INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Id USB Kit Installation Instructions  (Read 34183 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Id USB Kit Installation Instructions
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:01:25 pm »

Requirements
Please note that this process requires hardware that is either an Intel NUC 2820 or compatible.

DIY'ers are likely to have to pay close attention to the video hardware. The NUC 2820 video hardware is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Kernel driver in use: i915

At least a 16 GB drive is needed to install the system. Space > 16 GB can be used for media storage.

You MUST have an Internet enabled ETHERNET connection to the Id to complete this process.

Procedure
1.  Insert the Id stick into a USB2 or USB3 (faster) port and power up your hardware.

2.  Enter the BIOS boot menu. On a NUC, this is F10.  Choose to boot from the Id stick and hit enter.

3.  Choose Build from the boot menu and hit enter.  Wait while the Id stick boots to the main menu.

4.  Choose Create Id from scratch and hit enter.  This will destroy all data on your attached SSD or hard drive.

Read the reported drive characteristics carefully.  There will be no partition table on an empty internal drive.  If there is a partition table visible, the drive was previously used or is an external drive.

Hit y and enter to start the process OVERWRITING the data on the drive.

Please be patient. The drive will be formatted, file systems created and firmware copied onto the drive. This will take 5 minutes or more.

5.  When the firmware copying is finished an access key will be generated and you will be queried for the registration code (included in the package).

Pay close attention to the differentiation of the number 0 and the letter O in the registration code.
Enter the registration code and hit enter. You'll be asked to confirm the code.

Hit y and enter if it's correct, if not, n and enter and you will be able to re-enter the code.

6.  Enter a valid email address. This is necessary in order to retrieve your license from the JRiver license server.

7.  In about 30 seconds you should see "License installed successfully". If not, repeat #5 and #6.

You must have an Internet enabled ETHERNET connection for this to complete.

8.  If everything went well hit enter to return to the main menu.
From the main menu, do 99 to shutdown. Remove the Id stick when prompted and hit enter.

9.  Power up your new Id!

Trouble shooting
At the Id's boot menu, you can choose the memory test if you want to check your memory first. When the memory test has completed a pass you can simply power off your hardware and power it back on to restart.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Id USB Kit Installation Instructions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »

So if I read this correctly, the DIY computer/device must also have video hardware that is compatible with the i915 kernel driver? Is this the only video driver available in the kit? Or are there other video drivers available on there, but the user is trying at his or her own risk?

Is there any limitation to the CPU supported?  For example, must the CPU support 64-bit, SSSE3 instructions (or any other instruction set), etc.? There are some CPU's, such as the Pentium 4 500 series, that ran on i915 chipsets, but did not support these features.

(Just wondering, before I set aside an old laptop to use as an Id device, only to find out it is not compatible.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:12:24 am »

We're still not certain what the boundaries are for video.  Text mode will probably work on anything.  NUC's are most likely to work with the graphical mode.  Intel drivers may fix problems.

Bob may be able to give you a better answer.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:27:19 am »

So if I read this correctly, the DIY computer/device must also have video hardware that is compatible with the i915 kernel driver? Is this the only video driver available in the kit? Or are there other video drivers available on there, but the user is trying at his or her own risk?

Is there any limitation to the CPU supported?  For example, must the CPU support 64-bit, SSSE3 instructions (or any other instruction set), etc.? There are some CPU's, such as the Pentium 4 500 series, that ran on i915 chipsets, but did not support these features.

(Just wondering, before I set aside an old laptop to use as an Id device, only to find out it is not compatible.)

Minimum CPU level support required is i386 SSE2.
The Kit currently supports i915 graphics, the Id has:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Also used without modification:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
and
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:34:17 am »

Thanks, Jim and Bob, that helps. Here is another question.

If I decide I want to install the Id Kit USB stick on another computer, either because I decided to upgrade computers, or because I wanted a 2nd DIY Id around the house, is that OK per the license? Or do I need to buy another USB stick/license?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:08 am »

It's OK to use the license on a few machines in your home.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »

Thanks, JimH. :)

edstiles

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:25:19 am »

Two questions:

First, would it be possible to purchase the Id from JRiver with no hard drive and just the USB install kit? I'd like to use a larger Solid State drive than what is available, and this would allow me to experiment with a laptop or old PC as well if I wanted to (based on the comment above that the USB stick can be used for more than one install). I want to use USB output for WAV, FLAC and DSD music formats.

