INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAV Support for DTS-HD MA  (Read 16052 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
LAV Support for DTS-HD MA
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:23:17 am »

Hendrik has been working with another developer (foo86) who has created a DTS-HD MA decoder that is now part of the LAV nightly builds.  

dcadec is a free DTS Coherent Acoustics decoder with support for HD extensions.

Supported features:

Decoding of standard DTS core streams with up to 5.1 channels
Decoding of DTS-ES 6.x streams with discrete back channel
Decoding of High-Resolution streams with up to 7.1 channels and extended bitrate
Decoding of 96/24 core streams
Lossless decoding of Master Audio streams with up to 7.1 channels
Features needing more work:

Support for sampling frequencies above 96 kHz
Support for downmixed output
Error recovery capabilities

So far it looks good (I've just been using Custom Filters) and it appears to be decoding my various test files up to and including 7.1 96khz/24 bit samples well in MC.

Another hit for Hendrik! ... soon no more dtsdecoderdll.dll!!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: LAV Support for DTS-HD MA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:25:30 pm »

This is great news indeed. I will test it asap. Thanks to anybody involved in making it happen!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:54 pm »

I also tested with replacing the LAV Binaries in the MC Folder (instead of custom filters)
- Works for playback
- Works for Audio Conversion (to flac) + appeared to be multi thread safe (eg you can run more that one conversion at the same time).

The only thing that appears to need tweaking is updating the meta data (using Update Library from Tags) as it is not reading the new info, you get get the "old" 32-Bit info and 6CH being populated.

Hendrik, I presume at some point the new library will be the default and there will be no point in dtsdecoderdll.dll OR do you play to keep using this if it is present on a users systems (for some edge case support as an option?).

I must say after years of anticipation it is kinda boring as it pretty much all just works.   ;D  ...just like all good new features should be.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:59 am »

If dtsdecoderdll is present on the users system, it will continue to be used for now.
Regarding metadata, MC will need an update to take advantage of this, but all in good time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:33 am »

Of course.  Just excited by the developments!
[back in box] jmone [/back inbox]

Well done.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:36:04 am »

On a serious note, is there anything that needs testing with this?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 05:35:11 am »

Anyone else had a play?  It is seems great to me but I'm sure other testing may be of help.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:33:27 am »

* glynor == lazy

And since you said it looks good and there's nothing specific that needs testing... I dunno.  I don't have enough DTS-MA content for it to matter very much.  Mine is probably largely vanilla stuff.  I'll probably just wait until it is included in MC, or until Hendrik says "ok, test this."

I think the work to be done is largely compatibility work (supporting all possible versions of the spec).

PS. I find it mildly amusing that laziness was, for the vast majority of human existence on this spinning rock, a positive evolutionary trait.  In the wild constantly hanging on the verge of starving to death, of course, all expenditure of energy has to be delicately balanced against potential reward. You know what they called those industrious little buggers who will stop at nothing, forget the costs, to accomplish their goal and get the prize?  Dead.

So, next time you're feeling lazy, remember that you have millions of years of evolution telling you it is exactly the right thing to feel.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »

While I can't use this without reconfiguring my audio system, or replacing it with an up to date system, this is indeed excellent news.
This may even prompt me to do one of the above changes to my audio system.

Well done guys.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 08:49:18 pm »

Anyone else had a play?  It is seems great to me but I'm sure other testing may be of help.

Yep, I've been "testing" it for a few days now.  Also eac3to.  I have not found any problems, but then my material is mostly just the standard stuff. 
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:36 pm »

Yeah I've been following the eac3to thread as well  :o  How many possible ways is there to master these tracks!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 06:26:27 am »

Hi Hendrik, any more news on how this is looking?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 05:31:34 pm »

5. Changed: Red October updated to LAV Filters 0.65 (DTS-HD support).
6. NEW: Full support for native DTS-HD decoding.

Did a quick test.

Looks good on Files.  Did an update Library from Tags and got the correct 24-bit 6/8 ch info etc.

Does not work on BD or MPLS Particles.  In the compression field you get "audio: dts-hd" instead of "audio: dts-hd ma" and just the Bitdepth of "32" not "24"

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »

...also "Sample Rate" is not being updated - just get a reported 48000Hz instead of 96000Hz for example
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »

Maybe your movie is actually 48000? 96000 DTS material is very rare, only an extremely short list of BDs even use it. (Blu-rayStats.com lists 18! discs, out of 12000)
And if its one of those discs, as long as its 96000 during playback, its all fine.

BDs are special, and unlikely to change what they display for the time being. Should pick up proper channels though.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 06:53:06 pm »

Yeah - playback shows 96K but only 48K in the field (it was a DTS-HD Test File that I tried not a Disk though I do have a few 96K Disks and they are all Music BD's).

The Channels info on BD/MPLS do seem to be correctly read, just not the field naming or bit depth.

