INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing to Oppo BDP 103  (Read 7560 times)

bclark

• Recent member
Problem playing to Oppo BDP 103
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »

I need help.  I got an OPPO bdp103 for Christmas.  I have a large collection of flac files on an external hard drive.  I tried this JRiver program and have been able to listen on my computer and can listen on my android phone to all the songs.  Really cool.  I just can't figure out how to play the songs thru my oppo and my home stereo system.  I grabbed an ethernet cable and plugged in the oppo.  I finally was able to see the files on the server but they look like old fashioned folders on my tv.  I want to be able to open the gizmo on my phone with the nice artwork and play it thru my stereo system.  I know I have to be missing something but I have spent hours on this.  I am ready to just delete the library and plug the hard drive into the back of the oppo.  I did try this and it sucks. You can play the songs but they are the same old looking file things with no art and very slow searching- plus I have to have my tv on to see any of it.  Please help if possible.  I tried to find a new guy thread but just couldnt see it.  Thank you for any help.  In reading the site I also thought jriver would allow me to play the songs in my library on my phone when i was not at home but it doesnt seem to work either.  Is this wrong also?  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem playing to Oppo BDP 103
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »

Make sure you have Media Network set up correctly.  Turn everything on.

A firewall could also block access.

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

Im not sure what "right" is.  I have everything on as far as I can tell except the library share part which requires a user name and password.  Where do I set that up? It doesnt even seem to see the oppo.  It says in the oppo manual that it can act as a server and a renderer.  I just want to be able to play music thru it and my stereo without turning on the tv.  I love your app for android -my son likes being able to listen to all the songs on his phone.  Is there a simple list of how to achieve this?

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 04:34:47 pm »

Plus jriver has never recognized the oppo in any form.  under playing now the only thing I see is "player" with a grey arrow and "playing from main library" with a green box containing what looks like a house.  I have the oppo networked in and it plays you tube etc on the tv so I know its connected (via ethernet cable). The wiki said to turn on the unit and that jriver would recognize it as a usable device within a few minutes.  this has never happened.  I have the gizmo app on my phone and it asks where to play it here or the server.  both just play music thru my phone.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:16:54 pm »

I am not an expert and do not own an Oppo 103, but thought I add a few things I do know. I think you are running into network/firewall/routing issues.

First, I would get the PC and the Oppo working together, then worry about Gizmo. Gizmo should be fine if you can get the PC and the Oppo to communicate.  You want to use JRiver as a DNLA server and the Oppo as a DNLA renderer. First make sure you have the DLNA options checked in Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced.  If those are checked, the Oppo should show up in Playing Now. If it does not, it may be blocked by your firewall or you router. You can turn off your firewall and see if that helps. If it does, then you are going to have to figure out how to get through the firewall. If not,  I am probably not much help, unfortunately. Hopefully, turning on the DLNA settings will be enough. I believe you have to have Media Center up and running on the PC. Just running the MC server itself may not be enough.

If your TV or your receiver are DLNA devices you can turn them on and see if you can see them in Playing Now in JRiver. I routinely use Gizmo to show the pictures on my JRiver PC through DLNA to my TV. If your receiver has DLNA, you might just bypass the Oppo and go directly to that. If either of those devices is a DLNA renderer and you do not see them in JRiver then the problem is broader than just the Oppo. Many new TVs and receivers are DLNA devices. If you can see one of those devices, you should be able to use Gizmo as you want to.

Unfortunately, if JRiver does not automatically see a DLNA device, it sometimes takes a bit to figure out the networking issue.

If your PC and Oppo are close to one another and your PC has HDMI out, you might also try connecting a HDMI cable between the PC and the Oppo and see if that shows up in Audio as an output device.

As to playing music to your phone outside the home, you need to set up port forwarding on you router so that when you connect to the router from outside you local network. You need to figure out the IP address that JRiver is using, go into your router/firewall and set port forwarding on the IP address to forward the link to the ip adress:52199. That setting is shown in the Media Network menu. Setting up port forward is different for each router. You need to log in as administrator and find the settings.  If you are going to do this regularly, you should probably set up your JRiver PC as a fixed IP address. Otherwise, if the router changes it on reboot you will not be able to connect. You can do that in the Windows Control panel under networking. It should be something like 192.168.1.xx where you set xx to something not being used, like 50.