Second, I'm not clear if the Id can output DSD to USB, I've seen conflicting information on the site?

I intend to use this with my Geek Pulse DAC (if it ever arrives) and Geek Pulse LPS (Linear Power Supply), I'm exploring options on both NUC power ( a linear power suppy ) and USB power with a split cable allowing the the Geek Pulse LPS to provide USB Power. I'm currently using an Oppo 95 to stream WAV and FLAC and am happy with the results.

All my music is stored on a Netgear NAS, and is either upsampled CD or high res downloads, PCM and DSD from HDTrack or similar.

Thanks,

-Ed

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:59:38 am »

Two questions:

First, would it be possible to purchase the Id from JRiver with no hard drive and just the USB install kit? I'd like to use a larger Solid State drive than what is available, and this would allow me to experiment with a laptop or old PC as well if I wanted to (based on the comment above that the USB stick can be used for more than one install). I want to use USB output for WAV, FLAC and DSD music formats.

Fair question that drives at the whole point of the USB kit (as I understand it, anyway).

I grabbed myself a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXI3H-4010, chucked in an old SSD that I had spare, loaded it with some sticks of SO-DIMM and now I've got myself a piece of Id wonder. 2EZ mate ..  ;)

The Brix has an i3 CPU so it's got a bit more going for it than the standard NUC offering, in terms of video capability.

I've yet to test it for audio from the S/PDIF Optical Out, so that's an unknown at the moment but the capability is there on paper at least. The plan is to plug digital audio hooking straight into the digital input that I've got on a spare amp that's been looking for a playmate. This is one area where the NUCs come up short as an audio package straight out of the box....   :-\   ... life may be a box of chocolates but life's also about compromise. The great thing about the USB kit is that the individual can decide what those compromises will be ...   ;D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 02:35:25 pm »

Is it safe to assume that a laptop with an I7 processor will work with the ID Usb kit?
Also, what about a beagleboard?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 05:10:52 pm »

Is it safe to assume that a laptop with an I7 processor will work with the ID Usb kit?
Also, what about a beagleboard?
Check a couple messages above on the video support.

No arm devices at this time.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »

Check a couple messages above on the video support.

thanks.  I saw above but I'm not sure what it means.  I'm guessing that if someone was able to use an i3 processor that an i7 would work too.  But I'm not that computer chip savvy.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »

thanks.  I saw above but I'm not sure what it means.  I'm guessing that if someone was able to use an i3 processor that an i7 would work too.  But I'm not that computer chip savvy.
It's not the processor that matters, it's the video hardware (at least if you want to run in GUI mode).

gabeg

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Id USB Kit Installation Instructions
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:24:15 pm »

It's not the processor that matters, it's the video hardware (at least if you want to run in GUI mode).
My i7 has video on the chip.  Intel hd 3000.    Does that help?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:52 am »

My i7 has video on the chip.  Intel hd 3000.    Does that help?
That will likely work.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:31 pm »

That will likely work.

Thanks.  Will let you know.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 07:49:36 pm »

I didn't recieve a registration code.  What do I do?

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:14 pm »

Is it possible to install a remote desktop application on the id (or computer with the id installed on it)?  That way you don't need a monitor at all.   In any case, in headless mode, how would one make changes to settings, etc?

Hilton

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 05:23:48 am »

Is it possible to install a remote desktop application on the id (or computer with the id installed on it)?  That way you don't need a monitor at all.   In any case, in headless mode, how would one make changes to settings, etc?

I think that Bob is now working on an update to allow this. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:08 pm »

I think that Bob is now working on an update to allow this. :)
Yes, that's in the works thanks to the users :-)

As it exists now, it was intended to be booted into GUI mode to change the settings.
There are also a few settings (like the audio device and zone) that can be changed via the web interface.
That's available on the ip address of the Id on port 52199.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:00 pm »

Yes, that's in the works thanks to the users :-)

As it exists now, it was intended to be booted into GUI mode to change the settings.
There are also a few settings (like the audio device and zone) that can be changed via the web interface.
That's available on the ip address of the Id on port 52199.

