INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about using JTV recording format - why use it?  (Read 3593 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Question about using JTV recording format - why use it?
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:37:42 am »

I just tried out the JTV format last night for recording one of my subscription OTA shows, and I am wondering if it is working correctly.

I checked the recording made last night (of "The Big Band Theory") done in JTV and it consisted of a folder with 99 files in it (cnk files I believe). There was a single JTV file that was around 2KB. Is this the correct output (multiple files) or should it end up as a single JTV file?

Also, I tried to move the folder/files from my "recording drive" to "The Big Bang Theory" folder where I store this series, but JRiver popup message said I can't move multiple files with the Library Tools>Move, Rename, Copy, .. feature that I always used in the past for moving TS recordings.

So what is the benefit of this format?

I prefer the cleaner "one file" per recording method - it seems awfully messy to store a bunch of small files in their own folders inside of a Series folder, rather than single files a single Series folder.  Am I missing out on a benefit of JTV by staying with TS?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

Re: Question about using JTV recording format - why use it?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:34:07 am »

This is from the link you provide (for anyone else that might be interested).
Quote from: Yaobing on October 27, 2014, 11:31:50 am

JTV is not better for time-shifting, it is the time-shifting.  It is just a saved segment of a time-shifting session.  Back in the good days of analog TV, we used to use AVI for TV recording.  At the time, when we start recording, we had to stop time-shifting and rebuild a DirectShow graph for recording alone.  The trouble was the user then could not be watching it at the same time.  We could, if we tried, to do it as we do for TS recording now, simultaneously record to AVI and still be time-shifting, but we decided that it is not necessary at all.  All we needed to do is to save the time-shifting buffer.  For that purpose I created the "jtv" which is just a stub file that contains info about the particular time-shifting buffer and how it should be played.  When digital TV was started, I added the ability to record in ts format.  Its portability is the big reason.

We want the users to be able to watch and time-shift anytime, including when they are recording.  So time-shifting is always run during recording, regardless which recording format you choose.

The advantages of using JTV format are:
1. Being able to start recording at an already-past time.  What this means is, if you are watching a show live, half way into the program you decide you want to record it (like, this is a nice show, I should record it so my wife can watch it when she comes home, or, curse that emergency call, I have to go now, I will record this and watch it later), with the press of the Record button on your remote control, the entire show will be recorded (provided that your time-shifting window is large enough so the first half of the show is still in the buffer in its entirety).  With TS format, recording starts at the moment you choose to record, and any portion that is in the past would not be recorded.

2. JTV recording will cause less disk activity on your computer because when recording in TS, your time-shifting is still going on, in addition to MC writing data to the TS file.

3. TS format is not available for all devices (not for some analog devices).  But this should not be such a big deal, as we automatically fall back to JTV when TS is not possible.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:40:02 am »

This is another good thread on the subject going back to 2011: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68402.0

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:52:52 am »

JTV is not a single file.  It is a collection of files (normally the entire folder).  The folder some times contain more than one recording.  That is why it is difficult to move a jtv recording. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up