Sorry I do not have a quick answer, but this should at least give you some things to try.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:31:01 am »

The Oppo 103 can play files in both pull mode and also in push mode.

In pull mode you use the Oppo's remote control to browse through the music folders and tracks, and select what you want to play. However, as the OP says, this browsing experience is a) very slow, and b) not a thing of great beauty.

So if you want a better browsing experience, then it is certainly much better to use MC or JRemote or Gizmo to push tracks to the Oppo.

The Oppo is able to render a pretty broad range of audio & video formats (obviously its strength is video). But one of its weaknesses is its lousy support for displaying audio track meta data and album art. It depends on what media format that you push at it, because the Oppo does not use metadata provided in the Upnp push command, but instead (wrongly) extracts metadata from file tags; so if the pushed format has tags at the start of the file it can often display them, whereas if the tags are at the end, or of an uncommon format, it cannot display them. This is certainly a weakness of the Oppo. They are aware of the problem but apparently do not intend to do anything about it..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 05:52:58 pm »

Thanks Andrew.  I have been able to get it to look back into the files on jriver and it works just as you have described.  I also took my external hard drive where the flac files are stored and plugged it directly into the back of the oppo via usb.  It will play them there but I am forced to turn on my tv.  I do have the Gizmo app and its awesome.  I would love to be able to turn on the oppo and my stereo system and play songs by searching them out on my phone.  Thats the problem Im having.  For whatever reason the JRiver doesn't see my oppo as a place I can play to.  I have "here" or "server" as my choices.  If I choose here I can listen on my phone- really cool.  If I choose server my desktop starts playing the song thru its speakers- seemed weird when it just started playing but I guess thats what I asked it to do.  All I want is to have one of the choices be the oppo so it will play just like my phone and desktop do.  I am sure that is a very small part of what this program will do- I will never be a power user.  I only want a way to push my flac files to my oppo without having to turn on the tv.  Thanks for any help offered.  bc

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:36 pm »

Did you check that the DLNA settings are on? Do you have any other DLNA renderer to check, like a TV or a receiver or a Roku box? Anything? Did you try disabling your firewall? That information would help.

Did you get your phone to access JRiver from outside the local network?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:28:08 am »

You are saying that the Oppo can see the MC server, but that the MC control point cannot see th Oppo, right? That sounds like a firewall issue on your PC.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 03:49:53 pm »

Well I finally got the system to recognize my oppo player and all was working well.  I was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase.  Now I can't get it to play anything because I keep getting a "something went wrong, file not found" message.  It tells me to check and make sure that the name of the file matches the name in the library.  I have changed nothing.  Not sure what is going on.  The drive where the files are stored is the same and is connected.  It shows under my computer.  Any advice for this one?

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »

also noticed something about audio file cant be read only.  i can see all the albums and songs but they all indicate file not found in the line at the bottom of the screen.  my wife recently looked as some photos from a disc and I noticed JRiver auto imported them.  I also directed ripped music to be stored on my external hard drive instead of the c-drive but it was playing fine even after I had done that.  now I dont see the option to direct where the files go anymore.  I just want to keep all my music on the external device not this older computer.  planning on an upgrade soon.  thanks again for the help. 

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 05:24:08 pm »

more- I think since she inserted a cd with pictures on it JRiver is trying to go to that drive to grab music from my library.  why would it do this?  all of my music is kept on an external hard drive J and the cd was drive E.  Im trying to sync the library with my hard drive but I am flying blind at this point.  It shows all the albums individual titles etc.  correct format in flac... but when you click on the song title it continues to say file not found.    :(

bclark

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »

now just noticed that every one of my flac files that are on the external hard drive (F) are all indexed to drive (J) which is the CD drive for my computer and is empty.  How do I get the system to keep grabbing the files from the place where they are stored.  Why would it change the names in the files that were never ever on the J drive.  It has to have occurred when she put the photo cd in there to view the files and jriver auto grabbed them  now it thinks everything is there- they are not.  Im on day 15 of the free trial.  was so happy I finally got it to work only to come back a few days later to this.  sorry rant over.  losing patience. 

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »

Select the albums you want to change, then Tools/Library Tools/Rename,Move, Copy, select Update Library to Point to New Location and go to the last option Find&Replace and change J: to F:.  The Preview display will show you what change it will make. Try a couple first as  a test.
Pages: [1]   Go Up