Awesome.  I assume that beta10's web browser won't allow installation of any software.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:17 am »

Awesome.  I assume that beta10's web browser won't allow installation of any software.
You mean the web browser in the GUI? It's not running at an admin user level so it can't install software.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:16 am »

I'm wondering; did anybody tried to install the USB kit on a Mac Mini with Intel graphics?

Hans Dampf

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 06:49:00 am »

I bought your USB Kit and an Intel NUC D34010WYKH. I added 8GB RAM plus a 1.5 TB HDD. I followed your installation instructions and everything seemed to work fine.

Somehow I managed to get the Linux system with the Media Center software running. It didn't start automatically, I needed to press some buttons. I don't think I will be able to recall what I did. Is there a way to get the system running without any interaction? I would like to run the NUC without the monitor.

How can I add music? I plugged in an external hard drive (FAT) but have no idea how to find it in this environment.

Edit: After an software-update the Linux together with Media Center now starts automatically.

Another Edit: Now the system shows up in my network environment and I can add the music files.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 06:23:09 am »

Works fine now in a basic set-up:

I have: Intel NUC D34010WYKH with 2 x 4GB RAM and a 1.5 TB hard drive (spinning drive. A left-over I had from another project). I don't have WiFi yet, so I used a LAN-cable from my repeater to the NUC.

Installation of the Media Center software from the USB stick worked fine, but in the beginning I had some problems finding my way within the new system ( Mac user :-) ). I was able to manually copy my audio files to the NUC over my network, which took a day or two.

I'm not sure if this set-up makes a JRiver Id hardware, so I place my additional questions here (feel free to move them):

1)   In the Media Center settings the names of the directores for storing music and video files are different to those I actually put in the files. Is there a reason for that or is this different names for the same directory? Does MC copy the files to another place? Video and audio files are now in the same directory.

2)   How can I back-up the content of the NUC's hard drive on a daily back-up scheme?

3)   How can I change settings to the Linux system (language, keyboard layout, etc.)?

4)   Do I have access to parts of the hard drive, not used by Media Center? I might not need all the disk space for my audio files and could use it for storing other data.

5)   I started changing the ratings within the NUC's Media Center. A message on the bottom line says that the tags still need to be saved. How can I help to save the tags to the files? (Propably permission problems?)

6)   I was able to connect the Media Center of my MacBook to the Media Center on the NUC and could read the Library there. But when I choose to sync changes a message told me "There was a problem sending changes to the server". On the NUC I enabled the sync function and had to type in a name and password. Is there a specific name and PW I should type in there? I took a new name and PW, but propably should have typed in the one I made up for the Media Center purchase?

7)   The system is set-up to release audio over the HDMI socket. I'm not familiar to HDMI and changed it, so it uses the USB outlet. I also couldn't find an adapter that brings the audio signal from HDMI to the electrical or optical digital inputs of my active loudspeakers. Maybe someone knows a solution for this (if there is any).

8 )   Within a list of, let's say an artist, I can't sort the albums by date, so that the oldest album comes up first. It's stuck by newest album on top (which I don't like).

Thanks for helping!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 10:23:44 am »

