INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Store my library in a cloud and play through MC?  (Read 3471 times)

bbuckeye

• Recent member
Can I Store my library in a cloud and play through MC?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:17 am »

I've seen talk of this as I searched the posts, but couldn't find a specific answer.  My question, can I put my music files on an online drive (Google drive for instance) and play just like they were on a local hard-drive?  using MC of course.

My first thought was to map a drive letter to the online drive, but can't see where this is possible with any online drive service.

Second thought was that MC might just point to an online location in the import settings, I've not upgraded to the newest preferred version of MC, so this may be an option, but again, didn't see anything in the posts.

Any thoughts on this or previous threads I can't find without getting to convoluted?  Thanks!

Bruti

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I Store my library in a cloud and play through MC?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59:35 am »

Practically all of the cloud services have desktop programs that allow you to treat the online storage as a local folder.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:08 am »

Google Drive does, but it syncs the data to/from the local folder.  The purpose isn't for backup, it's for total storage.  Are you aware of another service that allows this?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »

The easiest for you would be something like Gladinet Team.

If you have administrator rights on your web server you can install any number of services that will allow mapping in Windows.

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »

That's not bad BryanC - I did just learn that this comes down to Webdav support http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV .. If the online storage supports this or not.  Google Drive does not, although there are some tricky ways around it, dropbox doesn't either, but they do encourage 3rd party that can do it, but it costs $$'s.  Found box.com that does, so basically, if your internets and wallet can handle it, no more upgrading large hard-drives.  In theory, starting to work on this now.  Thanks for the help!

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:09:44 pm »

Oh, I'm sooo close!!  got the box.com storage mapped to my puter, got a song to play (with VLC player), but can't get a song to play with MC.  When you double click or drag to MC, it pauses then nothing happens.  When you try to add the network location in import, message pops up "This directory could not be found, please enter a valid directory that you have permission to access."

Wonder if this is b/c of the login/security of the online storage?  Windows doesn't ask for this each time, it's saved.  Any thoughts? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up