,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:34:41 am »

Please take a look here, too:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93442.msg644308#msg644308

Thanks Jim. I had just seen that thread, but not really sure what Matt would like done. Anyway I will post there and see if there is some way I might help.

BTW is anyone else having trouble getting Preview to work when posting? For me now it just gets stuck in 'Fetching Preview'.

Cheers,
Rod

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:14 am »

BTW is anyone else having trouble getting Preview to work when posting? For me now it just gets stuck in 'Fetching Preview'.
Yes, this has been going on for over a week for me on 6 pc's tested with latest firefox... at first i thought it was just attachments, but then ran tests for just text, and it just sticks at fetching as well.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 10:08:15 am »

I created a link in theater view to launch the WMC version of Netflix using an application known as QuickWMC.  That way, I still have remote access, and when I back out of Netflix, it goes right back to JRiver.  It is very seamless for me.  I use EventGhost to determine which application (JRiver, or WMC/Netflix) that the remote commands should go to.

mm0

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 10:13:48 am »

I created a link in theater view to launch the WMC version of Netflix using an application known as QuickWMC.  That way, I still have remote access, and when I back out of Netflix, it goes right back to JRiver.  It is very seamless for me.  I use EventGhost to determine which application (JRiver, or WMC/Netflix) that the remote commands should go to.

mm0

Sounds interesting. So WMC is still able to use the Netflix API then. Does WMC have a decent 10 foot interface for Netflix? If so this might be a nice solution.

Re the remote I use a Harmony One and might not need a program like Event Ghost to direct commands.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:46 am »

Yes, this has been going on for over a week for me on 6 pc's tested with latest firefox... at first i thought it was just attachments, but then ran tests for just text, and it just sticks at fetching as well.

Did you try another browser?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

Did you try another browser?

Ok, trying it in Chrome now. Works fine here, but did not in fireFox.

Now trying in IE. Works fine here too.

Cheers,
Rod

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:28 am »

Sounds interesting. So WMC is still able to use the Netflix API then. Does WMC have a decent 10 foot interface for Netflix? If so this might be a nice solution.

Re the remote I use a Harmony One and might not need a program like Event Ghost to direct commands.

Thanks,
Rod
Yeah, WMC has a nice netflix interface...been using it for over a year now this way.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:31 am »

Ok, trying it in Chrome now. Works fine here, but did not in fireFox.

Now trying in IE. Works fine here too.
same here

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

I created a link in theater view to launch the WMC version of Netflix using an application known as QuickWMC.  That way, I still have remote access, and when I back out of Netflix, it goes right back to JRiver.  It is very seamless for me.  I use EventGhost to determine which application (JRiver, or WMC/Netflix) that the remote commands should go to.

mm0

Thanks very much for your explaining how you use Netflix in Windows Media Center. After some putzing around to get Neflix installed in my Win7/32 HTPC WMC here's what I did to get QuickWMC working.

1. Downloaded QuickWMC from https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=97357342DE886853&id=97357342DE886853!143  
2. Unzipped it to a new folder in Program Files.
3. In the new QuickWMC folder opened addininstall.exe  This installs the add in to WMC.
4. To test that it works okay I opened Start Netflix.
5. In JRiver MC Settings: Tools/Options/Theater View/Netflix I changed the Program to the location of QuickWMC which on my computer is    C:\Program Files\QuickWMC\QuickWMC\QuickWMC.exe
6. In the same setting box in Command Line Argument I put  Netflix.

In Theater View when Netflix is clicked, after a pause you will briefly see WMC blue Screen and then Netflix.

I sure hate to suggest on this forum that anyone use any part of WMC. But since Netflix killed the API that JRiver was using this is the only way I could find, short of buying additional hardware such as a Roku or FireTV, to get a good Netflix 10 foot interface inside JRiver Media Center. And it really is a very good interface: my wife is quite pleased with it, and WAF is very important in this household.  :)

The only thing remaining is to set my remote up to close the Netflix window. At this point a mouse is necessary to do that.

Hopefully JRiver will be able to work out some decent kind of Netflix interface for Theater View. In the meantime this is a very workable solution for us.

Cheers,
Rod

On Edit Jan 19, 2015  The original link I found for quickwmc is no long working. I have uploaded the file to my Dropbox:    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73565941/QuickWMC.zip

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 04:20:58 pm »

Thanks very much for your explaining how you use Netflix in Windows Media Center. After some putzing around to get Neflix installed in my Win7/32 HTPC WMC here's what I did to get QuickWMC working.

The only thing remaining is to set my remote up to close the Netflix window. At this point a mouse is necessary to do that.

Hopefully JRiver will be able to work out some decent kind of Netflix interface for Theater View. In the meantime this is a very workable solution for us.

Cheers,
Rod

you should be able to press the back button one more time on your remote, and it should close automatically and bring you back to JRiver...if it's not doing that, then something isn't set up quite right.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 04:26:03 pm »

you should be able to press the back button one more time on your remote, and it should close automatically and bring you back to JRiver...if it's not doing that, then something isn't set up quite right.