I'm not sure if this set-up makes a JRiver Id hardware, so I place my additional questions here (feel free to move them):
It pretty much is and your questions are general enough so we'll take them here.
1)   In the Media Center settings the names of the directores for storing music and video files are different to those I actually put in the files. Is there a reason for that or is this different names for the same directory? Does MC copy the files to another place? Video and audio files are now in the same directory.
The Id's export partition is symbolically linked under the Music directory and since that's used for auto-import by default there is no reason to add it.
It doesn't matter that video and audio files are under the export directory together.
2)   How can I back-up the content of the NUC's hard drive on a daily back-up scheme?
Since the firmware can be restored and the libraries are automatically backed up to the export partition on boot there isn't a reason to backup the NUC's firmware partition.
You may want to keep backups of the database and files from the export partition. The way I use the Id is actually as a backup for my music collection as well as a server/renderer.
3)   How can I change settings to the Linux system (language, keyboard layout, etc.)?
This isn't possible with the current firmware
4)   Do I have access to parts of the hard drive, not used by Media Center? I might not need all the disk space for my audio files and could use it for storing other data.
No. The firmware control partition has room for the firmware, file buffering for playback and room for future expansion. The rest of the space is devoted to the export partition.
5)   I started changing the ratings within the NUC's Media Center. A message on the bottom line says that the tags still need to be saved. How can I help to save the tags to the files? (Propably permission problems?)
Files on the export partition or mounted share or usb device need to be read-write.
6)   I was able to connect the Media Center of my MacBook to the Media Center on the NUC and could read the Library there. But when I choose to sync changes a message told me "There was a problem sending changes to the server". On the NUC I enabled the sync function and had to type in a name and password. Is there a specific name and PW I should type in there? I took a new name and PW, but probably should have typed in the one I made up for the Media Center purchase?
You can use any name and password you want for library sync. This is user defined.
7)   The system is set-up to release audio over the HDMI socket. I'm not familiar to HDMI and changed it, so it uses the USB outlet. I also couldn't find an adapter that brings the audio signal from HDMI to the electrical or optical digital inputs of my active loudspeakers. Maybe someone knows a solution for this (if there is any).
HDMI can be somewhat tricky. You need to either run in GUI mode or use the text mode that does HDMI initialization to have the audio work properly over the HDMI cable.
8 )   Within a list of, let's say an artist, I can't sort the albums by date, so that the oldest album comes up first. It's stuck by newest album on top (which I don't like).
If you are running in the GUI mode and click on the date field header in the list it should sort by date.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 12:06:40 pm »

Thanks Bob for the fast reply.

I ordered a WiFi card and hope it will be recognized by the system when it's installed. Or do I then need to re-install everything?

What is the export partition? All I see in my network is the Id id-c03fd56a4ffe (what about another "name" for it, like "JRiver Id"?) and there are two drives, ExternalStorage and InternalStorage. ExternalStorage is empty and InternalStorage has four folders, LibraryBackup, lost+found, media, and PreviousLibraryBackup. Also there is a REDAME.TXT about where to put the media files. I copied all my files to the NUC's "media" folder, as it says in the readme.txt of the "internal storage" folder.

I know that files have to have read-write permissions, but I'm not sure if this is the problem, when I changed the tags. The permissions are correct on my Mac when I copied them to the NUC. There, I can't see their permissions as I don't have the possibility to do anything else on the NUC but to see and work with the Media Center software. The Mac's Finder doesn't show them. I guess there's no way to find out about the permissions. What else could it be that MC is unable to save to the tags?

The problem sorting the albums by year with oldes album on top is in the GUI mode. But I guess it's a problem with the system interpreting my mouse's clicks (which works fine in other Linux environments), as each click opens a menu instead of starting the sorting.

Just now I came home from work and started the NUC. When I started to play a song, a message came up "Playback could not be started on the output ALSA using the format 44.1 kHz 2ch. This output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format...". I then had to change the output device, which was something I did yesterday. I tried again and shut down the NUC and restarted it. No problems then. You might have a look at that.

Also: I use the skin "Black on Black". It works but when the system starts, a warning comes up that the skin was designed to work with Windows. You can't work without clicking the ok button of the message.

Also: When the message came that the playback couldn't start (see above), there is a "Help" button in the message window. This opens a window of Firefox and shows the help pages of your wiki. It then is not possible to switch back to the MC software without closing Firefox. Otherwise you only have empty window frames. I'm not familiar with Linux, but to me it seems to be a general problem of showing the content of more than just one window (sorry if I'm wrong, it's the impression I have).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 12:35:11 pm »

