INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory leak?  (Read 6146 times)

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
Memory leak?
« on: January 08, 2015, 06:03:48 am »

I use a last version of MC20, but it still leak my memory. It takes from 20Mb  and continues to grow while music is playing. Last value was 650Mb. But my netbook has only 1Gb memory.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Memory leak
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:50 am »

Disable any other software or plug-ins you are using.  MC doesn't have any memory leaks.

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:12:03 am »

I do not use any other software and plugins (only adaptive volume and alignment volume in DSP studio).

task manager video: http://youtu.be/RRSnGt0zF40

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:19:29 am »

After 8min when I recorded this video, MC20 takes 423Mb memory (so 8min playing ~ +200Mb)
After 15min it takes 601Mb

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:26:39 am »

Did you enable playback from memory by any chance?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27:09 am »

No, I disable this option.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:03:23 am »

Try Direct Sound.  It could be a driver.

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Memory leak?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:55 am »

I can not. I`m using a Matrix mini-i as DAC and look like it supports only ASIO

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:09:34 am »

Could you test a second sound card?  I'm really suspicious of that ASIO driver.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:20:03 am »

ok, I selected Realtek HD Audio output [kernel streaming]. All the same. App takes 212Mb after 3mins and grows every minute

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:24:03 am »

This is really a mystery.  Do you have visualizations or DSP enabled?  Try disabling both.

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »

tried to disable DSP. all the same. visualization disabled.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »

Antivirus.

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 02:17:08 pm »

no one. this netbook use only for music

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:42:04 pm »

What happens if you load an empty library?

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »

Fixed. Workaround: disable folder auto-scan. Now it takes 55-80Mb.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:28 pm »

Fixed. Workaround: disable folder auto-scan. Now it takes 55-80Mb.

What was in the folder it was auto-scanning?  Something huge?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:25 am »

I want to add to this one now too.

I am using 20.0.52 and after just reading this thread - I suddenly notice a strange memory leak as well.

I started a James Taylor record about 22 minutes ago and after reading this - decided to take a look at Task Man to see what's going on with memory on MC.

I have Memory (Private Working Set) and Commit Size displayed and as MC has been playing this record - about every half second - another 4K mem page is being added to each pile.

It's is EXACTLY 4k - and MC is heading toward 120MB of usage in Private working set - slightly more in Commit (162 MB). But the mem count continues to increase consistently by 4 K as the album plays.

Now the album is over and memory is sitting still at 113MB (Private) and 154MB (Commit). No movement in the values with nothing playing.

But then when I fire up another album - mem shoots back up to 121 (Private) and 162 (Commit) and starts the 4K climb again.

Play from memory is off. No plugins or anything else in play here. This PC does not scan any sources automatically (like the poster above).

I do have ESET AV - but MC20 and all FLAC files (local or network) are set to ignore.

Any idea what's going on? Last time I looked into this - I remember MC using about 50MB-60MB but staying there constant during play.

I do not understand the need for 120-160 MB of RAM just to play an audio file.

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 08:32:58 am »

Does this only happen with FLAC files, or any audio files?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Vocalpoint

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:31 am »

Does this only happen with FLAC files, or any audio files?

I just ran a test with MP3 - and the same behavior is being observed. Very clear 4K pages piling up on Private Working Set and Commit every .5 seconds as a song plays.

The memory usage however is markedly different - as Private starts at 55MB and Commit is 123MB. Quite a bit lower than what I saw for FLAC.

As I am watching the memory rise - it's clear that something is going on.

I still do not understand the huge overhead requirements for either format tho.

VP

sstyle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 10:27:04 am »

What was in the folder it was auto-scanning?  Something huge?
no, there is only music in flac format. Some albums in DSD. This is a network folder.

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 01:44:54 pm »

I would like to note I'm running build 9901 of Windows 10 and almost everything seems to be sucking up memory the longer the system runs. J River, however, is not. I'm also running ESET SS so I doubt the problems are antivirus based.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »

I'm also running ESET SS so I doubt the problems are antivirus based.

Unless you take 20 minutes or so to 100% ensure that ESET has absolutely no way of accessing MC20.exe or even knowing about any of the filetypes that it "could" access - the mods here will continue to remain skeptical about it.

I run ESET here and have made certain that it cannot interfere with MC in any way. My memory usage continues to climb in 4K chunks unabated when MC is playing anything.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »

I run ESET here and have made certain that it cannot interfere with MC in any way. My memory usage continues to climb in 4K chunks unabated when MC is playing anything.
We've seen many cases in the past where antivirus programs weren't doing what they said they were.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 03:13:02 pm »

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on MC's process lately, and have not seen any leaking at all.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen with other configurations, but...

Here's the base problem with Anti-Virus: Those products inject themselves into the memory space of other applications and mess with code and OS APIs while it is running (directly in RAM).  It is like the bad-old-days of MacOS (pre-OSX) extensions, where some other guy's code comes into your code and messes with things while your code is executing.  That's exactly what anti-virus does on Windows.  It was unsupportable on MacOSX back then, and it is unsupportable now.

How the hell are you supposed to debug someone else's code when you don't even have it, and have zero visibility into what it might (or might not) be doing?  You cannot.  There is no way to "fix it".

The way the AV guys fix things that break is by building in special exemptions for specific, popular applications that they test (or where their users report issues).  Of course, JRiver isn't Microsoft or Adobe, so they have an impossible task trying to get ESET to make these exceptions for MC.  Heck, they don't even do it for products like vmware workstation (which requires all sorts of exceptions with most AV software to work).  If they won't do it for "big iron" vmware used by basically every single Fortune 500 company on the planet, they ain't going to listen to little piddly JRiver for sure.