Our Harmony One remote doesn't have a hardware Back button but it does have one on the screen. Pressed it and it closed out WMC. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Rod

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface (Solved)
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 04:31:27 pm »

anytime!  Glad I could help.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 04:33:53 pm »

I use EventGhost to determine which application (JRiver, or WMC/Netflix) that the remote commands should go to.

mm0

I'm wondering why you need Event Ghost? It's all working fine with our Harmony One remote as well as with a basic MCE Remote.

Cheers,
Rod

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:29 pm »

I have a Tivo Slide remote, but it doesn't do all the commands that I want it to do, so I use event Ghost to map certain keys to do certain things.  IE: When I press the 'Tivo' button, it launches MC into theater view instead of WMC.  I also have certain other buttons mapped to do mouse clicks, etc...lots of things I guess...

mm0

HTPC4ME

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »

i guess im not understanding if it works in wmc, why can't it work in jriver...the almighty dollar?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »

I have a Tivo Slide remote, but it doesn't do all the commands that I want it to do, so I use event Ghost to map certain keys to do certain things.  IE: When I press the 'Tivo' button, it launches MC into theater view instead of WMC.  I also have certain other buttons mapped to do mouse clicks, etc...lots of things I guess...

mm0

Ok that all makes sense. I just wanted other people to know that it isn't necessary to just use JRiver and Netflix within JRiver. Or maybe it is. I never shut down JRiver on our HTPC. When we hit Off it turns off the TV and audio gear but has no affect on the HTPC. So when we turn it on again it is right there in JRiver, or Netflix wherever we left it.

Cheers,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 04:51:24 pm »

i guess im not understanding if it works in wmc, why can't it work in jriver...the almighty dollar?

Maybe Bill has a little more persuasion than Jim does. (Sorry Jim!)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 11:03:57 am »

Microsoft... vs. JRiver... in terms of financial power, is like Goliath vs. David!

Maybe JRiver should start their own streaming service, coz we know it would be better than anything else.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »

Since upgrading to 20 (almost 2 weeks now) ive asked numerous times in new build threads, and other misc threads, where youtube subscriptions have gone? and if we could please have a way in theaterview to see all subscriptions, and there channels. (goto to something we subscribe to and see all the videos they have uploaded.)

And ive not received a reply at all... Is this feature broke too? will it come back? is what im asking feasible? how soon can we expect it?

Personally I'd prefer youtube over netflix or any other subscription based service.

1. it's free
2. one can subscribe to whatever there heart desires, with unlimited sources of material available (not just 99% mainstream media)
3. one can now (recently google sent out an email) create video, and music playlists, and create folders and subcategories for subscriptions and channels. how great would it be to be in theaterview and have a live updated subscription list, where one could goto subscriptions click on documentaries, and all documentary channels that one subscribes to would show up, allowing us to chose 1, and then being able to see and watch all videos uploaded from that channel.

I have scoured your forums numerous times to see if you guys have already answered these questions, perhaps thats why you are not answering mine (redundency) But all i've found is others asking similar question.

Could i please get a response? (this is being looked into, we don't care, it's not possible, we're stuck at the moment, there's not enough interest, we're waiting to hear back from google on code issue, we prefer to add features for corporate companies/those who buy 10,000 licenses, anything... a reply would be stellar.)

Thank You.

Edit: can we the users offer you donations to achieve this task? What would that amount need to be?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 02:40:21 am »

Hi nwboater, thanks for the Guide!  After some stuffing around getting stuff to install (as it was Geo Block for us Oz users) it is up and going and working OK.  One thing that does not work is the "Stop" button on my RC does nothing.  Is this normal?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

stewart_pk

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 06:13:35 am »

I use the Windows 8.1 Netflix application and it's quite good.
Has improved sound for many videos too over the web browser version with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, see here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/1zjx9h/does_anybody_else_find_that_the_sound_on_netflix/

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 08:04:09 am »

Hi nwboater, thanks for the Guide!  After some stuffing around getting stuff to install (as it was Geo Block for us Oz users) it is up and going and working OK.  One thing that does not work is the "Stop" button on my RC does nothing.  Is this normal?
Thanks
Nathan

Correct, the Stop button does not work. What we do is hit Pause if the movie is still running and then back. A second hit of back will take you back to MC. It is a bit klugey but has been working well for us. We also really like the interface.

Another thing we use with Netflix is Instantwatcher.com. It is a great search tool for Netflix although its interface could sure use some help!

Cheers,
Rod

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 05:23:58 pm »

another reason why I use Event Ghost...I detect WMC, then send the keyboard shortcut for stop instead of the WMC remote command.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 07:51:13 pm »

Thanks guys (Rod that is what we currently do).  I'll also need to check out Instantwatcher.com as searching does not work at all for me (I get some msg saying it is not working at this time).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 09:12:16 pm »

another reason why I use Event Ghost...I detect WMC, then send the keyboard shortcut for stop instead of the WMC remote command.