I ordered a WiFi card and hope it will be recognized by the system when it's installed. Or do I then need to re-install everything?
An intel card should be recognized automatically.
What is the export partition? All I see in my network is the Id id-c03fd56a4ffe (what about another "name" for it, like "JRiver Id"?) and there are two drives, ExternalStorage and InternalStorage. ExternalStorage is empty and InternalStorage has four folders, LibraryBackup, lost+found, media, and PreviousLibraryBackup. Also there is a REDAME.TXT about where to put the media files. I copied all my files to the NUC's "media" folder, as it says in the readme.txt of the "internal storage" folder.
The export partition is the InternalStore share.
I know that files have to have read-write permissions, but I'm not sure if this is the problem, when I changed the tags. The permissions are correct on my Mac when I copied them to the NUC. There, I can't see their permissions as I don't have the possibility to do anything else on the NUC but to see and work with the Media Center software. The Mac's Finder doesn't show them. I guess there's no way to find out about the permissions. What else could it be that MC is unable to save to the tags?
Not sure. It sounds like it should work. What kind of files are they?
The problem sorting the albums by year with oldest album on top is in the GUI mode. But I guess it's a problem with the system interpreting my mouse's clicks (which works fine in other Linux environments), as each click opens a menu instead of starting the sorting.
Left click on the header line (i.e. Date) should just do a sort. Not sure how you're seeing what you are seeing.
Just now I came home from work and started the NUC. When I started to play a song, a message came up "Playback could not be started on the output ALSA using the format 44.1 kHz 2ch. This output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format...". I then had to change the output device, which was something I did yesterday. I tried again and shut down the NUC and restarted it. No problems then. You might have a look at that.
If the output device is external and it's not there or not seen as being there upon boot MC will switch to the default device.
Also: I use the skin "Black on Black". It works but when the system starts, a warning comes up that the skin was designed to work with Windows. You can't work without clicking the ok button of the message.
I'll check this, the skin probably should be removed.
Also: When the message came that the playback couldn't start (see above), there is a "Help" button in the message window. This opens a window of Firefox and shows the help pages of your wiki. It then is not possible to switch back to the MC software without closing Firefox. Otherwise you only have empty window frames. I'm not familiar with Linux, but to me it seems to be a general problem of showing the content of more than just one window (sorry if I'm wrong, it's the impression I have).
That's a bug in the current release of MC for the Id. It has been corrected and when the update is ready will be solved.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 02:14:36 pm »

Bob, thanks a lot for your answers and the time you spend with me. I really appreciate this. I hope not all of my questions are "stupid", but as you might have guessed, it seems I would need some help. Maybe 25+ years with a Mac made me a bit sleepy about the "real" computer life...

As for my sorting issue: I guess the main problem was, I didn't chose the correct "Group By" item.
But in general: I still can't change the sorting order. I can't do a physical left click, as my mouse only has one button. The Mac-system can simulate a left and a right click, but I guess Linux can't do this. Whenever I click my mouse at one of the column headers, it does not change the sorting, but a menu window pops up. The window does not give me the option to sort from a to z or from z to a. There also is an a arrow that shows down, but I can not change this. Maybe it's possible to add the sorting feature to the window that pops up? ("Sort Inside Groups by Date" / "Sort All Files by Date..."). Would be great for us Mac users.

The problem of a need to change the output after starting the system didn't come up again. Maybe I haven't saved this setting...

I just checked what files made MC to say it can't save the changings to the files. It's all FLAC files. It works with the few mp3s and AAC files I've got. When I got the time, I'll try again something.

Thanks again!

kees1000

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:33 am »

Is a 2 disc install possible?
I build my own musicserver (not a NUC) and want to install the JRiver ID firmware on an SSD and the music files on the second HDD. All inside my server case.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 10:52:07 am »

Is a 2 disc install possible?
I build my own musicserver (not a NUC) and want to install the JRiver ID firmware on an SSD and the music files on the second HDD. All inside my server case.
Yes, with the Id kit you can install the OS on a ssd.
Partition and format a second drive with any linux live iso. Recommend that you format it one MBR partition of ext4 filetype.
Enable the usb drives as read/write in the external media menu and it should be mounted under /media

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 11:40:03 am »

Partition and format a second drive with any linux live iso. Recommend that you format it one MBR partition of ext4 filetype.
Enable the usb drives as read/write in the external media menu and it should be mounted under /media

Bob, isn't MBR formatting limiting for an HDD?  If his drive is larger than 2TB he won't be able to address all available space, right?  

