INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music stops and only restarts when volume is adjusted [May be Surface Pro bug]  (Read 3518 times)

markl

• Recent member

Been using MC19 and MC20 successfully for some time on my Surface Pro through Dragonfly DAC to headphones.

Recently started having this strange problem.  Audio suddenly stops playing through headphones part way through song.  It still appears to be playing OK on MC20 because can see song progressing and spectogram moving - but nothing coming through headphones.  If I adjust the volume on the Surface (either up or down) the music will start playing again OK through headphones.  A few minutes later the problem re-occurs and have to move the volume slider again to get any output.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

I don't believe I have changed anything recently in MC or in Widows 8.1 on the Surface.  Using WASAPI in exclusive mode with the Dragonfly.  Have tried the different volume config settings within MC - system volume, internal volume etc. but problem occurs regardless.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

If you switch to Internal Volume, does it still kick MC into gear when you raise or lower it?  Or is something happening with the system volume only (this is what I'd expect).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

markl

• Recent member

Just tried with internal volume. Audio to headphones stops suddenly (after about a minute) - just as it does with system volume. But this time adjusting volume slider does not restore output. Stays dead. Can see track is still playing on MC - but nothing coming through headphones.

markl

• Recent member

Tried application volume. This exhibits same behavior as system volume.  Audio to headphones stops suddenly after a minute or so - but is restored if I move volume slider. And then cuts out again shortly after.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Just tried with internal volume. Audio to headphones stops suddenly (after about a minute) - just as it does with system volume. But this time adjusting volume slider does not restore output. Stays dead. Can see track is still playing on MC - but nothing coming through headphones.

I think pushing the system slider gets something in the driver to wake up.

I really think it seems like a bad driver.

Can you try a different audio output mode (switch from WASAPI to ASIO, etc.)?  Or can you try updating your driver if you're not using the latest version?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

I was thinking that it might be related to USB devices being put to sleep, since it's a Surface tablet.
Perhaps check the power control panel and see if that helps.

markl

• Recent member

This is looking like a Surface Pro issue.  There is only one USB port on the Surface so I have to use a powered HUB so that I can plug in the external hard drive with all my music (WD 2 TB) plus the Dragonfly USB DAC.   This is the configuration I've been using for months now and have had no problem playing music through MC19, and more recently MC20.

But checking Surface forums today I see that many users are reporting problems when they plug in more than one device to a HUB - with the Surface constantly losing connection with one of the devices.  Assume in my case the Surface is periodically losing connection to the DAC (and adjusting the volume re-establishes it?).  Some are suggesting this started to happen after one of the recent automatic Windows updates to the Surface.  I could understand this sort of issue with an unpowered HUB - but not a powered one.

So basically my Surface is useless for playing my music at the moment.  I have more than 1500 albums in FLAC format on my external hard drive - so no option of moving the data onto the Surface internal hard drive  :-[  

Update:  having trawled through all the Surface forums and blogs on this issue it appears this is a widespread problem for which there is no current fix and which Microsoft are studiously ignoring.  So my advice is don't even think about using JRiver MC on a Surface Pro - unless you are able to fit all your media on the Surface internal hard drive.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for reporting what you found.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Just a thought, you may want to try a different hub. Not all powered hubs are created equal. The Wirecutter recommends this one:
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-hubs/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wisedan

• Recent member

I'm having a very similar issue, on a desktop PC with Windows 7. The system volume gradually (over several seconds) decreases to 0--no audio output from MC or any other program is possible. Pushing the master volume up drives output to the speakers, but it immediately decreases again. Happens on two computers. Direct audio output to speakers.

This same thing happens on internal volume, application volume and system volume. No matter which is selected, the volume automatically fades to 0.

I sure hope there's an easy thing I've overlooked here.

MC 20.0.80

markl

• Recent member

Just a thought, you may want to try a different hub. Not all powered hubs are created equal. The Wirecutter recommends this one:
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-hubs/

Yep - that fixed it Glynor. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a different usb HUB - not the one reviewed by Wirecutter but another powered HUB recommended by some folks on a Surface forum who were also having troubles with devices being continuously mounted/demounted on their Surface Pros.  It's working fine - no drop-outs.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for letting us know.

wisedan

• Recent member

I'm having a very similar issue, on a desktop PC with Windows 7. The system volume gradually (over several seconds) decreases to 0--no audio output from MC or any other program is possible. Pushing the master volume up drives output to the speakers, but it immediately decreases again. Happens on two computers. Direct audio output to speakers.

Working fine now in 20.0.84.
Pages: [1]   Go Up