Good Idea - and while I don't know Event Ghost, here is an AutoHotKey script that does the same thing. 

Code: [Select]
; --------------------------------------------------------
; The following script will detect if a QuickWMC is running and Issue a KB "Stop" when a MCE "Stop" is sent from a RC
; --------------------------------------------------------

#NoTrayIcon
#Persistent
#SingleInstance, Force
#IfWinExist Windows Media Center
    Media_Stop::  ; This is the STOP button (Media_Stop) - you can change to suit your requirments
    Send ^+S ; This is the Keyboard shortcut for WMC STOP - you can change to suit your requirments
Return

Attached is a compilied version you can just put it in your Windows Startup Folder
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:20 am »

Hi jmone - Thanks very much for your script. Will try it out later.

Re searching in Netflix. I recall when we could use Netflix in Theater View within MC that the Search function was inoperative. But I thought my wife said that since I got this Netflix/WMC/MC kluge going that she was able to search from the couch. Need to check on that.

We have a small screen next to our HTPC for various non Theater View PC activities. That is what we use InstantWatcher on and had previously loaded our MC Que on. Also I forgot to mention that InstantWatcher will load your selections directly into the Netflix que if you want.

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »

Thanks - saw that with InstantWatcher. 

Also do you know if there are other plugings like Hulu?
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »

Thanks - saw that with InstantWatcher. 

Also do you know if there are other plugings like Hulu?

Sorry, I don't

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 03:39:56 pm »

Apparently the link I posted for quickwmc is no longer functional. I just uploaded the file to my Dropbox.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73565941/QuickWMC.zip

Cheers,
Rod

Ekpen

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

Apparently the link I posted for quickwmc is no longer functional. I just uploaded the file to my Dropbox.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73565941/QuickWMC.zip

Cheers,
Rod

Thanks my dear friend.

George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 04:46:58 am »

Here is a mod based on Rod's instructions (and tested by myself and rpalmer68) for those not in the US (as WMC will try to GEO block the install of the Netflix add in).  Note: you will still need a VPN or DNS Spoofer to get Netflix to accept your account.  You also need Windows Media Centre installed (I had to Buy in on Win 8.1 separately).

1. Downloaded QuickWMC from https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=97357342DE886853&id=97357342DE886853!143  
2. Unzipped it to a new folder in Program Files.
3. In the new QuickWMC folder opened addininstall.exe  This installs the add in to WMC.
3a: Manually install the Netflix addon from Microsoft
3b: You now need to "Fix" this install using MCE-Reset-Toolbox  Install this program (free 30 Day Trial) and when running it go to Start Menu --> Fix Netflix Button.  You can then uninstall this prog if you want.

4. To test that it works okay I opened Start Netflix.
5. In JRiver MC Settings: Tools/Options/Theater View/Netflix I changed the Program to the location of QuickWMC which on my computer is    C:\Program Files\QuickWMC\QuickWMC\QuickWMC.exe
6. In the same setting box in Command Line Argument I put  Netflix.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 04:27:45 am »

Here is a mod based on Rod's instructions (and tested by myself and rpalmer68) for those not in the US (as WMC will try to GEO block the install of the Netflix add in).  Note: you will still need a VPN or DNS Spoofer to get Netflix to accept your account.  You also need Windows Media Centre installed (I had to Buy in on Win 8.1 separately).

Thanks mate that's perfect!  It works a treat!!

Hilton

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 04:36:35 am »

Fix for Netflix Search in MCE. read the 2nd post down listed as Answer and download the fix, unzip it and install.

I Installed in windows 8.1 pro 64bit and it works perfect.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/netflix-search-not-working-in-windows-media-center/80d9a5be-21f3-4d56-9089-89faf560ab30

Hilton

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 07:16:31 am »

I was playing around tonight and have installed some of the milliesoft MCE plugins from http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/index.php/mce-software-1228996485

Songler works for Spotify and Youtube in a 10 foot interface in MCE however you still need a mouse for youtube to go full screen and there's a few concessions you have to make with Songler but it works ok.

I've worked out how to launch WMC from MC20 with the commandline switches directly into different WMC addins.

Use the following shortcut in theatre view with launch external programs to launch MCE

C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
And this as the argument to launch directly in songler
/nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{589ee65f-982d-49ac-8103-6e4f361c910c}\{4cc258d6-2308-4eca-a6f5-2ff736303869}
This is a starting point for adding other streaming services to MCE as a direct launch from MC20.  Still need to work out how to exit back to MC20 instead of the WMC menu.
If I can workout how the oneapplauncher extra which is installed with the QuickWMC addin works, I can use that to launch the apps and then exit directly back to MC20.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:36 am »

I have the source code for QuickWMC if it would help.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up