It may not actually matter in this case; I'm just sensitized to the issue as I don't have any spinning drives smaller than 2TB (and had a few failed formattings  :-[ ).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 02:07:35 pm »

Bob, isn't MBR formatting limiting for an HDD?  If his drive is larger than 2TB he won't be able to address all available space, right?  

It may not actually matter in this case; I'm just sensitized to the issue as I don't have any spinning drives smaller than 2TB (and had a few failed formattings  :-[ ).
I've never tried the Id with a GPT formatted drive which is why I suggested MBR which is good up to 2TB.
I'd guess the GPT formatted driver would work as well.

kees1000

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 03:41:01 am »

Thx for your answer, but it is not exactly what I mean..

I will make an install of the system on an mSATA SSD.
After that, I like to know if its possible to setup an internal SATA harddisk for the musicfiles, not an external USB drive...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:07 am »

Thx for your answer, but it is not exactly what I mean..

I will make an install of the system on an mSATA SSD.
After that, I like to know if its possible to setup an internal SATA harddisk for the musicfiles, not an external USB drive...

Sorry if my answer wasn't clear. That's exactly what I did here and it worked. What I was trying to say is the ability of the Id firmware to pickup an external USB drive also works for an internal SATA drive.
The only think to take into account is that you should format the sata drive in advance with ext4 and in a single partition.

coeuslee

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 09:04:17 am »

My installation was working for a couple of nights. Then one night it refused to boot. I tried everything including doing a fresh reinstall. First reinstal works, but it would not get connected to the LAN line even though the during installation, the LAN line worked fine for the purpose of registering the licence. Secondly, it refused to allow me to connect a USB external harddrive.

I tried a fresh reinstal again and now, the system won't even go pass the main screen. Whenever I selected GUI, it would just reboot back to the same screen.

Any ideas what I else I should be trying?

PS : I tried an instal on both an NUC and a laptop with the same results.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 10:43:31 am »

My installation was working for a couple of nights. Then one night it refused to boot. I tried everything including doing a fresh reinstall. First reinstal works, but it would not get connected to the LAN line even though the during installation, the LAN line worked fine for the purpose of registering the licence. Secondly, it refused to allow me to connect a USB external harddrive.

I tried a fresh reinstal again and now, the system won't even go pass the main screen. Whenever I selected GUI, it would just reboot back to the same screen.

Any ideas what I else I should be trying?

PS : I tried an instal on both an NUC and a laptop with the same results.
Try the bootfix option on the installation stick to get it to boot again.

One you get it booting to the main Id menu, use hidden menu choice 66 to clear the network settings, then reboot.
When you reinstall you need to go to the disk menu again to re-enable usb disk access.

coeuslee

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 10:45:30 am »

I tried as instructed, at the end of the script

It goes into "Waiting for network startup to finish (aborts after 1 minute)". two lines of this, then

su: line 1: 3538 segmentation fault  mediacenter20> /dev/null 2>&1

then back to the main iD menu again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:49 am »

I tried as instructed, at the end of the script

It goes into "Waiting for network startup to finish (aborts after 1 minute)". two lines of this, then

su: line 1: 3538 segmentation fault  mediacenter20> /dev/null 2>&1

then back to the main iD menu again.

That's fine.
Now just reselect GUI mode or Text mode from the menu. After the next reboot it should be good to go.

coeuslee

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 11:14:01 am »

That's what I did, but it just reboot back to the ID menu, not GUI or Text mode.

Having said that, in the ID menu, I did a network check and manage to see that the ethernet connection is okay (which is good).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 11:22:37 am »

That's what I did, but it just reboot back to the ID menu, not GUI or Text mode.

Having said that, in the ID menu, I did a network check and manage to see that the ethernet connection is okay (which is good).
That's odd.
Would you PM me with the details of when you received your ID USB kit?

canyoncruz

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:35 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to load the Id software into a NUC i7. I will go over the stumbles in case this helps anyone.

First I plugged into my TV's HDMI. The screen would go blank when going into the bios. This was fixed by bringing home an ASUS monitor with HDMI input from work. 12.4 does not work with 1.0 the TV has.