That's the core of it.  When you run AV, the AV vendor's code is intentionally screwing with your system, and with all processes running on it.  That's their "job".  It messes things up and breaks things widely.  Not just a little.  If AV applications weren't riddled with special exceptions for everything from Microsoft Word to Adobe Photoshop, they'd completely break your computer.  As it is, they break your computer when you do things the AV vendor doesn't "expect" to be normal behavior.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:07 pm »

Explanation done... I'll say again what is said in the Wiki.  It is easy to test.

UNINSTALL ESET completely, reboot, and then test it again.

If the leak goes away, well, then, you have your cause.  You can contact them and tell them that their application is breaking JRiver Media Center 20, and to please fix it, and/or you can add exceptions to protect the JRiver processes and storage locations when you reinstall it.

If it does NOT go away, then we know, beyond all doubt, that it is UNRELATED to AV and can move forward to investigate the cause.

No one is suggesting you run unprotected.  We're suggesting that the only way to be absolutely sure the AV application isn't causing issues, because these kinds of issues are OFTEN AV behavior related, is to remove it and test.  There's no way this should take a huge amount of time.  I'd be willing to bet I spent more time writing these two posts than it would take to do it.  Even with SEP (which is very annoying to remove and reinstall), it would take me no more than 20 minutes to uninstall it, test, and reinstall it after.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:18 pm »

"little piddly"

Ouch.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »

I can see the 4K increase during playback as well, however its not a leak, nor is it permanent. If you leave it playing for hours, it won't increase permanently.
Not sure what exactly is using this memory (and its really super hard to find out), but as long as its not leaking and remains at stable levels, I don't care.

120mb of usage is not much at all for a complex application like MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »

I'm ok with that.  

Vocalpoint

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »

I can see the 4K increase during playback as well, however its not a leak, nor is it permanent. If you leave it playing for hours, it won't increase permanently. Not sure what exactly is using this memory (and its really super hard to find out), but as long as its not leaking and remains at stable levels, I don't care.

Glad you can see it. I really don't care either. Was just kinda curious as to what was going on.

Cheers!

VP

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 02:41:33 pm »

Unless you take 20 minutes or so to 100% ensure that ESET has absolutely no way of accessing MC20.exe or even knowing about any of the filetypes that it "could" access - the mods here will continue to remain skeptical about it.

VP

My point was the AV was running without exceptions and not interfering with J River on the newest version of both programs so it shouldn't be the source of the problem especially if you've added exceptions.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 05:38:56 pm »

My point was the AV was running without exceptions and not interfering with J River on the newest version of both programs so it shouldn't be the source of the problem especially if you've added exceptions.

Well - after all the lectures on this thread yesterday - I did a deep clean of ESET and removed every trace of it. And then tested MC again. The 4K pages continued to pile up during playback.

In addition today - I did my annual cleanup of apps and crap I no longer use - and then I put ESET 8.0 on the PC. I also removed some USB connections from the PC and simplified my cabling in and around the PC.

Now MC's memory usage stays dead constant when minimized to the tray. Only 70MB in use. Nice!

As I have no idea what exactly was happening yesterday - won't worry about it. MC is working great and that's all that matters.

Cheers,

VP

pr1me

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 08:07:02 am »

I've noticed a memory problem as well with JRiver.

Under specific conditions, it eats up Ram constantly.
If i put a bunch of TV show in the playlist after several hours it end up with 2.5gb Ram used and at that point, JRiver becomes very slow (probably due to 32 bit app memory restrictions).
After a couple of test, i found out that it's bound to dual monitor and the "enable hardware acceleration" feature.
If i run with 2 monitor and "enable hardware acceleration" is enabled, this memory eating beast wont stop.
If i run with 2 monitor and "enable hardware acceleration" is disabled, the memory usage reset itself (as it should?) and there is no problem even after several hours.

If i disable the second monitor and run with only one (hardware accel enabled or disabled) this memory problem doesn't happen at all (everything is fine).

AV is disabled for those test, even if it's enabled it's set to not monitor JRiver in any way. (Kaspersky internet Security 2015).
Tried with onboard audio and X-Fi sound card and the same thing happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6QfhnBgX0

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:04 am »

Are you using RO Std or RO HQ? Which kind of graphics card? Tried updating graphics drivers?
I use MC on a multi-monitor system every day, and never seen a clear problem like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pr1me

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:14 am »

Are you using RO Std or RO HQ? Which kind of graphics card? Tried updating graphics drivers?
I use MC on a multi-monitor system every day, and never seen a clear problem like that.

Using red october standard (second monitor in portrait flipped, doesn't work with madvr)

2x GTX titan SLI with Nvidia 347.25

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 10:24:59 am »

SLI doesn't benefit video in MC, did you try disabling SLI for the MC process, and see if that changes anything?
It can sometimes result in weird problems.

I don't think any of our software can really cause that, its more likely the memory ends up in the video renderer somewhere, which is a Microsoft component.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pr1me

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

Tried disabling SLI but it didn't change anything.
I guess it must be something else.
I'm fine with it since i can disable hardware accel and make the problem go away.
If i find something else i will add it to this topic.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 12:04:02 pm »

why would you put a bunch of tv shows in playlist? I use theater view and when one tv show is finished, it starts playing
automatically the following and so on. You can select this in MC if you want to continue or stop after an episode.
Works btw also with playlists. I don't have the memory problem, but I have lots of RAM inside my htpc.
Maybe setting your windows paging file different can solve this?

pr1me

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 05:05:21 pm »

This happens regardless of the view mode.
The theater view is not as versatile as the standard view and it simply doesn't suit my needs.
I tried disabling the page file or set just 200mo and it didn't change anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up