INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUE File Fix in Build 44  (Read 4165 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
CUE File Fix in Build 44
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:21:00 am »

If you've had problems, please try build 44 or above:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93840.0

Back up your library first from File/Library.  Read the thread before installing.

Please use this thread for any problems or feedback.

Apologies to anyone who experienced the problem.

Thanks. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: CUE File Fix in Build 44
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:16 am »

On a technical note, for those that might be curious what is going to happen -

First off, there was a simple bug that caused some duplicates to always be re-imported no matter what you did. This was fixed.

Secondly, the typical use-case of every track in its own file with one CUE on top was changed back to not use the ";1" notation, including some migration code to automatically try to clean up your database.
The migration is pretty simply, and it'll run when you run a import on the CUE sheets. When it imports a file referenced in the CUE sheet, it'll look for both the "old" entry without the ";1", and the new entry with it. If both are found, the "old" one is going to be preserved and the new one is going to be moved to the "Removed" database, otherwise whichever entry is found will simply be used.

The hope is that preferring the old-syntax entry is going to yield the highest success on preserving the carefully crafted databases you guys build, since the "new" entry only existed for a couple weeks now.
If you upgrade straight from MC19, or a MC20 build before the recent CUE changes (20.0.30 or older), the migration will have no effect on your data at all, and everything should be fine!

The other use-cases for CUE files, mostly one large audio file which the CUE splits into several tracks, should not be influenced by these changes.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

The hope is that preferring the old-syntax entry is going to yield the highest success on preserving the carefully crafted databases you guys build...

The other use-cases for CUE files, mostly one large audio file which the CUE splits into several tracks, should not be influenced by these changes.
But... "one large audio file which the CUE splits into several tracks" IS where we have our carefully crafted databases, NOT individual FLAC files with a CUE file.

Why?

Because when there are individual FLAC files, you can do an MC "update tags from library" command and then then the changes are saved forever in the FLAC files themselves.

With "one large audio file which the CUE splits into several tracks" the information can only be in MC's database, so any manually typed changes are lost if those are re-imported.

That is why "Changed: Importing CUE files will automatically migrate library entries to the new format." needs to be done for "one large audio file which the CUE splits into several tracks".

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »

The case you mentioned was always in this particular format, it never changed. Only the other cases changed and caused duplicates to appear.
At least thats what my tests on a few data sets indicate.

Please actually test if it works, speculation doesn't help us =)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheColdOne

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:25:10 pm »

Thanks for the work Hendrik, it is greatly appreciated! I'll test it out tonight on my laptop installation and let you know how it all goes.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »

Thanks for the work Hendrik, it is greatly appreciated! I'll test it out tonight on my laptop installation and let you know how it all goes.

+1

Really appreciated.  ;)
I just made the first test with 20.0.44; I still get few duplicate for single Flac+CUE albums, but I can manage this.
(Before downgrading to 20.0.27 I got 3-4 hundreds of duplicate albums...)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:56 pm »

Apologies to anyone who experienced the problem.

Glad a final fix is coming...

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »

I want to be sure I'm clear on what's supposed to happen with CUE files.  

- I had turned off CUE files to import when this became an issue in .31.
 - I created a smartlist like this: [=IsEqual(Right(RemoveCharacters([Filename,0], 0123456789, 2), 1), ;)]=1 and when anything showed up, I just removed manually it from my library.  This means on my smartlist for Removed Tracks, there are a bunch of ;1, ;2, etc in there.
 - I removed all previous CUE files that were in the Playlist >  Smartlists > Imported Playlists section.

I just installed .44, so I turned cue files back on for import and ran auto-import.  It found a new cue file and imported it that I had made.  It now shows in the Imported Playlist view.  But there's nothing in the playlist.  I assume there should be?

There's nothing duplicated that I see that was in that cue file, so that's good.  And nothing is showing up my smartlist to find the ;1, ;2 things.

When I use WebGizmo though, it's playing every track twice.  Even though in MC20.exe, I do not see those items anymore...

EDIT: Also, how do I get those cue file playlists that I deleted back?  They don't show in the deleted smart list...

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:33:31 am »

Since I wasn't around when this was fixed:
Are "FLAC+CUE" files supposed to only import the tracks from the CUE and not the "master" FLAC file itself?

Because it seems that FLAC+CUE only imports the tracks listed in the CUE file on their first import, but the next time auto-import runs, that hour-long FLAC is imported separately.

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »

Looks like your fix didn't last long. The last working build was .48 for me. Starting from .57 it's broken again as i report in appropriate currently closed thread. Didn't try .50 to .56 so can't comment on them

kstuart

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »

Looks like your fix didn't last long. The last working build was .48 for me. Starting from .57 it's broken again as i report in appropriate currently closed thread. Didn't try .50 to .56 so can't comment on them

It happened in:

20.0.50 (12/17/2014)

10. Fixed: Importing CUE files would not reliably import the first track.

(Whoever did the fix, either accidentally reverted an earlier fix, or they modified an earlier version of the source code, OR the code they added has the same false logic/algorithm as the original CUE code.)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:05 am »

CUE files still work absolutely perfectly for me. I just tested and confirmed. Started with an empty library, imported a CUE/APE (single file) combination, got the 11 tracks all with proper titles, artists and duration, no extra unneeded entry for the "long" file, no duplicates, no nothing.
A second run of auto-import also didn't import anything extra this time around.

Unfortunately, due to the bugs in the CUE handling in earlier versions, not every case can be fixed automatically, sometimes it may be required to remove the files from the database and re-import them again. However, these cases should be rare, and most people reported that the automatic fix worked just fine for them.

Please be more specific than "its broken again", that doesn't help me at all I'm afraid.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kstuart

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 11:20:16 am »

Since I wasn't around when this was fixed:
Are "FLAC+CUE" files supposed to only import the tracks from the CUE and not the "master" FLAC file itself?

Because it seems that FLAC+CUE only imports the tracks listed in the CUE file on their first import, but the next time auto-import runs, that hour-long FLAC is imported separately.

Probably you will need to provide Hendrik with the files that produced that result.

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »

As I discovered with build .57 and up the problem is that if you open built in explorer and select a folder in the tree view which contains either image of the album plus CUE file ad LOG file or multiple individual files (tracks) plus CUE and Log shown in the right side window. You double click CUE or just click PLAY button if you have separate tracks instead of image the window in the right will change to PLAYER and you will see list of tracks in proper order first than LOG file will be shown and then all the tracks will be shown second time. the play back will start from the first track as expected but after last track will be finished playing the content of log file will be shown in Notepad window. Never saw anything like this before

pluto7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 06:01:58 am »

ok, finally brought up the energy to update MC from 20030 to 20073. my audio files had about 200 cd's with different problems, that is not bad,finally I have been able to find a sollution to all of problems that have occured. I removed all of the cue files present in the maps concerned. took me about 4 hours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up