Next is the most frustrating. A two hard drive system. I installed an SSD for the system and an HDD for the files. No matter what I do, the Id only recognizes the HDD for installation.
I have tried with UEFI disabled as per Intel's instructions for Linux.
I have tried changing the boot order in the BIOS.
I have formatted the drives as per your instructions using GParted (Though there is no MBR option, but a GPT)
I tried removing the HDD and was able to load the Id software and it runs beautifully!
I then configured the USB drives to read/write.
When I installed the HDD, the NUC changed the SDA of the SSD to SDB. By default the HDD becomes SDA. Then the Id software stops loading in the beginning. It is looking in the now SDA HHD hierarchy.

I was reading one can use fdisk to fix this, but what I have read is not intuitive unless you are a code writer.

Do you have a fix using fdisk?

Is it possible for the Id software to not load into SDA by default and let a choice be made?

I am willing to send you the NUC if you want to have a crack at it.

Looking forward to your response.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 03:06:38 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to load the Id software into a NUC i7. I will go over the stumbles in case this helps anyone.

First I plugged into my TV's HDMI. The screen would go blank when going into the bios. This was fixed by bringing home an ASUS monitor with HDMI input from work. 12.4 does not work with 1.0 the TV has.

Next is the most frustrating. A two hard drive system. I installed an SSD for the system and an HDD for the files. No matter what I do, the Id only recognizes the HDD for installation.
I have tried with UEFI disabled as per Intel's instructions for Linux.
I have tried changing the boot order in the BIOS.
I have formatted the drives as per your instructions using GParted (Though there is no MBR option, but a GPT)
I tried removing the HDD and was able to load the Id software and it runs beautifully!
I then configured the USB drives to read/write.
When I installed the HDD, the NUC changed the SDA of the SSD to SDB. By default the HDD becomes SDA. Then the Id software stops loading in the beginning. It is looking in the now SDA HHD hierarchy.

I was reading one can use fdisk to fix this, but what I have read is not intuitive unless you are a code writer.

Do you have a fix using fdisk?

Is it possible for the Id software to not load into SDA by default and let a choice be made?

I am willing to send you the NUC if you want to have a crack at it.

Looking forward to your response.

Not a JRiver employee, but a possible solution is to edit your fstab to use UUIDs instead of the sda/sdb type nomenclature.  I'm kind of surprised the Id installer doesn't do that already as the hardware device enumeration is pretty unreliable (as you're seeing). 

If you're not comfortable with Linux it's probably better to wait for the JRiver guys to get here as they know best the ins and outs of the Id installer.  If you are comfortable with Linux, you may be able to fix the issue by booting to a live medium of your choice, then chrooting into the Id, and then finding the UUID's with the blkid and/or lslbk commands.  Then you can edit the /etc/fstab file to use a UUID instead of /dev/sda.

If that all sounds like gibberish to you, better to wait for Bob to get in tomorrow, but I thought I'd mention it.

canyoncruz

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 12:51:39 am »

Thank you mwillems.

I found this:  http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/hard-drive-management/changing-a-fstab-to-reference-uuid/

But before I try i will wait for any additional feedback from Bob.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »

Thank you mwillems.

I found this:  http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/hard-drive-management/changing-a-fstab-to-reference-uuid/

But before I try i will wait for any additional feedback from Bob.
It's not possible to change it without hacking the Id as mwillems says.
When I've made these dual drive systems, I put the OS on a ssd card in the built in card slot and a drive in the drive slot.
That works with the current system because the built in slot takes precedence (at least on my NUC).

We may switch to guid for the fstab in the future, it's a little tricky because of the way we cut the images.

canyoncruz

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 05:39:57 pm »

It's not possible to change it without hacking the Id as mwillems says.
When I've made these dual drive systems, I put the OS on a ssd card in the built in card slot and a drive in the drive slot.
That works with the current system because the built in slot takes precedence (at least on my NUC).

We may switch to guid for the fstab in the future, it's a little tricky because of the way we cut the images.