I've also noted that I've got some BD/MPLS where MC is not reading any audio or video meta data at all (but I'll start a separate thread on these if I can work out what the common factor is)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:37 am »

Before I forgot, I've updated the wiki - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray#HD_Audio

Was going to post in the Wiki Update thread but it is on the main board and did not want to draw attention to a yet to be released feature.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 02:48:19 am »

I figured out why its only showing 48000 in the sample rate field for some files, and it should be fixed in the next ffmpeg update push, but i'm not going to do one just for that. It takes half a day to build it properly for all platforms <.<
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 02:57:12 am »

No probs and thanks - no rush I was just testing for completeness on my test files.

Here is a weird one for you re: DB Bit Depth that I found when trying to work out why some meta data stays blank after a "successful" "Update Library from Tags".  It seems I have a BD (22 Jump Street) that is a 16Bit DTS MA HD track (did not know these even existed) and this one WAS correctly populated in MC as 16-Bit (and not the default 32 Bit).  So the code is sometimes grabbing the correct Bit Depth but not for std 24-bit tracks.  
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 03:16:55 am »

24-bit seems to show up fine for me on all DTS tracks I tested.

And FWIW, 16-bit DTS-HD MA is far more common than 24-bit on normal movies.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 03:26:17 am »

No probs on files, just on BD.  From your previous explanation I was only expecting to see 32Bit being (incorrectly) populated for all BD's but when testing I got at 16Bit being populated (correctly) in the DB.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 07:27:01 am »

One thing that occured to me, I had to reanalyze a bunch of movies to get the proper channels into the analysis (since my server never bothered to have the decoder dll installed).

Just in case anyone cares, here is my "Need Re-analysis" Smartlist for that:
[Media Type]=[Video] -[Peak Level (R128)]="RL" [Channels]=8
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 09:04:09 am »

One thing that occured to me, I had to reanalyze a bunch of movies to get the proper channels into the analysis (since my server never bothered to have the decoder dll installed).

Just in case anyone cares, here is my "Need Re-analysis" Smartlist for that:
[Media Type]=[Video] -[Peak Level (R128)]="RL" [Channels]=8

When you say "reanalyze", do you mean "Analyze Audio...", or "Update Library (from tags)"?

I started to Analyze Audio on a movie, and it looked like it would take a LONG time, so I cancelled it.  Thought I'd ask before proceeding.

I'm just now getting around to trying to update my video library to show the proper number of channels for my movies.

Also; do I need to remove the .dll before MC/LAV will analyze correctly?  I assume so, but wanted to verify first.  It seems there was some reason to leave it installed (some obscure edge case?), but I can't remember/find what that reason is/was now.

I'm planning to remove it to test, but figured I'd ask.

Finally, your smartlist returns no results on my library of about 600 movies.  I must be 'doing it wrong' :)
pretend this is something funny

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 09:36:41 am »

When you say "reanalyze", do you mean "Analyze Audio...", or "Update Library (from tags)"?

He means Analyze Audio. It does take a long time, and can suck up resources. Best to do it and go to bed.

Also; do I need to remove the .dll before MC/LAV will analyze correctly?  I assume so, but wanted to verify first.

Originally, at least, yes. I don't know if it has now become the default even if it sees the Arcsoft DLL or not.

It seems there was some reason to leave it installed (some obscure edge case?), but I can't remember/find what that reason is/was now.

I know jmone did a huge amount of testing. If there are any edge cases, they're VERY obscure. The built-in LAV decoder is great.

Finally, your smartlist returns no results on my library of about 600 movies.  I must be 'doing it wrong' :)

His would only show files that already have analysis done, but where the channels are set to 8.  If you hadn't done it before much or at all, then it'll come up blank. You might want to read this thread for a more generic solution:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98067.msg677812#msg677812
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »

thanks Glynor; very thorough answer.

I pasted in your smartlist and got 2600 files, ouch!

I'll do them in batches overnight.
pretend this is something funny

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »

I have pretty much BD DTSHDMA 7.1 96000 from a company in Norway, superb music, but never ripped one.
I will do this and check it out, these are classic BDs newly recorded and mastered, recorded in a treated accoustic environment.
I guess that I wont hear the difference between JRiver and my Cambridge Audio.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:35 am »

He means Analyze Audio. It does take a long time, and can suck up resources. Best to do it and go to bed.
I found that "Update Library from Tags" will repopulate Channels, Sample Rate and the Compression Field using the new LAV Decoder correctly, and is much quicker than Analyzer Audio (that will also calculate and populate the Dynamic Range, Vol Level, Peak Level, BMP etc if you care for that on Videos)

I know jmone did a huge amount of testing. If there are any edge cases, they're VERY obscure. The built-in LAV decoder is great.
Hendrik (and a heap of others in his LAV Filters thread) did a bunch of testing and the results were that the new decoder is much more "reliable" in the production of correct channel maps compared to the arcsoft DLL (and different revisions of this).  To my knowledge the only thing this new decoder does not support is DTS Express streams (not that common and typically used for some "commentary" tracks).[/quote]
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up