INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Send Playlist to an External HHD  (Read 1697 times)

jhermosillo

• Recent member
Send Playlist to an External HHD
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:03:11 pm »

Hello All, I want to send a playlist to an external HHD, but I cant see how to do it. I can do it dragging and dropping to the drive but this method does not create the Album, artist folders, just transfers the files. Any suggestions

Thanks

Jherm

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Send Playlist to an External HHD
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:32:14 pm »

If you want exact copies of the files on your external hard drive, and don't care about converting them on the fly or anything, a simple way is:

* Open the Playlist (so you can see the list of files)
* Control-A to select all the files
* Right-click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files
* Set it like this:

Click to embiggen.

Where P:\ is your external drive.  If you want the existing paths preserved instead of creating a new folder-filename structure, you can put it in Find and Replace mode instead, and then just search for the original drive letter and replace it with the external one (or variations on this theme).

If you also want to export the actual playlist (to preserve the order of the list, for example) you can export any Playlist or Smartlist to disk.  Right click on the Playlist in the tree and choose Export Playlist, or choose File > Export Playlist.  There are a variety of export options, including using relative paths.

If instead you want to do one of these:
* Sync to the same drive over and over again
* Automatically convert the files as they're copied over
* Automate the process

Then you might be best off setting the external drive as a Handheld in MC.  You can add any folder or filesystem location to MC as a "virtual handheld" and sync to it.  Handhelds have a variety of ways to send Playlists to them, of course.  The handheld system can automatically include the playlists for you (with relative paths already done right), convert files on the fly if desired (or always preserve originals, if preferred), and all sorts of nifty things.  Go to Tools > Options > Handheld, and click Add a device to get started.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jhermosillo

• Recent member
Re: Send Playlist to an External HHD
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:06 pm »

Thanks Glynor, It worked perfect. Much Appreciated!

Jherm
Pages: [1]   Go Up