NOOOOO!!! I tried that. But in the i7 NUC, there is an mSATA /PCIe slot and the regular HDD/SDD slot. I loaded the OS with just the mSATA SSD and that worked - until I plugged in the the HDD and on put it takes precedence. So what do I do now? Would you like to take a look at this NUC?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:38 am »

NOOOOO!!! I tried that. But in the i7 NUC, there is an mSATA /PCIe slot and the regular HDD/SDD slot. I loaded the OS with just the mSATA SSD and that worked - until I plugged in the the HDD and on put it takes precedence. So what do I do now? Would you like to take a look at this NUC?
Interesting.
I guess Intel isn't very consistent between NUC revisions.
You probably need to wait until we can take a look at the fstab issue. Maybe use the spinner with an external usb3 dongle for the time being?

canyoncruz

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »

Not a JRiver employee, but a possible solution is to edit your fstab to use UUIDs instead of the sda/sdb type nomenclature.  I'm kind of surprised the Id installer doesn't do that already as the hardware device enumeration is pretty unreliable (as you're seeing). 

If you're not comfortable with Linux it's probably better to wait for the JRiver guys to get here as they know best the ins and outs of the Id installer.  If you are comfortable with Linux, you may be able to fix the issue by booting to a live medium of your choice, then chrooting into the Id, and then finding the UUID's with the blkid and/or lslbk commands.  Then you can edit the /etc/fstab file to use a UUID instead of /dev/sda.

If that all sounds like gibberish to you, better to wait for Bob to get in tomorrow, but I thought I'd mention it.

mwillems, Can you point me to any tutorials one how to chroot into the id usb to give the fstab a try?

Thanks!

CC

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 05:19:04 pm »

DISCLAIMER: This is obviously unsupported activity, so you're probably wandering outside of warranty territory.  I don't work for JRiver, I'm just a user who likes linux, so take this with a grain of salt.

Here is a general guide to doing a recovery chroot:

http://superuser.com/questions/111152/whats-the-proper-way-to-prepare-chroot-to-recover-a-broken-linux-installation

Once you're chrooted in you'll need to find out what the UUID of the drives are, and then fix your /etc/fstab

1) To find out what the UUIDs of your drives are, you'll need to run the command blkid probably using sudo.  blkid will just provide a list of partitions and UUIDs.  If you're not sure which partitions of which, run lsblk; it will show you which partitions are mounted where (if any) and what label the system is currently using for which drive (i.e. you should be able to identify from the output of lsblk whether your ssd is currently sda or sdb, etc.).  

2) Then you'll need to edit your /etc/fstab.  I have no idea what the default partition scheme of an Id looks like, so I can't offer specific advice, but generally each line is an entry, and each entry includes multiple arguments like this:
Code: [Select]
/dev/sda2   /     ext4   rw,relatime,discard,data=orderedThat's just an example, yours may have different parameters.  The important parts for your purposes are the  first and second entries ("/dev/sda2" and "/" respectively).  

The first entry is the partition identifier and will need to be replaced with "UUID=" followed by the appropriate UUID that you found in step one.  It's important that there is no space between the equals sign and the UUID, and no spaces within the UUID.

The second entry is where the partition will be mounted, in my example "/" which is the "root" of the file system.  This is where it might get complicated as I don't know what the partition scheme for the Id looks like.  It's likely though that if you fix the first entry on each line so that it refers to the appropriate UUID, you may not need to mess with the mount locations.  

Once you've fixed it, finish the chroot guide above and take a stab at rebooting.  

Again, this is unsupported, so you'll be "on your own" with this. That said, if you run into issues, open a new thread and I'll try my best to help (time permitting, I've got a one-year old  ;D)

canyoncruz

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 01:55:35 am »

Sorry for the delay.

I chroot'ed and changes to UUID but this did not change the situation. It appears the software wants to look for sda1, and as soon as I plug in the HDD, it becomes sda1. Is it possible to be able to choose the which HD to install within the ID software? Again, with just the m.2, i can install the software, but as soon as I plug in the HDD, the later defaults to sda1.

I have worked with intel on the (for the NUC i7) and there has been some bios issues. They suggest I go back to a way earlier version which has solved this problem for other with linux software. This did not work either.

Thanks so far

CC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up